NHRA Legal Battery Relocation

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Frustrated by my lack of traction, I decided to relocate the battery to the trunk to help with weight distribution. The arrangement shown in the schematic guarantees that both the battery and the alternator will be isolated from the engine (and each other) if the rod is pushed in. In addition, only one heavy gauge wire is needed from the trunk to the engine compartment. I did not want to have to run two thick wires, and have the alternator current travel a distance of 30 feet before reaching the loads. I've got two electric water pumps which draw a good bit of current continuously, and I want the alternator to be very close to these loads. I also like to rock while I'm spanking Camaros
rockon.gif
, so the closer the alternator to the electrical loads, the better.

This arrangement will not draw any current when the key is off. So the battery will not drain when you walk away from your car. The only time the relay and solenoid are drawing current is when the master cutoff is enabled, and the key is on. The penalty for these features is an additional automotive relay ($6 at any automotive parts store) and a high current solenoid switch ($75 from Summit - still searching for alternatives). I think this is a reasonable price to pay to have an NHRA legal system which does not draw any current when shut down, and requires only 1 heavy wire.

I was conflicted on whether to keep the "push off" rod in place all the time (cool - a serious drag car!), or keep the car looking stock and beautiful without any blemishes. My vanity won out, and I plan to keep the stock tail light in place for daily driving. I got a cheap replacement light off ebay which is drilled for the push off rod. It takes only 15 minutes to hook up the push off rod and special tail light.

The car runs great as usual after this mod. It starts just fine - no indication of weak starting. The charging voltage is around 14 volts, just as it was before the modification. I still plan to go and measure voltage drops everywhere for reference.

Attachments

• Battery Relocation.jpg
    Battery Relocation.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 736
  • IMG_1666_s.jpg
    IMG_1666_s.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_1667_s.jpg
    IMG_1667_s.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_1668_s.jpg
    IMG_1668_s.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_1669_s.jpg
    IMG_1669_s.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_1670_s.jpg
    IMG_1670_s.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 532
  • IMG_1671_s.jpg
    IMG_1671_s.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 452
  • IMG_1672_s.jpg
    IMG_1672_s.jpg
    371 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_1673_s.jpg
    IMG_1673_s.jpg
    260.7 KB · Views: 418
  • IMG_1674_s.jpg
    IMG_1674_s.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 466

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A few final photos. I would like to do a little more work on the trunk carpeting, to hide some of the wiring. Also, I still need the required "push off" lettering near the push rod. I'll probably use Photoshop to make a decal.

Attachments

• IMG_1675_s.jpg
    IMG_1675_s.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 325
  • IMG_1676_s.jpg
    IMG_1676_s.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_1677_s.jpg
    IMG_1677_s.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 560

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Very clean, looks great... nicely done! :clap:

So, howsabout a complete parts list??

spyder7724

Reaction score
redfury,
did you go with the painless wiring constant duty solenoid? thats the setup i used but in stead of rigging up the the big switch i used a mushroom head emergency kill switch mounted in the trunk lid which allowed me to run two 16g wires instead of a pull/push rod.
i also found that if the solenoid is left in the on position it will drian the battery after a couple days of sitting. i remedied this by running a seperate cicuit which i can bypass when not racing so eveything functions as normal.

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Very clean, looks great... nicely done! :clap:

So, howsabout a complete parts list??

I can list the most important parts (most are Summit Racing part numbers):
PRF-50105 Alternator shutoff solenoid switch
MOR-74105 Moroso disconnect install kit
RUS-629120 1/2" wrap-it
SUM-890102 Summit battery box
SUM-G1208 Battery box cable kit
TAY-1033 Disconnect switch
Small autmotive relay (Kragan)
175A and 250A Megafuses, fuse holders, #1 AWG eyelets (from your favorite electric vehicle parts website)
Summit or your local hardware store has all the other miscellaneous wire, crimp terminals, fuses, heat shrink tubing, etc. I actually found that a local boating store called West Marine has really good quality electrical parts.

RedFury

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
redfury,
did you go with the painless wiring constant duty solenoid? thats the setup i used but in stead of rigging up the the big switch i used a mushroom head emergency kill switch mounted in the trunk lid which allowed me to run two 16g wires instead of a pull/push rod.
i also found that if the solenoid is left in the on position it will drian the battery after a couple days of sitting. i remedied this by running a seperate cicuit which i can bypass when not racing so eveything functions as normal.

Yes, I mentioned in my first post that I'm only activating the alternator solenoid (Painless constant duty) when the key is on. So this prevents the battery from draining when the car is off (see the schematic). I may also bypass this solenoid for daily driving use, as it gets quite hot. But I figured I'd drive around with it activated for a while and see whether it fails in the next few (summer) months or so. At least I have enough fuses so that I don't have to worry about an electrical fire!:thumb:

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead as I need to do this now that I have a car with the battery in the trunk.

Everything is already relocated, but the previous owner didnt install a cutoff switch. He wasnt concerned with making it NHRA legal. I am, as HRP in Houston will probably be a stickler about this.

Red, did you have to weld anything into the trunk to mount the bracket for the switch? Can you give me a picture that shows a better angle of how it's mounted?

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead as I need to do this now that I have a car with the battery in the trunk.

Everything is already relocated, but the previous owner didnt install a cutoff switch. He wasnt concerned with making it NHRA legal. I am, as HRP in Houston will probably be a stickler about this.

Red, did you have to weld anything into the trunk to mount the bracket for the switch? Can you give me a picture that shows a better angle of how it's mounted?

Ok, so it appears that Red hasnt been on the site in over two years.....

Can anyone else help with my question?

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok, so it appears that Red hasnt been on the site in over two years.....

Can anyone else help with my question?

Doing further searches, I discovered that Frank, aka Redfury, had passed away in May of 2008. My apologies for not knowing that.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score

I can this evening. I used this same setup. I drilled the panel behind the carpet on the drivers side.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Thanks for those pics. That makes things clearer for me.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Doing further searches, I discovered that Frank, aka Redfury, had passed away in May of 2008. My apologies for not knowing that.

Isn't that just crazy? Makes you think and realize you never know when it will be your turn. Thats why I do the things I do sometimes, because you just might not be here tomorrow. I realized that after my accident.

In any case, glad 05Stroker could help you out. I installed my cut off down low where the license plate goes.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back