HELP: Cam Tools

2nd2nunn

Reaction score
does anyone have the OTC part numbers for the wedge and spring compressor for cam swaps

GOTTORQ

Reaction score
no tools needed, plenty of guys have done it without them, including myself, shoot me a PM if u need some help, i used a garden hose

SirKnightTG

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't use the tools. Removing the roller followers by using the spring compressor is completely un-necessary. Just "inch" the cams slowly off and on and you'll be fine. It's also faster and IMO safer that way (b/c otherwise you risk knocking keepers off and dropping a valve and it doesn't take much of a bump to do that!). I also improvised on the timing chain wedge. It doesn't matter that much what you use or how you do it, just keep the tension on the chain so it does not slip off the lower sprocket.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I didn't use the tools. Removing the roller followers by using the spring compressor is completely un-necessary. Just "inch" the cams slowly off and on and you'll be fine. It's also faster and IMO safer that way (b/c otherwise you risk knocking keepers off and dropping a valve and it doesn't take much of a bump to do that!). I also improvised on the timing chain wedge. It doesn't matter that much what you use or how you do it, just keep the tension on the chain so it does not slip off the lower sprocket.

+1. I did this method also and it was a lot easier. I even bought the spring compressor and couldn't figure out how to get the freaking followers off. Just be patience and careful.

Goose

2007 GT/CS
Reaction score
The spring compressor is 303-1039 and the wedge is 303-1175. The spring compressor should run you about $150 and the wedge $94.

5.SLOW

Reaction score
but you have to have the spring compressor to change the springs when the heads are still on the motor. right

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back