Help w/ Entry Level AutoX/HPDE Build

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Just joined the forum and posted my introduction. I wanted to join an S197 dedicated forum and was told this place had a number of corner carvers so this is where I'm going to start. I've owned two New Edge Mustangs and this is my second S197 5.0. I've always been far more intrigued with suspension/handling than I have with engine performance/raw power. (there's a place for that too in road and track but not just yet).

This thread may not be so much about asking questions all the time, but also updates on my progress and lessons learned. I've spent a ton of time reading Vorshlags posts and many others on here from other forums (Whiskey).

My mission with this car will be to make it a track ready, competative car, while still retaining the ability to drive it daily on a different wheel setup as well as continue to keep the car cleanly modded for shows/meets.

So a little background, I'm 26 years old and have a stable career. After years of tinkering with mustangs through college and doing what seemed like every mod on a budget, I've decided to do things right with this car. Last summer a local performance shop invited me to their open track day (which I would consider autox since its a kart track). After spending half a day and multiple laps I fell in absolute love. They have these events every other month this year and I want to go and compete. I'd also like to start traveling to the local SCCA events and other club autocross days in my area.

Current Mods:

Suspension
H&R Super Sports
Koni Shocks/Struts
Steeda HD Strut Mounts
Steeda HD Adj. UCA
J&M Adj. Panhard Bar
BMR LCAs
BMR LCA Relocation Brackets
Strut Tower Brace

Driveline
Steeda Shift Bracket
19x9.5/10 Forgestar F14s
255/40 285/35 Hankook Ventus V12 EVO

Engine
Steeda ProFlow 101mm CAI
GT500 Axleback
JEGS Cat Delete Pipes
Lund Racing Tune

Visual/Aero
BOSS 302/CS Front Fascia w/ Fogs
Custom BOSS 302S Style Grille
FRPP World Challenge Front Splitter
Custom Dive Plane Splitters
GT500 Spoiler
Roush Side Rocker Splitters
Custom Rear Fascia Splitters

A few photos and a video from my second ever trip around the "track"

#FEF by t.hockman photography, on Flickr

World Challenge Splitter 2 | Crop by t.hockman photography, on Flickr

1.5.15 NOTE: I've sold my Forgestars and picked up a set of 20x10 wheels that will be going on for shows/daily driving. My plan is to hunt for a set of Brembo take offs to put a set of sticky tires on. This set would be my dedicated track set, so something like a RS3 or Hoosier would be OK.

I also plan to shake up my suspension next winter by either going air, or ground control coilovers. I would like this car to remain a streetable/show car for me as I enjoy it in other venues besides just the track.

Last edited by a moderator:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
probably should spend some time reading the build threads on the site already

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
probably should spend some time reading the build threads on the site already

I read through a couple of the Vorshlag threads, until yesterday when they became private and I had to sign up. Didn't really want to join a new forum, but here I am. Like I said above, this will be more or less a build thread and a blog less questions. I know I have a shitload of reading to do.

Last edited:

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score
I read through a couple of the Vorshlag threads, until yesterday when they became private and I had to sign up. Didn't really want to join a new forum, but here I am. Like I said above, this will be more or less a build thread and a blog less questions. I know I have a shitload of reading to do.

Certainly do some reading and if something is still confusing then post those specific questions and we'll do our best to respond. It really is a solid idea to do a lot of reading though. A LOT of subjects have been covered to death and it just requires going back through the pages and starting at the beginning and click on threads that interest you or are about questions you have.

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Certainly do some reading and if something is still confusing then post those specific questions and we'll do our best to respond. It really is a solid idea to do a lot of reading though. A LOT of subjects have been covered to death and it just requires going back through the pages and starting at the beginning and click on threads that interest you or are about questions you have.

Thanks, I've been searching a ton and will continue to do so. I don't know where my first post went. I keep editing it with photos and now its just dissappeared.

:damnit:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I've been searching a ton and will continue to do so. I don't know where my first post went. I keep editing it with photos and now its just dissappeared.

:damnit:

stop adding links or pics - every time u do so, it requires approval since you're new

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice car, welcome and good luck!

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
To start- make your brakes better (14" brembos with good fluid, lines, pads, and ducting) and go 18x10 square on the wheels.

Also a seat can work wonders.

Welcome! And when you have more specific questions, let's have them!

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Also, figure out your class if you want to do scca autox

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

To start- make your brakes better (14" brembos with good fluid, lines, pads, and ducting) and go 18x10 square on the wheels.

Also a seat can work wonders.

Welcome! And when you have more specific questions, let's have them!

After I "finish" my suspension next week (LCAs, relos) I plan to shift my attention to the brakes. The reason I say "finish" is because the setup I have now was just a temporary fix for the 4x4 stock stance. I'm really looking to go with BC Racing or Ground Control coilovers eventually but I need to read up on spring rates that are ideal for my use case. That is, if I don't just go with air suspension which I know will have mixed reviews from the corner carvers.

