Custom Killer Chiller Installed

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Finally got the Killer Chiler Installed. there are 2 mainstream versions out there and then the custom version. Stage 1 offers minimal coolant cooling while maintaining adequate in cabin cooling. Stage 2 offers more coolant cooling and less in cabin cooling. From what Joe told me at Killer Chiller, I am the first S197 to completely bypass the in cabin A/C cooling and use the A/C solely to cool the coolant.

Before the killer chiller, I would see anywhere from 130-150ish on my IAT's at WOT on the street or strip without using ice and about 115-120 cruising around the streets. Ice is well and good for the track, but it is entirely impractical to use ice on the street. And lets face it, the less I have to do while at the track the better. If i don't have to drain fluid, add ice, then drain more fluid to add more ice, that's a good thing. Plus by running no ice, there's ZERO risk of ice blocking the outlet hose to the pump as well.

I first installed the killer chiller, leaving the heat exchanger plumbed in the system. I figured it would be better to test with the heat exchanger there in case something wasn't working or happened. I saw a decrease in temps of only 10-15 degrees at WOT and cruising on the street. It was almost as if the chiller was doing nothing. At the moment I figured i would have saw lower temps even with the heat exchanger. I knew the heat exchanger would work against efficiency, but I didn't think it would be that much. Boy was i wrong.

After a call to Joe at Killer Chiler, he convinced me to route the lines bypassing the heat exchanger completely. He also had me insulate the coolant tank in the trunk. I used Frost King Pipe Duct insulation from home depot. Actually looks halfway decent, although i still like the bare aluminum look of the tank better, this is form over function until i find something better. He also suggested I insulate the A/C and coolant lines as well. I haven't done the lines yet nor have I installed the cooling fan he provided to help airflow over the A/C condenser. Insulating the tank and bypassing the heat exchanger provided FANTASTIC results. I now see about 95-110 degree IAT Temps at cruising speed and a MAX of 105 Degrees at WOT. And that was a 90 degree, 90% humidity day. The reasoning for higher IAT's at cruise is because there is less airflow through the intake tube and it tends to heat up a bit more vs at WOT the air moves so fast it doesn't have time to heat up.

When i go WOT, my IAT's actually drop haha.

According to Joe, I should see another 10 degree drop or so by insulating the A/C and coolant lines and a few more after I install the fan on the A/C condenser. If i see the advertised drops for the lines and fan combo, that means I will have seen a MAX total drop of about 60 degrees in IAT temps at WOT (from 150 degrees to 90 degrees), an average drop in IAT's of 45 degrees (from 135 degrees to 90 degrees). When running ice i would see IAT Temps of 89 degrees on a 75 degree day and about 95 degrees on a really hot day. So the Killer chiller is like running ice at all times

Now for the info that everyone cares about. Does it sweat, does it drip on the ground, does it puddle, ect. The A/C lines sweat near the accumulator (drivers side black box near the fender and windshield) but that's about it. After driving the car for an hour to an hour and a half and then parking it and letting it run, there's nothing on the ground and very little on the A/C lines themselves. I feel once insulated, it will only be better. I would recommend this to anyone for sure!!!!!! I am damn satisfied with the kit, fit and finish.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
:worth:

nice Ron!!!

Last edited:

BlownAway05

still too slow
Reaction score
def want to see some pictures.

I would think that insulating everything would keep any condensation from forming as the insulation should never get cold enough to allow it (if it is good insulation)

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
damn, I was hopeing to be the first to run that setup....I guess letting you test it will tell me if I can buy it....I will only purchase it after it is deemed "RCBI" (Ron Couldn't Break it)

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no moving parts. how can i break it haha

Hysteria

0 .· ` ' / ·. 30 psi
Reaction score
What does that setup cost?

How soon before you take it to the track and get some times out of that setup? I'd love to see the improvement.

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice. I see they have an air to air setup too. 30 degrees is huge!

Incredible Mr. E

forum member
Reaction score

How soon before you take it to the track and get some times out of that setup? I'd love to see the improvement.

Yes, what does it cost and on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult - how hard was it to install.

This is a big drop in cooling temps!

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

Yes, what does it cost and on a scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult - how hard was it to install.

This is a big drop in cooling temps!

