Beware MMR!!!

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I thought I would post my problems in case anyone was contemplating getting something from MMR. As some of you know I have had a continuing saga with oil leak problems on my TT setup. We have been chasing this problem for over a year now without solving anything. The front cover crank seal kept going bad and leaking. We tried everything we could think of and nothing worked. It turns out to be a simple fix. We were focused on the front crank snout being the problem because the engine is a brand new MMR shortblock so we didn’t think there could be any problems there. Ha Ha.

Finally did a leak down check, which we should have done first thing, all the cylinders were in the 5% range except #4 which was in the 10% range. Pulled the entire thing apart and when we pulled the heads off I knew we had a real problem. I could actually see the rings looking down on the pistons in the bore. I could rock the pistons back and forth in the bore just pushing on them. When I pulled #4 out all the rings on that piston had the gaps lined up which was causing the leakage.

When I had the short block built I had the pistons Teflon coated on the skirts and ceramic coated on the tops. The engine only has about 800 miles on it and the Teflon is worn off the sides and the cylinders are scarred from the pistons moving around. The block was a new Ford block and contrary to reports about MMR it had not been bored, it is still standard. There is about .010-.015 piston to bore clearance so I don’t know what the pistons are from but they can’t be standard bore Manley as they are supposed to measure 3.552 and these measure 3.525-3.54.

I have a new set of JE pistons coming and will use my original stock block with the rods and crank out of the new block to get this thing back on the road. I just want everyone to know that you can’t trust MMR for anything and do not buy anything from them. If I hadn’t been brain dead I would have done the leak down test first thing and saved a year of down time but I was lulled by the idea that the new shortblock shouldn’t have a problem.

Earl

Last edited:

Dex

I'm Dexolishous
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No surprise to quite a few of us here.

Sorry bout your luck

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes Dex I posted this because we have so many new members and I would hate to see them get stuck. When I did my research on MMR before I originally ordered my shortblock they had a good reputation.

Earl

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Earl - very sorry to read of you issue... I guess on the bright side you're now on the way to getting the beast built right!

best on the re-build!

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
Sorry to hear another victim of MMR. It can be summed up with....

F@ck MMR!

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am sorry to hear that. I wouldn't buy a thing from MMR though, or GMS.

KIM_05_GT

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That is soo Fucked up.. I don't understand with thousands of dollars involved why are you guys not bring a case against these fucking ass holes??

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Man I feel for you bro believe me they will never have another sale from me I can guarantee it ....remember how I said they were giving me a in store credit , yea well I ordered the 05-09 koni rear adjustable and got 79-93 ones then was told by mark oh they will work fine ...yea fuck that place sorry bastards .

lostsoul

2014 vett or 2015 stang..
Reaction score
I tried, but BAR won't do anything. Only chance is a full blown lawsuit.

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
Man I feel for you bro believe me they will never have another sale from me I can guarantee it ....remember how I said they were giving me a in store credit , yea well I ordered the 05-09 koni rear adjustable and got 79-93 ones then was told by mark oh they will work fine ...yea fuck that place sorry bastards .
WOW !!! That is BS !

mustangflanagan

forum member
Reaction score
MMR is the herpees of the mustang community and SHM is the gonneria of the the mustang community. neither should be able to open a garage door let alone a business

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The thing that amazes me is how a so called professional engine builder could possible let something like my engine go out the door. I could possibly under stand someone fucking up the ring package on one piston but there isn't any way these pistons are made for this block. Ford shows piston to bore clearance in the manual as .0017. Now forged pistons require more clearance but not .010. I guess I should be thanking the guy that fucked up the ring package. If I had started putting real boost to this thing it would have blown and I may not have been able to salvage anything.

The block is still good, I will just have to get it bored .010-.020 over so I can sell it or put another short block together with a rotating assembly package.

Earl

05stroker

Never enough power guy!
Reaction score
The thing that amazes me is how a so called professional engine builder could possible let something like my engine go out the door. I could possibly under stand someone fucking up the ring package on one piston but there isn't any way these pistons are made for this block. Ford shows piston to bore clearance in the manual as .0017. Now forged pistons require more clearance but not .010. I guess I should be thanking the guy that fucked up the ring package. If I had started putting real boost to this thing it would have blown and I may not have been able to salvage anything.

The block is still good, I will just have to get it bored .010-.020 over so I can sell it or put another short block together with a rotating assembly package.

Earl
Whos kit will you use this time ?

retfr8flyr

The Old One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not anything from MMR!!!

Probably something from Livernois if I build anything but it won't be for some time as I need to recover from all this added expense. I may just sell the block.

Earl

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
WOW !!! That is BS !

Oh I'm not done with them believe you me ....Earl I think we need to start compiling names and info bro . I will make a few calls to some friends and see what I can find out . Something really needs to be done about these assholes .

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back