NSR Cam Install Pics and Question

Incredible Mr. E

forum member
Reaction score
I am looking for my next project and want to install some NSR cams and am looking for anyone who has installed either the Comp Cams NSR camshafts on their cars or another vendors NSR cams to post any pics of the install and answer a couple of questions:

1. I want to install the cams myself, how hard was it and what special tools will you need.
  2. How long did it take, what would you have done differently if you were to do it over again - the cam install not life or marriage!
  3. Are Phaser limiters required (again leaning towards the Comp Cams NSR cams).
  4. What other items did you replace like Cam Phaser Bolts, Cam Phaser, etc.
  5. Any manuals, pdf files, or other useful guides would be greatly appreciated in addition to pics.
I am not afraid of tearing into the engine but this is the newest engine I have worked on.

I am the type of person if given a decent set of instructions and pictures I can get the job done and since joining this forum there are many things the you guys know that a book doesn't tell you - in other words no substitute for experience and having done it yourself.

Thanks in advance for the help!

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I am looking for my next project and want to install some NSR cams and am looking for anyone who has installed either the Comp Cams NSR camshafts on their cars or another vendors NSR cams to post any pics of the install and answer a couple of questions:

1. I want to install the cams myself, how hard was it and what special tools will you need.
  2. How long did it take, what would you have done differently if you were to do it over again - the cam install not life or marriage!
  3. Are Phaser limiters required (again leaning towards the Comp Cams NSR cams).
  4. What other items did you replace like Cam Phaser Bolts, Cam Phaser, etc.
  5. Any manuals, pdf files, or other useful guides would be greatly appreciated in addition to pics.
I am not afraid of tearing into the engine but this is the newest engine I have worked on.

I am the type of person if given a decent set of instructions and pictures I can get the job done and since joining this forum there are many things the you guys know that a book doesn't tell you - in other words no substitute for experience and having done it yourself.

Thanks in advance for the help!
I have the COMP 127200 NSR Cams
I did them myself 1 hour per side with standard Hand Tools,
No Limiters needed. you will need new bolts (3L3Z-6279-DA)
about 12 bucks each.

Contact me and I can give you all the info I have.

Here is a quick write up I did..
http://s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323059&postcount=8

Last edited:

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
How much horsepower and torque did you pickup after the dyno tune with the Comp Cams Stage 2 NSR #127200 cams? I heard two stories: (1) you lose some low end torque and horsepower; or (2) you gain both throughout the RPM band with a good tune. I'm also planning to go with these cams in January, but I keep hearing mixed results that make me rethink about going with the FRPP "Hot Rod" cams. Can you post a before and after dyno chart? Thanks.

2k05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much horsepower and torque did you pickup after the dyno tune with the Comp Cams Stage 2 NSR #127200 cams? I heard two stories: (1) you lose some low end torque and horsepower; or (2) you gain both throughout the RPM band with a good tune. I'm also planning to go with these cams in January, but I keep hearing mixed results that make me rethink about going with the FRPP "Hot Rod" cams. Can you post a before and after dyno chart? Thanks.

Before the NSR 127200 CAMS
291.01hp 303.23tq
07-15-08Dyno.jpg

This is after the install of the Cams and a TCI SSF 3500 Converter, (I was told it can eat up as much as 10 hp)

Gains 30 RWHP and 13 RWTQ
10-15-09Dyno.jpg

So you don't really Loose Torque, you just don't gain as much as the HP.

bolivianpimp

Reaction score
I have the COMP 127200 NSR Cams
I did them myself 1 hour per side with standard Hand Tools,
No Limiters needed. you will need new bolts (3L3Z-6279-DA)
about 12 bucks each.

Contact me and I can give you all the info I have.

