Clearing CEL codes and distances to drive before inspection ready

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
So… My tune had the rear 02’s shut off, when you try to inspect your car (NY) your computer will read “NOT READY” by the inspection OBDII scanners. Since I have CATs (Magnaflow X) and no CEL’s thrown I should be able to pass inspection, I contacted JDM and had them make a tune with the rear O2’s on. The car was down for about a month while I was trying to figure out some GT500 throttle body issues (again) AND my registration was set to expire on Tuesday and it was Saturday!!! :thud:

My mechanic says you have to drive AT LEAST 50 miles after you disconnect battery, flash your tune or clear DTC/CEL from the computer with a hand held tuner, ive also heard its 100 miles, I also read on the web that its 150 miles but who’s word do you take? And do those miles apply to all cars?
I loaded the new tune and got to driving, I clocked 50 miles but I thought let me get 100 just to be safe because if I don’t pass inspection I have to hand in my plates. I kept driving to furthest possible locations to get my errands done, 80 miles, 90 miles and just at about 100 miles the car threw a CODE! P0430 (Catalyst Inefficiency). Ive been driving with rear 02’s off for a while now, I forgot that the high flow CATs throw this code, ive read that you can get Non-Foulers for the sensors but I did not have the luxury time to get it done.

I woke up early Sunday morning, cleared the P0430 and started driving, drove about 55 miles and went to the inspection place that was supposed to be open on Sunday and it was CLOSED! Frustrated, I drove around looking for a shop and nothing… finally had the idea to call Pep Boys, they were open and they do inspections up until 4:30pm, by that time I had 67 miles clocked, I did not know if that was enough but I could not wait till Monday as I have work all day and I was also concerned about throwing a code around 100 miles again.

THE CAR PASSED INSPECTION! 67 miles was enough to remove the CEL from the computer’s memory and all sensors were in the “READY” state. I hope this helps some of you guys who were in my position and could not get a definitive answer.

Last edited:

Blue Meanie

forum member
Reaction score
Moses, I've had success with NYS inspections with as little as 40 miles. Best bet is to drive it for an hour and give it a shot. If it comes up not ready they'll just turn you away, no charge. Then you can just drive it some more and bring it back.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
Moses, I've had success with NYS inspections with as little as 40 miles. Best bet is to drive it for an hour and give it a shot. If it comes up not ready they'll just turn you away, no charge. Then you can just drive it some more and bring it back.

NYS inspection is $37 PASS OR FAIL! So unless the shop is friendly they will charge you. Also, i am told its not just about a short highway cruise but there should be several cycles of engine On and Off.

Blue Meanie

forum member
Reaction score
The test doesn't start until everything shows ready on the scanner. If you have a "not ready" they can't perform the test and are supposed to show you the door. Unless you go to a place where they throw the car on the rack for the safety inspection first. Most places that handle a lot of inspections plug the scanner in first so they're not wasting time.

I've flashed a tune, driven the car for 45 minutes, drive right up to the shop and had it pass just like that.

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
One thing I learned when trying to pass the last time is be gentle on the car keeping the rpm's down to try and avoid setting a code. I think I had to keep my rpm's under 2000 for quite a while to get everything good to go.

RedMosesSC

Reaction score
If you have a "not ready" they can't perform the test and are supposed to show you the door. Unless you go to a place where they throw the car on the rack for the safety inspection first. Most places that handle a lot of inspections plug the scanner in first so they're not wasting time. .

Pep Boys put me on the rack for 15 min before the computer was hooked up, even removed a tire to check my brake pads as if it were an old hooptie but i guess those guys go by the book.

Blue Meanie

forum member
Reaction score
Yeah, a chain place wouldn't be as good a place to go to as a local shop that handles a lot of inspections. If you need a set of non foulers, I've got a set in my trunk. You can stop by and grab them if you need.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Moses - dude... you're killing me

there is a driving cycle in the manual - it's not about miles.

Readiness for Inspection/Maintenance (I/M) testing
In some localities, it may be a legal requirement to pass an I/M test of
the on-board diagnostics system. If your indicator is on, refer to
the description in the Warning lights and chimes section of the
Instrument Cluster chapter. Your vehicle may not pass the I/M test with
the indicator on.
If the vehicle’s powertrain system or its battery has just been serviced,
the on-board diagnostics system is reset to a “not ready for I/M test”
condition. To ready the on-board diagnostics system for I/M testing, a
minimum of 30 minutes of city and highway driving is necessary as
described below:
• First, at least 10 minutes of driving on an expressway or highway.
• Next, at least 20 minutes driving in stop-and-go, city-type traffic with
at least four idle periods.
Allow the vehicle to sit for at least eight hours without starting the
engine. Then, start the engine and complete the above driving cycle. The
engine must warm up to its normal operating temperature. Once started,
do not turn off the engine until the above driving cycle is complete.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Definitely not about the miles.
See my many posts on this topic. Nothing majic here.
The p0420 and p0430 will occur typically after 2 - 4 'drive cycles'. Each drive cycle, the pcm accumulates counts of signals above a certain threshold, and that accumulation occurs over those drive cycles and eventually throws the code(s). It'll come back.

You need 8 hours between the 1st and 2nd drive cycle for the evap to run and get ready.

To save you time and money, get something that reads the readiness of the monitors, and you can see when they are ready and when they go ready. Learn how to get them to do that so on the 2nd drive cycle, you're on the way to the inspection station. It'll pass at that time.
I've said too much already.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
...not such a dead horse...
You did what you needed to do, and kudos to you!
You figured out what steps you needed to get your car to pass, before it can throw its eventual codes.

It feels good to make such discoveries :)

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back