Now I blew the damn motor. Shortblock?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
but max boost on that blower plus say a 150 shot would be over 600 i hope. And im assuming we are talking about hp at the crank. I was making 500 at the wheels wiiht the stock block and 11 psi.

Damn, how fast do you want to go? 18 psi will give you low 10s on a properly set up car---the 150 shot on top of that you would easily be in the 9s.

Go with a cobra (Kellogg) crank, some good rods and a JE, CP, or similar piston. Spend a little more and build once--especially when you consider your future plans (FI + N20).

gijosh28

Bad Penny
Reaction score
Actually BBR does offer that block witha forged crank. They just dont have it on their site. I am getting it installed at their shop right now.

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
Thanks for all the options on a motor. Im keeping my eyes open for options.

A good point was brought up btw (you detectives). Why did it blow? Well I have a secret, I knew it was running bad. On a cold start it would hesitate and backfire if i gave it too much throttle. This would only go on for a minute. As the car warms, it goes away - hence hard to locate the problem. I assumed this small problem would develop into a bigger one that I could easily find and solve. Well that one fateful day, I forgot about my cold start issue and gave a new club member (njstangers.com ftmfw) a rev to the sky at his request. Thats when it sounded like a bang followed by a rod bouncing around in the block. I now assume I had a fuel issue causing that problem. Its not the tune cuz it DID run well for at least a year and a half. Any ideas? Cuz ive been avoiding the fact that either way im gonna have to fix that too.

frarmar

Killer boots man!
Reaction score
I have the cold start hesitation you described too. My wideband goes way lean when it happens, so it's definately a fuel issue. I have heard of several other people with blowers having the same problem. My solution is to not get into the throttle too much until it's warm. It isn't a that big of a deal to me, shouldn't be giving it hell until it's warmed up anyway...

A good point was brought up btw (you detectives). Why did it blow? Well I have a secret, I knew it was running bad. On a cold start it would hesitate and backfire if i gave it too much throttle. This would only go on for a minute. As the car warms, it goes away - hence hard to locate the problem. I assumed this small problem would develop into a bigger one that I could easily find and solve. Well that one fateful day, I forgot about my cold start issue and gave a new club member (njstangers.com ftmfw) a rev to the sky at his request. Thats when it sounded like a bang followed by a rod bouncing around in the block. I now assume I had a fuel issue causing that problem. Its not the tune cuz it DID run well for at least a year and a half. Any ideas? Cuz ive been avoiding the fact that either way im gonna have to fix that too.

Last edited:

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

I have the cold start hesitation you described too. My wideband goes way lean when it happens, so it's definately a fuel issue. I have heard of several other people with blowers having the same problem. My solution is to not get into the throttle too much until it's warm. It isn't a that big of a deal to me, shouldn't be giving it hell until it's warmed up anyway...

I had a cold start hesitation problem too, I switched tunes to a JDM tune and the problem went away.

Tom

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The promblem with the cold start is in the tune. Its not a hard fix, its just you never know which cars are going to do.

scramblr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I had the hesitation issue as well. If I started driving too soon after starting the car, it would hesitate and RPMs would drop to 500. I had to get in the habit of letting the car warm up for a bit before driving. Interesting to see if the problem will be gone with the new set-up and tune.

klaw

forum member
Reaction score

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
lmao.

I read somewhere that someone had the same problem and first had their tuner richen it up when it was cold....then found a leak at the header and that was the issue. Worth a look...

Steps

forum member
Reaction score
Have the same issue with my Brenspeed tune. Contacted them and they had me adjust my BAP, which did not help either.

I need to get back to them and get this fixed. I NEVER get into the car until it is at full operating temps, but I still want it right regardless.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back