Here is a quick write up I did..
http://s197forum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=323059&postcount=8

1 hour per side!! You must have had a lot of previous knowledge. That is some damn good gains for being N/A also. How did you like the sound ? Do you think they would work alright with a s/c? if all you needed was basic hand tools, I think I might try to tackle this myself.:thumb2:

wdkingery

@ home installer hero
Reaction score
my small change

i love the hot rods, personally:
1. they are made by ford!
2. they do not require any phaser limiting, locking, springs, retainers.. blah blah. truely a cam only install.

on a side note, most here say the comp cams give more power.. i'm not dyno'in till after long tubes anyway, and most here say that the hot rods sound better.. that was just more important for me.

i just installed these a month ago. i got, from BBR i found here on this website:

FRPP hot rod cams
a JLT cold air intake
steeda delete plates
a few tunes
and an X3 tuner

for $1622 shipped.

i installed them, myself, without either of the SST's (special service tools)

it took me about four hours to complete everything.

i can send you a .PDF from ford for a complete write up on installing these cams.. or you can find it on the net some kinda way (that's how i got it)

the jist of the thing goes like this:

1. remove cam covers
2. 12 oclock the crank pulley
3. verify cam position
4. use a typical flat head screwdriver to pop out the 3 roller followers indicated
5. roll the crank to 6 pm
6. stick 2 foot of cut off garden hose tightly stuffed with newspaper down the chain hole as far as it will go (more difficult on passenger's side)
7. remove all of the cam caps
8. have your dad hold the phaser, tightly, so that there's no chance you can knock the chain off the crank sprocket
9. remove the bolt that holds the cam, and swap the cams (it was only finger tight at this point)
10. tighten them down per the sequence
11. pull your garden hose
12. spin back to 12 pm

now this is where it gets difficult. and only really on the exhaust roller follower on the back of the cylinder head

13. use 2 screwdrivers or similar (my lead tech likes to use a bent screwdriver that is originially intended for drum brake adjustment) to push the roller follower on the hydraulic lash adjuster (not onto the valve), prying against the head sidewall

the same situation applies to the other side.. except the 2 together and the one separate (roller followers) are on the opposite ends of the head this time. and also it's harder to find a way to wedge the garden hose (imo you could likely ditch the garden hose altogether if you ensure your dad doesn't let the chain gather any slack)

and this, of course, is in conjunction with following the .pdf verbatim

the video results of all this hard work: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY60A2nuN_8

EDIT: make sure you clean your throttle body first, or you will chase the legendary "bad idle after cam install" when there's really nothing wrong other then some carbon. it resides between where the butterflies come by, and the actual aluminum of the throttle body. i might even say do this first; key on, stick holds gas pedal down, use brakleen and a toothbrush to eliminate all carbon around where each butterfly comes closest to throttle body... especially if you've had a come-and-go check engine light for p0506: lower idle than expected, or any hunting idles

Last edited:

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I just got done with my v8 install. My only advice is to realize the what ford calls the 'roller follower' (its just what the call the rocker arm). Also, make sure your torque wrench is accurate and is in good working order. Don't ask...

For real though, take it easy, slow and you'll be fine. COMP NSR II cams will give you the highest hp increase over any other NSR cams. Point blank period...

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
I wish I could see a Comp Cams NSR Stage 2 cam overlayed on a FRPP Hot Rod cam dyno chart to compare and contrast. I hear the Comp Stage 2 gives you more "peak" power while losing only a little down low, but the FRPP Hot Rod cams don't lose any power down low, but provide improved performance across the RPM band - power under the curve. Does anyone really know? Thanks.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I wish I could see a Comp Cams NSR Stage 2 cam overlayed on a FRPP Hot Rod cam dyno chart to compare and contrast. I hear the Comp Stage 2 gives you more "peak" power while losing only a little down low, but the FRPP Hot Rod cams don't lose any power down low, but provide improved performance across the RPM band - power under the curve. Does anyone really know? Thanks.

false. Read the above graph. His NSR II cams gained a lot up top, a good amount of hp throughout and only lost 2tq in a certain place of the band while gaining tq on the other parts. Sorry for my vagueness, the graph isn't in front of me.

Gray Ghost GT

Road Racing Fanatic!
Reaction score
Look again - his graph compares before and after - stock cam vs. Comp Cams Stage 2 NSR. I asked about a comparison with the FRPP Hot Rod cams, and there are two separate dyno graphs - NOT overlayed over each other for a better comparison. I plan to install cams in January and have been leaning toward the Comps, but.....

