Backroads corner-carving: What kind of setup for fun/safety/performance

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
I goes without saying that we all obey the speedlimits...but with that in mind, is fun to a seek out a curvy back road and push a car a bit.

Much of the talk in this forum is centered around competition in auto-x and road course driving...but do any of you guys focus on road handling and non-competition driving fun?

The same setup that would be competitive in track/auto-x environments isn't always ideal for environments with a few more variables, occasionally less than perfect surfaces, etc...and a generally more varied set of challenges.

How have you set up your car for back-roads corner carving? Are you happy with the results?

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
The key difference here is that in a competition environment, we set the car up to be adjustable, and to perform well on the edge of its traction circle, and to be fast. All of those goals don't really line up with what makes a "fun" street car.

A street car setup for me would probably be Bilsteins, P or K springs, camber plates, panhard bar, LCA Relo brackets, and square 18x10's with RE11's or something else good in the rain....and that would be way too much car for any public road.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
mrgtx - Some excellent advice from csamh.

I went even a little further with my car for exactly the type of driving you are contemplating (I have spent 20+ years driving sportscars and riding sportbikes on Texas Hill Country back roads). I have tried a few different combos on my cars (first a 2012 Boss and now a 2013 Laguna) - Steeda Ultralites and P springs were both fine, but they overpowered the rebound damping of the OE dampers. I was contemplating Konis or Bilsteins but ended up biting the bullet and getting fully adjustable KW V3 coilovers for my Laguna (Jegs had them way cheaper than any other vendor at the time). They were a bit soft with factory settings but I finally found some good settings after a little trial and error. They are not harsh at all over bumps, they just soak them up, even on much stiffer settings. Plus, fully adjustable ride height is nice if you need it.

I also have aftermarket LCAs (Steeda alloy with spherical bearings), UCA and bracket (Steeda), LCA relos (Whiteline), cc plates, adjustable PHB, and PHB brace and I would recommend doing the same because they all have combined to make the car so much more composed over bumps and through corners.

RE-11s are very good street tires, maybe not the be all and end all in terms of grip but overall they have excellent manners on the street. I am running 19x10s with 285/35/19s RE-11s all around and overall am very happy with the setup (although I contemplating stickier tires - does the tinkering ever end? Hah!).

Sky Render

Stig's Retarded Cousin
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Decent dampers, springs, and sway bars is all you really need. You're not driving anywhere near the limit on the street to need much more than that (I hope).

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 4 using Tapatalk

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Watts link + eaton Tru-trac / torsen makes for a good street combo, it stays planted. Back end doesn't dance all over the road, if hitting bumpy corners.

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
mrgtx - Some excellent advice from csamh.

I went even a little further with my car for exactly the type of driving you are contemplating (I have spent 20+ years driving sportscars and riding sportbikes on Texas Hill Country back roads). I have tried a few different combos on my cars (first a 2012 Boss and now a 2013 Laguna) - Steeda Ultralites and P springs were both fine, but they overpowered the rebound damping of the OE dampers. I was contemplating Konis or Bilsteins but ended up biting the bullet and getting fully adjustable KW V3 coilovers for my Laguna (Jegs had them way cheaper than any other vendor at the time). They were a bit soft with factory settings but I finally found some good settings after a little trial and error. They are not harsh at all over bumps, they just soak them up, even on much stiffer settings. Plus, fully adjustable ride height is nice if you need it.

I also have aftermarket LCAs (Steeda alloy with spherical bearings), UCA and bracket (Steeda), LCA relos (Whiteline), cc plates, adjustable PHB, and PHB brace and I would recommend doing the same because they all have combined to make the car so much more composed over bumps and through corners.

RE-11s are very good street tires, maybe not the be all and end all in terms of grip but overall they have excellent manners on the street. I am running 19x10s with 285/35/19s RE-11s all around and overall am very happy with the setup (although I contemplating stickier tires - does the tinkering ever end? Hah!).

Champ, what settings did you end up on with the V3's (ride height and damping)? I think I'm going to run 285/35/19 RE-11's this season as well, and have been tinkering around with my V3's since I got them towards the end of last season.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Hey Lucky 13 - I went and dug up my notes. Hope this helps.

Measurements taken from the ground to the fender, going through center of the wheel: Front 27", Rear 27 3/8".

Rebound from recommended: F +3 clicks, R +2

Compression (Bump) from recommended: F +1/2 turn, R +1/2 turn.

Lucky_13

forum member
Reaction score
Thanks a ton! I've just been using the off-season to fool around with different settings and learn some things about damping. Also just a heads up, if you want a stickier tire in the same 285/35/19 size, the BFG Rival is now back in stock at Tire Rack if ya want to try them out. I have a set of 10.5's, so I'm debating running 305/30, but that sidewall is tiny :/

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
That is good to know, thank you!

Rivals are definitely on my list, with your 10.5s you should try the 305s out. They aren't that much shorter than the 285/35s. Plus, if 305s are good enough for the Z/28, then they are good enough for our Mustangs!

sheizasosay

Alive
Reaction score
The nitrous won't work without a torque arm.... :stooges:

That sounds perfect. I have heard it will supercharge your suspension and cure cancer?

That is good to know, thank you!

Rivals are definitely on my list, with your 10.5s you should try the 305s out. They aren't that much shorter than the 285/35s. Plus, if 305s are good enough for the Z/28, then they are good enough for our Mustangs!

Yeah but the rubber that comes on the Z is in another league. Is it 60 or 80 treadwear? Either way...RE11s is 180 or 200.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
I was trying to make a joke . . . guess I didn't do a good job!

Yes the Z tires are ridiculous. And ridiculously expensive - $575 each at tirerack.com.

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Decent dampers, springs, and sway bars is all you really need. You're not driving anywhere near the limit on the street to need much more than that (I hope).

This^^^^^

I've taken my 2012 Brembo car out to the twisty stuff a couple of times now. I don't want any more "performance". I drive at psychotic levels on the back roads and the stock stuff is not only plenty good, but it prevents me from going past psychotic into "Seriously, WTF dude?". Plus it's more fun when you get some feedback from the car.

I have a car that is set up really well. I have no interest in railing some back roads with it. It would be boring because there is no way I could push it enough.

That is with a Brembo car though. For a base GT suspension some decent dampers, slightly more aggressive springs and maybe a rear bar would be nice.

For back road blasting I would be more concerned about brakes.

mrgtx

forum member
Reaction score
Great insight in this thread! Thanks, guys...
I will hold off on school zone burnouts, however...even though kids love a good smokeshow (or, at least I did when I was a kid!!!) :)

So I ordered up a set of Bilsteins and Eibach Pro springs (1" drop in the front, 1.5" drop in the rear), GT500 strut mounts and an adjustable panhard bar from the helpful folks at Vorshlag but I held off on the Camber plates and sway bars for now.

I'm still on the fence about ordering those since the budget is pretty tight and I still have tires to buy. How critical are those components?

I have an adjustable upper control arm already...

Will the geometry of the LCAs be screwed up?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back