I was leaning toward a set of GT500 Brembos or Stoptechs but I'm leaning toward the former.

For the wheels, I made a huge mistake with the 20s. I had orinigally sold my Forgestars with the intention of picking up an 18 or 19" square setup. Black friday came, and the "show" wheels I wanted were on sale and I blew my wheel budget on them. My plan right now is to find a decent set of tires to put on them and get them on the car. Then in the mean time hunt for some take off Brembo wheels or 07-09 GT500 wheels that I can throw some sticky tires on. My ultimate dream would be some BBS or CCW mesh style 18x10s but thats going to have to wait until I get more cash. I can't have 3 sets of wheels laying around (20s, stockers, brembos/gt500s)

Also, figure out your class if you want to do scca autox

I read a couple of threads here on classes, from you and the other Vorshlag build thread. I'm really oblivious when it comes to classing. The performance shop "Track Days" are really just a run what you "brung" kind of event where there's no classes and its just everyone for themeslves. They keep a pole of the top 10 drivers/times but really the more money you have in your car the more likely you are to show up on that pole. I made it to the 8 spot last year on my few times out. That's just an example of how slow most of the cars are that are out there. The event is also pretty young, only in its second year in 2015. I suspect more drivers will start coming and the competition growing. But since its not a NASA or SCCA sponsored event I don't know what kind of classing if any they will adopt.

As for the SCCA stuff. I dont' recall CAM-C being there last year. So I need to go read again the difference between STU and STX and see where my car would fall. Im afraid my planned mods will screw me in SCCA. Atleast until I have more seat time and actually can drive. I think my LCAs and relocation brackets might screw me particularly if my interpretation of the rules is accurate since its not an OEM mount point.

irishpwr46

Official Site Vandal
Reaction score
theres a roush trackpack coilover suspension setup for sale on here pretty cheap.

Speedboosted

Found missing cylinders
Reaction score
Go with 18" wheels for the track, that seems to have the most tire choices available and the best tires. Car looks awesome by the way, welcome!

TaylorGT

forum member
Reaction score
theres a roush trackpack coilover suspension setup for sale on here pretty cheap.

Suspension budget is gone for this season, might see what comes up next winter for my build.

Go with 18" wheels for the track, that seems to have the most tire choices available and the best tires. Car looks awesome by the way, welcome!

I may just do that depending what I can find. I'm kicking myself for getting suckered into these 20" wheels on Black Friday. Selling my Forgestars was the worst decision I think. I wanted these wheels for shows/daily driving thinking I'd have room in the budget for a track setup as well. With a kid on the way, and a job change that moved me out of state, money ran out.

The reality is, I'm going to be running these 20s at some of the club autocross days (not SCCA). I won't do SCCA until I have a dedicated set. I'm thinking a set of 18" SVE drifts or AMRs might work in my budget. I thought the 07-09 GT500 wheels were 18s maybe I'm wrong. I just need something cheap for now. Once I get some more behind the wheel time and start feeling competative I'd like to move up to something like an 18x10 or 11 F14 with some real race compound tires.

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
There are a ton of guys running the SVE's at track days. You can fit 285s on there easily and they are a cheap lightish weight option. If you can snag up the 18x10s and throw some good rubber that works for your under there and call it a day (for the tires at least).

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Cam-c is probably your best bet. STU is kind of a dead end right now and you don't want to mess with ESP yet.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Reaction score
I thought the 07-09 GT500 wheels were 18s maybe I'm wrong. I just need something cheap for now.
Those wheels are 18 x 9.5 x ET+45. Sold as FRPP part number M-1007-S1895, with at least one different finish available under a part number suffix.

Norm

Last edited:

DILYSI Dave

forum member
Reaction score
I'm going to take a different approach - You are asking about and people are talking about parts. I'm going to say you don't need to do a damn thing but just sign up and go. Your car as it sits is more prepped than 90% of what shows up at a local autox, and is surely capable of exceeding your abilities (nothing personal, just a reality that it takes seat time to even scratch the surface of a car's ability). So my advice is to find a local club and sign up and go. A Starting Line school (http://www.sccastartingline.com/) would be a good thing to invest in as well, but even that I would not put ahead of just finding the next event you can and attending.

I'm not saying don't buy parts - It's fun. But I am saying don't let your level of prep dictate whether you / your car is ready. Thousands of people a year show up and have a blast in boring grocery getters. Dive in!

claudermilk

Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you are off to as good start here and will do well. There is a TON of excellent info in the threads here, so you have a lot of reading ahead of you. Terry's epic Vorshlag 2011 GT build thread is a goldmine, as is Whiskey's build thread.

With your current mods, I think you will either be in CAM or STU. Beyond those, it's ESP. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the front splitter may force ESP is someone wants to be a dick and protest. If you just want to play around, and not worry too much right now CAM is probably a good place to hide out.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back