What to datalog when looking for detonation?

AMChrisRose

AmericanMuscle.com
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Lito told me SPK_ADD_KS should show if it's adding or removing spark as a negative or positive number, but mine only went to .250 twice and 0.000 on one whole datalog. Again I haven't a clear idea on what the numbers actually mean. There are way to many KS PIDs, I'm going to see if I can get some tuners in here!

Lito is right. That value will either go - or + based on how much the knock sensor is adding or subtracting at that point in time.

What you would do (as a tuner) is look at the number you're after in your timing tables as well as any adders or subtractors for temperatures, etc. and find out what the timing is supposed to be at in a given range. Your spark_advance datalog should match. If not, where is the timing going? If your SPK_ADD_KS is showing -1, and you're 1 degree lower in your datalog than you had commanded, the knock sensor is taking it away.

It doesn't sound like you have knock, though.

Another tool is spark_source. Spark_source is a numeric value that can help you determine where the commanded timing numbers are coming from, since there are multiple tables, and also help you find out if timing is being pulled for some reason.

On our tunes, if you go WOT, spark source should be a flat "2" across the entire pull, and then change when you let off. This means that the timing is coming from the correct table. I'm pretty certain you'll find this to be true. That, plus seeing one of your datalogs, I could determine on our end that you are/aren't getting the correct timing based off of what we have inside the table. And if your SPK_ADD_KS is showing 0, then we can say everything looks good.

You will need to datalog AIR_CHARGE_TEMP, COOLANT_TEMP, SPARK_SOURCE, SPARK_ADVANCE, RPM, LOAD, MAF_AD_COUNTS, AIR_FLOW_#/MIN, SPK_ADD_KS, stft1, stf2, ltft1, ltft2, and that should be good for verifying that your spark is perfect. You can email it to me at chris[dot]rose[at]americanmuscle[dot]com or just attach it here, if it allows you to.

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
Sounds good Chris, I have no issues at all with the car I am just looking for a deeper understanding on datalogging myself and hopefully some other people can get good info out of this.
I run your 93 race tune every day now and as usual it's a beast!

Thanks for that info I will look at my logs closer now and I will post one here from the other day.
I usually do a run from 1st to 3rd WOT on a log, that should cover most of the range right?
Hard not to break the speed limit lol

p.s: I do see that spark source is indeed 2 at WOT then goes to 10,18,10 during the shift then 2 again after the shift and back on WOT.

Last edited:

fdjizm

Drag Queen
Reaction score
I emailed you this same thing Chris but incase anyone else in interested I will post them here as well...

I do have a wotbox with the no lift shift feature if you see anything weird between shifts it cuts the ignition for a split second I never take my foot off the gas the whole time. As you can tell the car got hotter and hotter each run, it's about 98* out right now LOL so I guess this is a pretty good test.

The ones named standard are using your standard requested PIDs...
ACT_CAM_ANGLE
AIR CHARGE TEMP
AIR_FLOW_#/MIN
COOLANT TEMP
FUEL SOURCE
LOAD
lt fuel trim b1
lt fuel trim b2
MAF AD COUNTS
PRES_DROP_ACROSS_INJECTORS
RPM
RTRNLS_FUEL_PUMP_DC
short term b1
short term b2
SPARK ADVANCE
SPARK SOURCE

The ones named knock specific are using these PIDs you posted in this thread about detonation...
AIR_CHARGE_TEMP
AIR_FLOW_#/MIN
COOLANT_TEMP
LOAD
lt fuel trim b1
lt fuel trim b2
MAF_AD_COUNTS
RPM
short term b1
short term b2
SPARK_ADVANCE
SPARK_SOURCE
SPK_ADD_KS

You have to rename the files .csv instead of .txt (upload won't take .csv)
Runs are in order from first to last (coolest to hottest) 1st log shows 0.000 the whole time for SPK ADD KS (is it supposed to add too?)

Attachments

• FD Datalog Knock Specific 1st to 3rd WOT 1.txt
    94.5 KB · Views: 17
  • FD Datalog Knock Specific 1st to 3rd WOT 2.txt
    89.8 KB · Views: 3
  • FD Datalog Standard 1st to 4th WOT 1.txt
    75.9 KB · Views: 4
  • FD Datalog Standard 1st to 4th WOT 2.txt
    124.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
I should probably do the same lol my IATs go up to like 170+ when i do that shit

Swarzkopf

forum member
Reaction score
Somewhat off-topic, but still related and fitting enough that I don't think it warrants a new thread: How many of you self-tune your Mustangs? It'd be nice if more of us did this and we started sharing information. Threads like this are a good start.

I plan on starting my own tuning my Pro Racer software shows up this week.

bmaxwell

BÆST
Reaction score
I think BruceH tunes his own car. That's about the only guy I know of on here but I am sure there are more

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back