Who has had this problem? and how to fix it?

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
My car is an early build 05 and has a bunch of problems but the new one is quite aggrovating. I haven't seen this one yet anywhere else but here it is. The pictures are below. I has happened to both door panels and has been to the dealership 2 times for it already but this time I just got pissed and ripped them off. Well that didn't do me any good since no upholestry shops want to mess with it since the interior door handle is secured to the door with a plastic press rivet and after you remove them you can't reinstall them.

Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

• door panel 1.jpg
    door panel 1.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 560
  • door panel 2.jpg
    door panel 2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 464

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Wow.. that's a new one man. I haven't seen that before.

GIG4FUN

Rock 'n' Roll Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
carfax it? Flood car ~ sat in water a while?

never seen it ever on any of them before.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
no I ordered the car in Feburary 04 and took delivery in November of 04....I have been owning it since new....I am thinking it may be from the heat and humidity from South Louisiana....I am literally 20 minutes away from the Gulf of Mexico....Can anyone get part numbers for new ones in Black....I am really frustrated with it and thinking about getting aluminum panels made for it....

*JZ*

forum member
Reaction score
Its happened to our LNR car 3 times already. We have an interior guy fix it the last time. He used this special interior fabric glue.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have had the "Ford" glue used 2 times and this time I ripped them off out of aggrovation....I then removed them and brought to EVERY upholestry shop in town and they all said the same thing....If they remove the arm rest area to install the new fabric that the arm rest will not fit back on right and would come off easy....I priced new ones today also,,,,$598.00 a piece....Then it was going to be a little more since it has IUP and shaker 1000....I really am lost and dont want to spend $1200+ for door panels when I am about to purchase 4R70W....If anyone can think of something please feel free to throw out some ideas....

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have the passenger door panel from the old car. $598? God Damn! I was trying to sell mine for $150.

forensicsteve

Aggie Dad
Reaction score
Call Benjy. I know they are gutting the interior. There may be some parts not going back in, that you could use to help?...if so just take them.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
use interior trim glue and cure it with a hairdryer, i promise you that it will work flawlessly
spread the glue and press into each corner making sure you dont have any creases, then take a hairdryer and go over it heating slowly to cure it back to the door panel
heat for about 15 min per side and then let cool for about 15 to 20 min, should be as strong as can be and also water condensation will not seperate the glue from the door panel again...

bigwilly43729

I do stupid shit, a lot
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I agree with the glue, but if you want to take your door handle off, they make a 2 part adhesive which basically amounts to something like liquid plastic for those rivets. I'll see if I can find the link for it when I get home.

EDIT: Here is a link to the stuff I was talking about. It's called Duramix. I've never used it, but I've seen the results and it seems to be pretty good.

Last edited:

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am thinking it may be from the heat and humidity from South Louisiana....I am literally 20 minutes away from the Gulf of Mexico....
I doubt it's the humidity or the proximity to the water. It's just as ridiculously humid here and I live a mile from the water, and I haven't seen this in my or any of my friends' cars. Very weird.

Do you have aftermarket speakers? If so, did you or the installer remove the moisture barrier during the installation?

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Holy crap! There is actually something someone broke that I didn't????????

There is a god!!!!:beerdrink:

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nope stock everything on interior, the humidity is the only thing I can think of....

And Mark give it time my friend.... Nevermind I don't wish this stuff on anyone...

ixtlan

Reaction score
Humidity I am thinking isnt it.
I live in Utah and have had mine creep out from the edge too.
I used some epoxy (5min) and pushed it back in. Then taped it till dry.
Damn bean counters cut a corner and instead of rolling the material over an edge they used just enough to get it past the visible edge of the hardboard.
Bean Counters Suck!!!

mancha

forum member
Reaction score
Hey man, you're not alone. My passenger side door panel is doing the exact same thing. It's such an eyesore I don't even open that door anymore unless absolutely necessary. I've tried 3 different types of spray adhesive, from permatex to 3m and nothing's been able to hold it on for more than a day or two. I've got to say I also think it has something to do with the heat/humidity as I live in Austin, TX and the weather here has been wicked at best lately. I'm going to try some cement adhesive and see if that works. If not I'll probably find a couple of plain door panels and downgrade to them. If it's not going to hold up I really don't want to keep having this issue with any subsequent used door panel I may have to purchase.

05mustang_TT_charged

Because Race Car!!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Well I got an awesome discount on some new ones, $305 a piece at the Ford dealer in town. I just went bitch till they offered them to me for what they pay. I didn't buy them yet but if my experiment doesn't come out well I will buy them.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back