currious about high flow cats

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Will a pair of high flow cats (Bassani specifically) be sufficient enough to prevent the 02 sensors from tripping a CEL? Has anyone installed them in an 07+ without issue?

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I have them and ended up turning off the rear O2 sensors.

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Well I have an off road pipe now and it threw one despite the MIL eliminators I put on.

ZmanM3

The Evil One
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Hmm, MIL eliminators should have fixed it. Thats what I ended up doing instead of going to get it turned off in the tune and it worked like a charm.

Stormbringer

Reaction score
Well most places list the eliminators for 96-06... Thats why I was wondering if something had changed in 07.

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
Will a pair of high flow cats (Bassani specifically) be sufficient enough to prevent the 02 sensors from tripping a CEL? Has anyone installed them in an 07+ without issue?

I have them & sometimes turn the cats on & off with no issues. Make sure you get the expensive cats with the metalic substrate. The other type of cats are cheap and break apart like a a clay pot. (and if I recall someone on the board (Don??) had one go to hell (not bassani but still clay substrate and it cost him a motor)

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
I have them & sometimes turn the cats on & off with no issues. Make sure you get the expensive cats with the metalic substrate. The other type of cats are cheap and break apart like a a clay pot. (and if I recall someone on the board (Don??) had one go to hell (not bassani but still clay substrate and it cost him a motor)
Just to clarify, the Dynatech cat that failed and grenaded my motor had a stainless steel core, not clay.

don_w

Reaction score
wow, how did that happen?
That's an old story from early 2006. It's posted on other forums, but not here.

Oh, what the hell... might as well copy and paste it here for posterity. Almost everyone likes carnage pics. haha

==================================================

Originally posted February 28, 2006

Before I offer our theory on what may have happened, I‘ll share some pics I took during the teardown. Note, there is a key piece of evidence missing from these photos. More on that later.

ENGINE REMOVAL

DSC06723.JPG

DSC06732.JPG

ROD THROUGH BLOCK, DRIVERS SIDE

DSC06734.JPG

DSC06735.JPG

DSC06736.JPG

HOLE IN BLOCK, PASSENGER SIDE

DSC06739.JPG

DSC06743.JPG

DEBRIS IN OIL PAN

DSC06767.JPG

WINDAGE TRAY DAMAGE

DSC06760.JPG

PASSENGER SIDE CYLINDERS, FRONT TWO DAMAGED

DSC06762.JPG

#1 PISTON, CRACK VISIBLE JUST UNDER THE “S2” MARKING

DSC06764.JPG

CRACKED CYLINDER WALL, NOTE WATER SEEPING IN

DSC06765.JPG

EXAMPLE OF DETONATION VS. NONE (MY PISTON IS ON THE RIGHT)

DSC06770.JPG

BOTTOM SIDE OF PISTONS

DSC06771.JPG

DSC06773.JPG

TOP SIDE OF PISTONS (SOME GOUGING, PLUS CRACK IN RIGHT ONE)

DSC06777.JPG

========================================================

So… what happened? Well, let just say my cat blew its wad.

When I was removing the exhaust system prior to pulling the engine, I had trouble getting the X-pipe out of the cat. Once it came loose, a large chunk of the catalytic converter material fell out of the X-pipe on the driver’s side (see first three pics below). It had blown out of the cat, and lodged in the pipe. And, on the header side of the cat, the material had basically caved in on itself (see fourth pic). The combination of the collapsed inlet side, and the chunk blocking the outlet side, effectively eliminated the ability for the engine to breathe on the left side.

Although it seemed to drive fine that morning on my way to the shop, we suspect that this cat may have already started to self destruct prior to my arrival. When the new pulley went on, it is possible that the added boost sealed the fate of the cat; maybe even on the first dyno pull.

So, with the left side of the engine all choked up, the right side was left to absorb most (if not all) of the boost and energy of the engine. The amount of pressure in the right side cylinders must have been staggering, considering all the air the blower was forcing into the engine. When Adam was tuning the car, he would modify the timing tables to add timing, but as a safety factor, he allowed the car’s computer to retard timing if it determined a need to. Since half the cylinders were not functioning correctly, the computer kept retarding timing. It’s obvious now why the car was not making any power at all on the dyno, and never had anymore than 14 degrees of timing in it all day. IMO, no amount of skill by Adam as a tuner was going to stop the inevitable.

In the end, we believe that the clogged exhaust on the left side placed an inordinate amount of stress on the right side of the engine, ultimately ending in the untimely death of two rods that aren’t the strongest rods to begin with. There is just no way that four cylinders could handle it alone.

Bottom line for me… the premature death of my engine was not due to a tuning error, nor can it be blamed on the Kenne Bell supercharger. Given the circumstances, this would have happened no matter what power adder was on the car, and no matter who was tuning it. I still have 100% full confidence in both Adam as a tuner, and in Kenne Bell’s product.

p.s. I’m also wondering if this cat was starting to collapse on itself a couple weeks ago, creating a partial blockage, and possibly contributed to the P0340 code I was getting on the passenger side bank. Not sure on that one… your opinions are welcome.

p.p.s. And yes, I will be contacting Dynatech regarding this issue.

DSC06797.JPG

DSC06800.JPG

DSC06802.JPG

DSC06804.JPG

don_w

Reaction score
Here is some more from February 2006

=================================================

Take a look a these photos!! This is the path that I believe the “projectile” made when it came apart. The force must have been tremendous. The piece of the cat actually made the bend in the X-pipe segment, and eventually stopped when it hit the A/F meter that was in the bung. You can see how hard the impact must have been… it crushed part of the “missile”. Amazing…

DSC06805.JPG

DSC06806.JPG

DSC06807.JPG

DSC06808.JPG

DSC06809.JPG

matt texass

Reaction score
dam all that does is make me worry about my cats.......... what causes cat failure

Royb

forum member
Reaction score
dam all that does is make me worry about my cats.......... what causes cat failure

in Don's case it looks like "Defective Manufacturing" A one piece metallic substrate should not break apart. As of a couple years ago to the best of my knowledge bassani only had one set of the bassani cats with metallic substrate come apart & that was due to a backfire explosion on a very high horsepower car (JPC racing).

for the most pars cats fail due to to much fuel, wrong kind of fuel, & age.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back