HELP!!! GT500/Saleen Extreme Fuel System Swap

Feshdogg

2008 E-Force Bullitt
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am killing myself trying to figure out what is wrong with my installation. Tonight is the 3rd straight night working on my GT500/Saleen Fuel System swap. It seems like I am not getting power to the pump itself somehow.

I haven't check my wires with a voltmeter just yet, but me and my brother have checked and double-checked all the wiring on the harnesses, etc. The Fuel Pump Relay itself is fine as we swapped it with the Horn Relay since they are identical. We also checked the Inertia Switch which cuts off fuel in an accident. If the Inertia Switch is triggered, how difficult would it be to press down on it to reset it? We tried pushing as hard as we both could and it didn't click or anything.

What is the best possibility of what is wrong? Has anyone else encountered this problem before?

HELP!!! Thanks!

Steve

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Double check where you installed the relay for the pumps in the fuse box under the hood. You need to get a volt meter on the driver modules to be sure they are getting power.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
Double check where you installed the relay for the pumps in the fuse box under the hood. You need to get a volt meter on the driver modules to be sure they are getting power.

Where at in cali? I did mine a couple months ago but its still kinda fresh. If ur close, I can swing by.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The inertia switch is really easy to reset, granted it doesnt click or give you any conformation that it works. I had a little wet road spin out on a highway ramp at about 40mph a lil while back, the car stalled. I tried starting it, no go, just pressed the switch in with my thumb lightly a few times and she started.

As for the no power to the pump, i agree get a voltmeter and it sure be easy to find the problem.

Last edited:

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Also check I think its fuse "41" fuel pump relay. I blew that fuse with my gt500 pumps and I had to put a 30amp back in. Came factory with a 15amp.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Do you have the Saleen instructions ? I have them on pdf if you need them . Did you change the 15a to a 30a and add the 2nd fuse to the convertable top spot ?

Feshdogg

2008 E-Force Bullitt
Reaction score
So it's a GT500 fuel system? Look at this thread..

http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26487
Nope, this is a GT500 system but is packaged together from Saleen. There are some subtle differences.

I am pretty sure I know what to do know, the instructions really confused me from Saleen and the wires were a little 'less than cleanly packaged' since it has been on 2 other vehicles already.

I will let you guys know how my 'fix' goes after I get this Edelbrock blower completely on!!!

Steve

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Good luck with the e-force. I have kit#222. Stage 2 from Brenspeed. Have fun with the depinning. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemey.

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
Oh, Steve make sure you CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY FUSE......It will get you out and break you down shorty after a test drive if you don't change it. It calls for chaning it from a 15amp to a 30amp fuse.

Feshdogg

2008 E-Force Bullitt
Reaction score
OK, I figured out what went wrong. The wiring instructions were very ambiguous and I am in no way an 'expert' with electrical systems. Even with an engineering degree, I wasn't able to do it right the first time. I just follow instructions the way they are written.

If you take a look at the attached file and go to page 27, you will notice that Operation 10, 20, and 30 tell you to locate two wires and to cut one of them. Then it says to 'crimp the 2 wires'. Well, I crimped 2 wires but there were now 3 wires since I split one of them. So, I obviously did not include what I would call the '3rd wire.'

Obviously if you are an expert with electrical systems then it probably would have been obvious to you what to do and you would make certain assumptions from the installation instructions from Saleen. If you ask me, the Ford Racing GT500 Kit looks more straightforward. Less splicing, etc.

I hope this helps anyone who is having the same 'no power' problem with the 'Saleen Kit'.

Steve

Attachments

• 10-8002-C14057B - Dual Fuel Pump Kit Install.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 56
  • FordInstShtM-9407-GT05.pdf
    438.2 KB · Views: 28

Feshdogg

2008 E-Force Bullitt
Reaction score
Oh, Steve make sure you CHANGE THE FUEL PUMP RELAY FUSE......It will get you out and break you down shorty after a test drive if you don't change it. It calls for chaning it from a 15amp to a 30amp fuse.
Red,

Who says that you need to change out that Fuse? And is it a Fuse or a Relay? I am still new to all this electrical stuff :)

BTW, I have kit # 249, so I'm not much after yours. I just finished the install last night but had a little problem with the new alternator pulley coming off. We had to use an impact wrench to get the Ford pulley off but just put the Edelbrock pulley on with a ratchet by hand and Blue Threadlocker, like the instructions call for. That didn't really make for the best first test drive! Should we have put the new pulley on with an impact wrench? I am going to go up to Edelbrock on Monday since I need a new pulley, at the very minimum, and possibly a new alternator. No bueno, I know. But you live and you learn from your mistakes. Again, I just wish these instructions were a little more clear. We'll see what Edelbrock says on Monday.

Thanks,

Steve

redstangs9308gt

forum member
Reaction score
No one per say said change it out, however, I changed my stock pump to my gt500 pumps wired everything. Made sure everything was going to be alright, let the car idle for about an hour. Took the car for a test drive everything sounded ok...so I put the hammer down on a long pull. Made it to 4th gear and pop car went dead. I was on the side of the road for about an hour & half before I figured out that I lost power to my fuel pumps. Went pulling fuses and checking relays, and checking all my work back in the trunk. Finally found the problem, it was the "fuel pump relay" fuse that blew. Called Brenspeed and they said."Uumm yeah we have heard some cars doing that, well its no big deal Nick. Just change that fuse out to a 30amp and call it a day." I done it and I haven't set on the side of the road because of a blown fuse since....Did you have fun doing the repinning? I couldn't get the hang of it and had to hardwire my kit.. You was talking about the alternator putting on the new pulley. I really didn't have any problems with that, but I used an impact to get off and put it back on. What size pulley are you running on your eforce? Mine is the 3.25inch......I am going to run the 2.75inch pulley when I get my motor together.

Last edited:

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
You are not the first to have the alternator pulley loosen, but I think the key is to use an impact for tightening the new one. One of the other guys who did one of the early installs had the same issue and his ended up requiring just a new pulley (not an alternator). No issues to date with mine coming loose after a full season of driving.

Freshdogg, which E-force kit are you running??

But these threads on the fuel pump upgrade are timely as I have a GT500 kit in the garage and plan to do the install this winter. Nice to see these E-force kits are selling fairly well with s/n's mid 200s (mine is 007).

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back