Need Turbo Pro

JMD07

Reaction score
Whats up everyone, I am a new member to the forum but not a new reader. I am a BIG DIY person and for a while now have been wanting to construct my own twin turbo kit, I have a shop and all the tools needed, and yes even for the welding and pipe routing lol...It will be for my 06 mustang 4.6 30k miles basically stock except sct livewire and apperance mods...My question is basically what size turbo I would need, what type, where would I get it, and are there any "Take off" turbos that would qualify If i decided to go cheap.....I also dont know alot about controlling the amount of boost with turbos... as far as like the BOV.... example of what im thinking ( a turbo that may have an 8 psi bov.... would it be 8 psi on a 4.6? or on a 2.4... lol)

Basically I need a little direction Because I really want to do this on my own as a fun project, I will post a detailed DIY with pics if I succeed....
TY guys your help will be much appreciated

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
First I would suggest getting some books on turbo's to learn more about them. As far a size goes what are your goals for power, are you going to stay with the stock engine? If you are planning to stay with the stock engine then get something in the 50mm range. The smaller size will spool quicker for a street car. If you want more power then 57mm or 61mm would be as large as I would go. I have 57mm on mine and it spools very quickly.

The boost is controlled by the wastegate on the turbo not the BOV, the BOV releases the pressure when the throttle is closed. The wastgate has a spring inside that is overcome by the exhaust pressure to controll the boost so it doesn't matter what engine it's on an 8# spring will open at about 8#. There are both manual and electronic boost controllers that work to control the boost to whatever you set but they all work in conjunction with the wastgate.

For the turbo's themselves I would recommend the new Borg Warner Bulls Eye, as they seem to be a good bang for the buck, or the Garrett.

Earl

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Whats he said. I would do some research and we can help fill in the blanks.

Although the Bullseye uses some Borg Warner parts the Bullseye is a separate turbo from the BW stuff. Bullseye is the best turbo out there.

myystanng

forum member
Reaction score
My car isn't completley tuned yet, but made 473/485 on 10PSI and spooled by 2900 rpm's with the s366. I can't wait to get it finished up...

I would only use the bullseye too !

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car isn't completley tuned yet, but made 473/485 on 10PSI and spooled by 2900 rpm's with the s366. I can't wait to get it finished up...

Nice!!

JMD07

Reaction score
Wow you guys actually helped me a ALOT!!... Thanx very very much for leading me in the right direction

To answer some of the other questions, I am wanting to use stock internals for now.... I figure while there ...use em.. then upgrade when they just cant do it anymore, lol. And as far as transmission, Mine is actually an automatic and I will be using the stocker as well, so I am not looking for any more than 500hp, goal is between 450 and 500

I found this site to help me learn about turbos
http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/power-adders/628-turbo-size-r-trim.html
but in the first post the <SOURCE> link is where the most info is.

And what do you guys think about bullseyes s256... heres link
http://www.bullseyepower.com/catalog.asp

Once again TY guys

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score

Yeah!! I saw this car on the dyno. Great power and sounds sick as well:beerchug2:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I would so the S366 or S362. The 66 will still spool very very quickly and give you room for more power later. I maxed mine out at 721rwhp 829tq. I did hit 729 854 but that was adding a couple more pounds so 721 it is

JMD07

Reaction score
So you think maybe a 66 and I could run low boost, and then when I decide to upgrade to forged internals I could add more boost right?

If thats what your thinking I like it because then I wouldnt have to upgrade turbos later....Oh and thanks for the sites guys

JMD07

Reaction score
Oh and how much boost are you runing on the 66s? and what would you suggest running with stock internals? I was thinking about 8 psi

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So you think maybe a 66 and I could run low boost, and then when I decide to upgrade to forged internals I could add more boost right?

If thats what your thinking I like it because then I wouldnt have to upgrade turbos later....Oh and thanks for the sites guys

Correct. The Bullseye turbos are amazing. I went through a few before I found them. 721rwhp was about 16-17lbs on C16. Turned it to 20lbs and didnt gain much. About 12lbs on the S366 puts me at 600rwhp and 630tq. Im also running lower compression (9:1) and a 302 stroker

I would go off RWHP not boost. Dont push it over 500

JMD07

Reaction score
Ah got it!
Yea once I get it done Ill have to find a dyno in my area to get it tuned....
wonder If I will be able to drive it to the dyno LOL
And I like your setup Alot... thats about what I am aiming for for later upgrades
but for now 450-500hp should be plenty because in my area it is
60% rice
20% stock mustang v6 or older than 04 gt
10% stock 3v
9% slightly upgraded diesels (lol)
1% c6 ZR1 Corvette ( and he is rare to see)
I wanna be fast, but not worried about being the fastest I really like the way the 05-09 look, but I wanna upgrade to the gt500 front fascia
Oh and do you got any pics of your turbo setup you could post?
Maybe any pics during the install or anything? j/w

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No install pics. Nitrous has been removed...

09AutoRamma020.jpg

Picture020.jpg

JMD07

Reaction score
Oh wow very nice.....For some reason I thought you were running twins... Now I think I better understand..... unless im looking at the pics wrong : /
I was looking for a twin turbo setup actually.... but I am considering single now... any suggestions... or corrections if I was wrong lol

and I was looking on ebay just for fun and typed in "twin turbos" and found this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garr...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories
would that do any justice... I just noticed the price is CHEAP lol... not that Im going cheap.. I will if I find something "okay"
but I am willing to save up my money for whatever I really should get

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
dont do that kit. lol Check out Powerhouse, HP Performance, THP

You want a twin kit? Talk to US-1

JMD07

Reaction score
Well I wanted a twin kit at first, but not sure now you guys seem to be doing pretty good on a single turbo setup... and it seems like buying 1 turbo would be lower cost

but if I do do a twin what is US-1?

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I wanted a twin kit at first, but not sure now you guys seem to be doing pretty good on a single turbo setup... and it seems like buying 1 turbo would be lower cost

but if I do do a twin what is US-1?

not what ....who lol he's a member here

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
With your plans I think you would be much better off with a single kit. Give Jim Napier at Turbohorsepower.com a call and tell him what your plans are. Jim is great to work with and can fix you up with everything you need.

Earl

JMD07

Reaction score
Alright sounds good.... Thanks for all the help.. Whenever I get the money rounded up again Im going to start on it and plan to do a DIY over it
I had 8k saved up and was still saving far performannce mods but got laid off from US steel in january and have had to borrow from till now.... guess thats the way things work lol Economy sux right now

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back