The kit, minus the gauge to monitor cooling temps was 700ish if i recall correctly. id have to go find my reciept. Installation scale would be a 4. If you can remove the battery, battery tray, front bumper, and know how to use a quick disconnect tool for fuel/a/c your set.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Finally got the Killer Chiler Installed. there are 2 mainstream versions out there and then the custom version. Stage 1 offers minimal coolant cooling while maintaining adequate in cabin cooling. Stage 2 offers more coolant cooling and less in cabin cooling. From what Joe told me at Killer Chiller, I am the first S197 to completely bypass the in cabin A/C cooling and use the A/C solely to cool the coolant.

Before the killer chiller, I would see anywhere from 130-150ish on my IAT's at WOT on the street or strip without using ice and about 115-120 cruising around the streets. Ice is well and good for the track, but it is entirely impractical to use ice on the street. And lets face it, the less I have to do while at the track the better. If i don't have to drain fluid, add ice, then drain more fluid to add more ice, that's a good thing. Plus by running no ice, there's ZERO risk of ice blocking the outlet hose to the pump as well.

I first installed the killer chiller, leaving the heat exchanger plumbed in the system. I figured it would be better to test with the heat exchanger there in case something wasn't working or happened. I saw a decrease in temps of only 10-15 degrees at WOT and cruising on the street. It was almost as if the chiller was doing nothing. At the moment I figured i would have saw lower temps even with the heat exchanger. I knew the heat exchanger would work against efficiency, but I didn't think it would be that much. Boy was i wrong.

After a call to Joe at Killer Chiler, he convinced me to route the lines bypassing the heat exchanger completely. He also had me insulate the coolant tank in the trunk. I used Frost King Pipe Duct insulation from home depot. Actually looks halfway decent, although i still like the bare aluminum look of the tank better, this is form over function until i find something better. He also suggested I insulate the A/C and coolant lines as well. I haven't done the lines yet nor have I installed the cooling fan he provided to help airflow over the A/C condenser. Insulating the tank and bypassing the heat exchanger provided FANTASTIC results. I now see about 95-110 degree IAT Temps at cruising speed and a MAX of 105 Degrees at WOT. And that was a 90 degree, 90% humidity day. The reasoning for higher IAT's at cruise is because there is less airflow through the intake tube and it tends to heat up a bit more vs at WOT the air moves so fast it doesn't have time to heat up.

When i go WOT, my IAT's actually drop haha.

According to Joe, I should see another 10 degree drop or so by insulating the A/C and coolant lines and a few more after I install the fan on the A/C condenser. If i see the advertised drops for the lines and fan combo, that means I will have seen a MAX total drop of about 60 degrees in IAT temps at WOT (from 150 degrees to 90 degrees), an average drop in IAT's of 45 degrees (from 135 degrees to 90 degrees). When running ice i would see IAT Temps of 89 degrees on a 75 degree day and about 95 degrees on a really hot day. So the Killer chiller is like running ice at all times

Now for the info that everyone cares about. Does it sweat, does it drip on the ground, does it puddle, ect. The A/C lines sweat near the accumulator (drivers side black box near the fender and windshield) but that's about it. After driving the car for an hour to an hour and a half and then parking it and letting it run, there's nothing on the ground and very little on the A/C lines themselves. I feel once insulated, it will only be better. I would recommend this to anyone for sure!!!!!! I am damn satisfied with the kit, fit and finish.

Ron,

I like the sound of this, what did you do to bypass the interior AC?

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Used the Custom killer chiller kit haha

basically you unhook the 2 lines gonig to the evaporator and reroute them to the killer chiller

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I first thought it was a killa chilla that some "homeboy" made up until I saw one on a GT500 here... lol. :eek:hsnap: I'll ask on the comparison on his set up to yours and see if yours is the first, I'm almost sure of though, I think his is a basic set-up.

im the first s197 to completely bypass the a/c, not to install a killer chiller.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well considering he had to custom buildthe kit from scratch, Told me many times that i was the first, and we had to encorporate a work around in his kit due to the placement of the A/c Clutch sensor, im pretty sure

EagleStroker

N/A Junkie
Reaction score
Call my a whimp, but I couldn't do with out my A/C in the heat we have down here, but that's one hell of an efficient cooler!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back