need help!!! removal questions

balls8302

Reaction score
i've searched and cant seem to find how to remove the center area of the dash (with the two vents right above radio location). it looks as though i'll have to remove the side pieces(how?) that go to the floor on each side of console, then maybe behind those are screws holding the dash piece in place?

wanting to install my sirius radio between the vents and hide all wires behind the dash panel. i'm bored and feel like doin this tonight so HELP!!!!

thanks guys in advance for any help

and sorry if this is in wrong section, not sure where to post so im putting it where most views are i guess, move if needed thanks!

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, but you have to remove the center console first by removing the screws under the center console door/compartment for your misc stuff.

echoinsilence

forum member
Reaction score
you should also note that you must remove your center console, there are two philips screws towards the back of your center console to take out then it lifts straight up, after that remove the two side peices, then the 6 screws to remove the center peice around the radio.

balls8302

Reaction score
ok so the console comes out with two screws towards back(i take it they are located in the bottom of console storage compartment?)

then the side pieces come off from around the radio area

then there are screws holding the center dash piece on(the piece with the two vents)? - this is what im wanting to remove and install the sirius on.

wanna get all my ducks in a line before i go out and do something wrong or break a tab or whatever

thanks guys

balls8302

Reaction score
thanks guys for the help! i've got all the pdf's i need up and printed out, turns out i have to remove the passenger side air bag module. so i'll be following close detail to the service manuals for sure. hopefully i'll get this done tonight and i'll post up some pics of the install, sounds fancy i guess just for a sat radio but i cant stand the suction cup bracket anymore. wish me luck

balls8302

Reaction score
snag....

feeling a bit on the stupid side, cover is off of sjb and now i cant figure out how to get to the fuse for the srs system which i believe is fuse f2.17 a 10A fuse. or would simply disconnecting the battery save me from messing with the fuse? have to ask guys because i dont want to screw any of the air bag stuff up, its there for a reason and should remain in working condition, haha.

i've looked in the wiring diagrams in the service manuals(pdf site that G.T posted) and cant seem to find out how. i hope unhooking the battery will be good enough but i'll wait until someone can give me a yes or a no to start that process.

thanks guys this site is incredible and the amount of info on here is nuts!!

V8SRGR8

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
There are 4 screws on either side of that center piece.

You have to remove the main guage bezel - I believe that just pulls straight out.

You also have to slide out the passenger side airbag to access them. Drop your glove box by squeezing the sides in, and look up there. There's a metal bracket with a single bolt holding the airbag mechanism. Take that out, and push the airbag assembly from the rear and it should slide out of the way.

Maybe I should have read all of it. Looks like you figured that part out

V8SRGR8

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
Why do you need the SRS fuses? Just push the airbag assembly off to the side to access the bolts. There's no reason to completely remove it.

balls8302

Reaction score
cool, got it. thanks guys. never removed an airbag so i was just trying to follow the service manuals thats all. but if thats all i'll have to do then back to the garage i go. thanks again

V8SRGR8

Cunning Linguist
Reaction score
No worries. I've done it this way 3 or 4 times with no problems. I put 2 guages in that center section, plus a nav unit, then an internal antenna. It will take a bit of wiggling on that airbag to get it loose, but you'll figure it out.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
i've searched and cant seem to find how to remove the center area of the dash (with the two vents right above radio location). it looks as though i'll have to remove the side pieces(how?) that go to the floor on each side of console, then maybe behind those are screws holding the dash piece in place?
I put gages there a few years ago... here are pics of the demolition to get the center vent panel out.

DSC06923.JPG

DSC06926.JPG

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back