What should I put my old drivetrain into? Two possible projects..

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
Well guys, I'm getting rid of all my 4.0 stuff and by Christmas time, as a present to myself should have two cars built. The thing is what do I want to build up??!

I've got two possibilities:

1. My dads old 82 GT.
1250048191.jpg

1250048194.jpg

1250048193.jpg

2. Our old 71 Mach 1.

1250048189.jpg

Only thing is, I'd feel bad about putting a v6 motor into such a bad ass car. lol. So I'm leaning towards the 82 right now. And the car actually isn't for me, I'm building my 07 up for me, and the other project is going to be for my little brother when he turns 15 next year, so my parents won't have the strain of having to get him a car when he starts driving and so my grandpa doesn't give him the 08 bullitt since my grandfather wants to give it away or sell it and get a bad ass 93 Cobra. However... If I'm going to spend time and money busting my ass to get him this car, even though it's not something fucking amazing, he's going to have his own blood and sweat into this car. lol. Well that's the background to all this, so some opinions guys! :beerchug2:

Oh and here's our winch truck getting air under the tires.. haha.

1250048195.jpg

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I'm not so sure it will easily outrun a stock 5.0 but it would be fun.

yeah, I've outrun a few in my area in my heavy ass S197 so I don't think it would be a complete rape, it would just be a drivers race to a certain extent before I get back into the fashion of modding the 4.0 again. lol.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
yup, that's what I'm counting on. That way if time comes to line up against a pushrod 5.0 that's pretty much stock, this modular with 1 less liter of displacement will take the cake on such a light car!

I'm sorry but it would get its ass handed to it against a stock 5.0 if they even exist anymore. You gotta remember that the 5.0 makes 300tq and the 4.0 only makes 240 tq.

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
I'm sorry but it would get its ass handed to it against a stock 5.0 if they even exist anymore. You gotta remember that the 5.0 makes 300tq and the 4.0 only makes 240 tq.

seriously? I thought the numbers were much lower than that. Like 225 HP and right around matching torque.. and 3.45 gearing.. in a 86 to 93 at least.

Last edited:

Solitear

forum member
Reaction score
T_T u have 71 mach i ENVY YOU~!!!!!!!!! (love older stangs so much)

82 be better drop in for the v6 imo. Mmm have your brother help you with the swap then to make him work then >=)

alloy6ix

Wiener Dog Racer
Reaction score
T_T u have 71 mach i ENVY YOU~!!!!!!!!! (love older stangs so much)

82 be better drop in for the v6 imo. Mmm have your brother help you with the swap then to make him work then >=)
haha, yup, he's going to work his balls off to with this one. and yeah, that car actually has a 9" rear and a C4. it used to be a drag car, but the motor was the weak link and gave out. When I was growing up my dad nor grandpa never had time for it, so now that I will, it becomes my project. :thumb2:

My father-in-law has a bad ass 93 Cobra he wants to sell. I think it has under 40K original miles on it.

Wow... :omfg: I think next summer if he still has it, you very well may have a buyer. Wee gotta pay off a few other toys first. lol.

Solitear

forum member
Reaction score
haha, yup, he's going to work his balls off to with this one. and yeah, that car actually has a 9" rear and a C4. it used to be a drag car, but the motor was the weak link and gave out. When I was growing up my dad nor grandpa never had time for it, so now that I will, it becomes my project. :thumb2:

Wow... :omfg: I think next summer if he still has it, you very well may have a buyer. Wee gotta pay off a few other toys first. lol.

QFT, thats good he's going to work for it, mmm bills yea.. i have them also they murdered my LT's before i could order em now i wont have em done by b-day it be ordered by then at least >.<;;

Yea have a guy i know at car meets sellen his 98 cobra has original motor and only 68k on it, seems people tryen to get rid of them alota people sellen cobras x.x well not the 03-04 ones... ='(

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I hate to break the bad news to you dipshits but that is NOT a '71 Mustang. That is a '69. And if you put a V6 into either car I'm going to kick your ass off this planet.

Just send me both the '82 and the '69. I'll make sure they are well taken care of and have nice drivetrains.

Seriously.....what will it take to get them away from your Dad?

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I hate to break the bad news to you dipshits but that is NOT a '71 Mustang. That is a '69. And if you put a V6 into either car I'm going to kick your ass off this planet.

Just send me both the '82 and the '69. I'll make sure they are well taken care of and have nice drivetrains.

Sure looks like a 69 to me.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
I've had two of them. Sportsroof (390/automatic) and a Mach I (428/four speed). Also owned a '71 Mach I (original 351/four speed car....I kinda fixed that problem with a 429/Jerico).

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I've had two of them. Sportsroof (390/automatic) and a Mach I (428/four speed). Also owned a '71 Mach I (original 351/four speed car....I kinda fixed that problem with a 429/Jerico).

Never had a 69, but I sold this car a couple of years ago. My kids still hate me for selling it. The problem is it had 60K original miles on it with the original 428 CJ that had never been out of the car. I couldn't modify it without hurting the value, so I sold it. I'm a hotrodder at heart.

P1010057.jpg

103005.jpg

Solitear

forum member
Reaction score

Aww you had to break us the bad news >='(

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Never had a 69, but I sold this car a couple of years ago. My kids still hate me for selling it. The problem is it had 60K original miles on it with the original 428 CJ that had never been out of the car. I couldn't modify it without hurting the value, so I sold it. I'm a hotrodder at heart.

Ehhh.....it was yellow so no big loss. :roflmao:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
To each his own, I guess. But I thought it looked pretty good, especially parked in front of my house with my other 2 old Mustangs.

P1010100.jpg

Judging from what I sold it for, the new buyer thought it looked pretty good, too.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Just f'ning with you. It is a very nice car as are the others. Damn...you've got too much money, Slick. :beerdrink:

joedls

Dragracer wannabe
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just f'ning with you. It is a very nice car as are the others. Damn...you've got too much money, Slick. :beerdrink:

Don't worry. I knew you were fuckin with me. I just took the opportunity to post the pic.

I don't have as much money as I had, either. Between the big check I wrote to Uncle Sam and the State of CA this year, my industry taking a shit, and my investments taking a beating (although these are beginning to come back), my cash flow and savings have taken a big hit. In fact, since I can't pay for my 68 build without dipping into my savings (and there is no way I'll do that in this economy), I'll probably be selling my 65 convertible soon to fund that build.

Oh, and since you called me Slick. :beer:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back