Last edited:

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I jsut installed the 127200 cams on Wednesday, have not been to the dyno yet but the difference that I can see now is, before from a 20 mph I would stomp it and it would try to break the tires loose, now from 20 mph it immediately breaks the tires loose and instead of a short 3rd gear bark it is a very long one, this is wiht an automatic.

Just take your time, when you pull the cam gear off the cam will spin to the most relaxed spring position, you just need to roll the motor to where the cam gear locating pin is in line with the the end of the cam shaft, bolt the sprocket to the cam, you will have to push the end of the cam down agains the springs and then put your cam tower caps on and tighten then torque them down. It really is a no sweat remove and replace, just watch what you're doing and take your time.

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Yes NSR cams are veeerrrry simple. Cams in these cars in general are simple. Limiters or lockouts are also easy to install with the right tools. My dad and I drank beer and watched the game in the garage as we worked and it still only took 3 hours for cams and limiters.

Did that write up i sent you help out Terry? Its one of the better ones on the net. Its for springs cam but you can skip the steps to install NSR. Here it is. Step by step with pictures.
http://www.powerperformancenews.com/forum/ford-3v-mustang-cam-install-452.html

terry5357

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yes NSR cams are veeerrrry simple. Cams in these cars in general are simple. Limiters or lockouts are also easy to install with the right tools. My dad and I drank beer and watched the game in the garage as we worked and it still only took 3 hours for cams and limiters.

Did that write up i sent you help out Terry? Its one of the better ones on the net. Its for springs cam but you can skip the steps to install NSR. Here it is. Step by step with pictures.

YES MAN!!!!!!!!! that is exactly what I went buy, THANK YOU very much, it was great help. but like you say, it really isn't a big deal, I think even less of a deal that the old push rod cams. Pop the tops remove the sprocet bolt and the cam tower caps and DON NOT TOCH THE FOLLOWERS.......lmao. you know what happens if you just accidently touch one, it was shit, shit, shit......stop put it back on, then tryer her again.

It was all pretty easy, the extra pair of hands are not a must, but very good to have.

Thanks again, will have some time slips after the weekend. I'm kind of like Don and prefer the track dyno.....lol

07stangcs

Undecided
Reaction score
Required tools and parts...

Parts:
Cams
Limiters or lockouts depending on cams
2x TTY Phaser bolts(cost $30 shipped from both Brenspeed or RPMOutlet)
Cam Break in lube(Some say its not needed and to just use oil,but IMHO you really need it)
Timing chain wedge(Either DIY or from Ford<<Waste of money)http://s197forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23870

Tools:
Basic hand tools (various sockets and extensions)
Torque wrench(89 in lbs for cam caps and 30 ft lbs for phaser bolt)
Limiter install youll need the limiter tools(Not really the vct spring compress but the clip is needed)
Lockouts you need nothing

If anyone wants to borrow tools(Torque wrench,timing wedge,spring clip and cam lube) PM me and i can let you use them. Just paying shipping both ways.

h8imports

forum member
Reaction score
Well my cams came in yesterday. So I'm going to install mine this weekend sometime with some help with my friends. I think I'm going to his house to do the install!

I will try and post what we do afterwards.

Incredible Mr. E

forum member
Reaction score

07stangcs, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for - Thanks!

Actually, thanks to everyone responding to this thread - it does not appear out of the realm of anyone with basic mechanical knowledge to perform.

I am leaning towards the Comp NSR cams or the Custom grind ones Comp Cams makes or sells through Brenspeed - has anyone installed the latter on their mustang?

08StangGT_CS

forum member
Reaction score
07stangcs, this is exactly the kind of information I was looking for - Thanks!

Actually, thanks to everyone responding to this thread - it does not appear out of the realm of anyone with basic mechanical knowledge to perform.

I am leaning towards the Comp NSR cams or the Custom grind ones Comp Cams makes or sells through Brenspeed - has anyone installed the latter on their mustang?

I've been wondering about those myself for quite a bit. Let me know.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back