throw out bearing rattle after cams

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
Okay guys, here is the deal... Your throw-out bearing ALWAYS made noise when the clutch is out. Even before you installed your cams. The reason why you notice it now, but not before, is because it was one steady tone with the stock cams, vs. you have a slight change in rpms at idle causing a slight rythmic change in the noise the bearings make while spinning freely. You uasually don't hear the noise in gear due to other noise, like the engine revs and driveline noise.

Don't believe me? Get in any stock Mustang GT with a manual trans, start it, let it idle in neutral, then after a few (30-60) seconds step on the clutch and listen to how the noise goes away.

Last edited:

07samCS

forum member
Reaction score
Okay guys, here is the deal... Your throw-out bearing ALWAYS made noise when the clutch is out. Even before you installed your cams. The reason why you notice it now, but not before, is because it was one steady tone with the stock cams, vs. you have a slight change in rpms at idle causing a slight rythmic change in the noise the bearings make while spinning freely. You uasually don't hear the noise in gear due to other noise, like the engine revs and driveline noise.

Don't believe me? Get in any stock Mustang GT with a manual trans, start it, let it idle in neutral, then after a few (30-60) seconds step on the clutch and listen to how the noise goes away.

:stir:

well that maybe...so how did me changing the fluid to rp totally stop mine? i hear it all day everyday. i changed fluid last night and havent heard it once today. mine has low miles, has not been to a track yet and hasnt been beat on so the tranny being broke shouldnt be an issue.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
:stir:

well that maybe...so how did me changing the fluid to rp totally stop mine? i hear it all day everyday. i changed fluid last night and havent heard it once today. mine has low miles, has not been to a track yet and hasnt been beat on so the tranny being broke shouldnt be an issue.

I am talking about a manual trans. No clue about the auto's making noise. I have had two stick s197's.

I don't believe the trans is broken. The rattle in a manual is because the bearing has some play when the pressure plate is relaxed.

hammeron

forum member
Reaction score
ok we had a minor setback.....the fluid
change may help a small percentage of
folks, but the majority need another
solution.

identifying the physical source for the noise,
is the first step in coming up with a fix (should
there be one).

07samCS

forum member
Reaction score
marc- mine is a manual... this is no rattle. it sounded like a worn out cv joint anytime it would idle low.

whatever it was making noise in my car i could hear it when i turned the car off. i seen a video not too long ago that made the noise we are talking about while a boy was filming his cams and doing a walk around. ill try to find it so we can compare sounds.

are there any tr6060 cars with hot rod cams making the same noise?

Hitman

Banned
Reaction score
the noise in mine is caused by the trans being under a load at the very beginning. Then it goes away.

marcspaz

~Resigned~
Reaction score
A video would be cool. It is possible we are thinking of two diff sounds...

mineralgoogt

forum member
Reaction score
I can hear a noise when turning off my car, sounds kind of like a rattle. Today I held the clutch in when turning off the car and the noise wasn't there, did it a couple more times and no noise when clutch is held in. Think the noise I'm hearing is the same as y'all?

07samCS

forum member
Reaction score
thats not my video. thats one that made the noise mine did. since i changed my fluid mine doesnt make it anymore so i cant make a video of mine. the car in the video you can hear the rattle as it dies when he cuts it off.

Ketone

Reaction score
Is this the noise you are talking about?

Thanks for showing how to embed the videos rojizostang.

Last edited:

07samCS

forum member
Reaction score
thats what mine sounds like...exactly.

just as an update mine has started coming back so the fluid only fixed it for a little bit.

Ketone

Reaction score
thats what mine sounds like...exactly.

just as an update mine has started coming back so the fluid only fixed it for a little bit.

I've tried RP, Amsoil and Motorcraft ATF, none of them helped.

One of the dealers replaced the clutch and disassembled the transmission and said everything looked perfect.

I have been talking with Tremec, they have acknowledged it is noisy and their engineers are looking into it...

Ford tech support said I am the only person that has complained about transmission noise.

Honestly, if I don’t get something done through Ford or Tremec, the cams will be coming out. Sitting at stop lights listening to the noise is starting to get old.

Maybe if a few other people can get to Ford and/or Tremec with this issue they will look for something that will make this livable.

Ketone

Reaction score
this isn't the separator plate noise is it?....i've heard other people talk about that in different threads

I think the separator plate is a rattle at a higher RPM. When they changed my clutch they put in the separator plate also, the videos were taken after the new clutch was installed.

Mustanglouie

forum member
Reaction score
well guys you can put me in the same boat as yall. I have the same noise coming from my car as well. When I push the clutch in the noise goes away but when I don't it has a for sure rattle sound. It is pretty loud from underneath the car.

Chilliwack 42

forum member
Reaction score
Is this an issues that has only been coming up with the hotrod cams or is the same thing happening with comp thumpr cams as well? I just ordered some mutha thumprs today. I really don't want my car making sounds like that :s

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back