Clutch adjustment on a newly installed Exedy?

stixx2002

forum member
Reaction score
Hi all - I recently had an Exedy Mach 500 clutch and flywheel installed, which now has a bit over 500 miles on it. Initially the engagement point was pretty close to the floor. Now its quite a bit higher; almost at the top of the pedal travel. Is there a way to adjust to get it back closer to the floor?

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
No. Your car has a Hydraulic system. I would go back over everything. Make sure the clutch Master is working properly long with the Slave Cylinder. I would not suggest to continue driving the car like this until you get it situated. Tis will cause your clutch to burn up prematurely!

Captainstr8edge

Hardcore Superhero
Reaction score
No. Your car has a Hydraulic system. I would go back over everything. Make sure the clutch Master is working properly long with the Slave Cylinder. I would not suggest to continue driving the car like this until you get it situated. Tis will cause your clutch to burn up prematurely!

wouldn't it be the opposite? the closer to the floor engagement is the more likely its rubbing while disengaged? Keep in mind I don't know too much on clutches or transmissions.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
wouldn't it be the opposite? the closer to the floor engagement is the more likely its rubbing while disengaged? Keep in mind I don't know too much on clutches or transmissions.

I have seen it work either way. With the pedal having to come up further, it seems there is not enough Hydraulic Pressure.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
Have you tried to bleed the system since this happened? Was the slave cylinder replaced as well? Jack up the driverside and slowly pump the clutch, see if that helps.

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
My understanding is that these are self bleeding systems. At least my year.

Easy way to tell. Hard to see but look under the car on the top drivers side of the transmission/bellhousing just above where the line goes to the slave cylinder. Is there a bleeder screw?

ArtQ

forum member
Reaction score
A low pedal engagement point most likely means it needs to be bled. A higher pedal would indicate that it has all the air out of the system. They are all self bleeding, including the early lines with the bleeder. It's possible that your system wasn't bled all the way after the clutch install. As you used it, it bled the system out more, hence why the engagement point moved up the pedal. It takes ALOT of pumps of the pedal to get all the air out. Even if you use the vacuum bleeder method. I never found raising the front left of the car to help at all. Pretty sure that's just an "internet trick". When the slave is replaced, if it was not bled before installing, it takes much longer to bleed the system. Also, as the clutch disc wears, the pressure plate moves closer to the flywheel, which causes the diaphragm fingers to move closer to the slave cylinder. This will also make the engagement point move up the clutch pedal.

SNKPWR

forum member
Reaction score
so would he now need to remove shims under the slave to move it a little further away from the fingers? Sounds like it is disengaging the pressure plate very soon into the pedal travel, which seems like it would end up pushing too far in on the fingers at full extension of the slave?

2005Redfire6

forum member
Reaction score
When I installed my Spec 3+ it also engaged closer to the floor but now it is near the top and has stayed that way. 30k miles later and still no problem.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back