Anyone install an AFCO HE?

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I want to know how the piping is ran to and from the heat exchanger. It's the one from the GT500 and it's going on a 4.6 with a Roush TVS. Thanks in advance.

MLC40

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ron has the Gords, I think Don has an Afco we all know he is a big fan of their customer support. :leghump:

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
I understand that the fitting in the back needs to be ran to the outlet of the electric water pump. The top fitting of the electric water pump goes up to the I/C res. but, where does the fitting that is on the side of the AFCO go? I just need some clarification before I get too deep into it.

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
Any help? I think I've got it all hooked up but just wanted a little clarification. The "side" outlet on the Afco should be going up to the intake manifold. The "rear" outlet on the Afco should be going to the electric water pump, right?

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Any help? I think I've got it all hooked up but just wanted a little clarification. The "side" outlet on the Afco should be going up to the intake manifold. The "rear" outlet on the Afco should be going to the electric water pump, right?
He was being sarcastic. I have a Gords... I hate AFCO. :321:

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
I have the AFCO GT500 double-pass HE. When I researche HE available this one had the best numbers and it was a straight fit for the S197.

AFCO008.jpg

AFCO030.jpg

AFCO010.jpg

AFCO032.jpg

AFCO029.jpg

NastyStang113

Made in U.S.A.
Reaction score
If that's the case than it seems like it doesn't matter which fitting on the Afco goes to the pump and than to the motor. On the GT500s it shows the other fitting on the Afco going to the pump .. Where do you have the other fitting going?

pump-installed-on-heat-exchanger.jpg

Last edited:

racevert

ZKiller
Reaction score
You can go either way. Some say fill from the bottom so the coolant stays in the HE longer. Others are filling from the top. I am pumping in to the bottom fitting from th IC pump, then out the HE from the top fitting to the engine/intercooler, out from the engine/intercooler to the reservoir tank and finally out the reservoir tank to the pump.

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I am pumping in to the bottom fitting from th IC pump, then out the HE from the top fitting to the engine/intercooler, out from the engine/intercooler to the reservoir tank and finally out the reservoir tank to the pump.
^^^^ Same here (with my Gords)

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
He was being sarcastic. I have a Gords... I hate AFCO. :321:
Is there a reason you hate afco Don?

I was just looking at their radiators and there is quite a price difference between the Afco, Fluidyne, LFP, and Be-cool

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You can go either way. Some say fill from the bottom so the coolant stays in the HE longer. Others are filling from the top. I am pumping in to the bottom fitting from th IC pump, then out the HE from the top fitting to the engine/intercooler, out from the engine/intercooler to the reservoir tank and finally out the reservoir tank to the pump.

This is the way I had it as well with my Whipple set-up...:hi:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back