S197 Auto to Manual Swap Parts Needed

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score
I love this forum because of all the knowledge available. So here we go. I am about to do a swap from auto to manual and I have a donor car.A friend and I are swapping. However I always believe in having a plan B just in case. So I was wondering if anyone has a list of parts needed for this conversion and part #s if possible other than the obvious the trans, pedal assembly, clutch and flywheel. Thanks.

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score
I tried the search buttons but nothing with parts needed info. Just other threads of people wanting to swap. I would not have asked if it was available.

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
No need for part numbers if you have a donor car. Everything should be there with the exception of one tiny little part that the Ford dealer is going to have hell locating for you. Funny part about it is, all it is is a piece of dynamat. It is what is used to cover the hole in the firewall where the clutch assembly goes through the firewall.

Manual car is going to need from the automatic car:
PCM
Transmission
Transmission cooler and lines
Bell housing bolts
Torque converter
Flex plate
Flex plate bolts
Torque converter bolts
Brake pedal set and switches.
Shifter
Shifter mounting plate
Brake master cylinder reservoir
Console trim piece

Automatic car is going to need from the manual car
PCM
Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
Brake pedal set
Slave cylinder and all associated lines
Bell housing bolts
Flywheel bolts
Brake pedal/clutch pedal set and switches
Shifter
Shifter rubber boot.
Shifter leather boot for console
Console trim piece.

Both cars are going to have to have the PATS system reprogrammed to match the new PCMs. Also, you are going to have to figure out the brake / clutch safety switch issues. I can't advise you on going from auto to manual, but I know that going from manual to auto you have to leave the clutch safety switch in the car and tie wrap it closed so that the BCM thinks the clutch is always pushed in. You also have to jury rig a wire from the brake light switch to the brake lockout switch on the auto shifter to get the 5v signal to engage the lockout switch so you can take it out of park. There is something funky somewhere within one of the computers that I never found when I did my swap. And I tried changing out BCMs. Didn't make any difference. Thus the work around for the clutch switch and brake switch.

And just to support what Freaknazty said.. there are plenty of swap threads on here with details.

2006torquefreak

forum member
Reaction score
No need for part numbers if you have a donor car. Everything should be there with the exception of one tiny little part that the Ford dealer is going to have hell locating for you. Funny part about it is, all it is is a piece of dynamat. It is what is used to cover the hole in the firewall where the clutch assembly goes through the firewall.

Manual car is going to need from the automatic car:
PCM
Transmission
Transmission cooler and lines
Bell housing bolts
Torque converter
Flex plate
Flex plate bolts
Torque converter bolts
Brake pedal set and switches.
Shifter
Shifter mounting plate
Console trim piece

Automatic car is going to need from the manual car
PCM
Transmission
Flywheel
Clutch
Brake pedal set
Slave cylinder and all associated lines
Bell housing bolts
Flywheel bolts
Brake pedal/clutch pedal set and switches
Shifter
Shifter rubber boot.
Shifter leather boot for console
Console trim piece.

Both cars are going to have to have the PATS system reprogrammed to match the new PCMs. Also, you are going to have to figure out the brake / clutch safety switch issues. I can't advise you on going from auto to manual, but I know that going from manual to auto you have to leave the clutch safety switch in the car and tie wrap it closed so that the BCM thinks the clutch is always pushed in. You also have to jury rig a wire from the brake light switch to the brake lockout switch on the auto shifter to get the 5v signal to engage the lockout switch so you can take it out of park. There is something funky somewhere within one of the computers that I never found when I did my swap. And I tried changing out BCMs. Didn't make any difference. Thus the work around for the clutch switch and brake switch.

And just to support what Freaknazty said.. there are plenty of swap threads on here with details.

Thanks man

hoovsgt

HoovsGT
Reaction score
If you swap eec harness also you will not need to to any wireing.Make sure you get the short jumper harness that plugs to clutch switch(has a relay in it).The EEC harness and the PCM together from the manuel car will make it a breeze to do.

SlvrS197

Reaction score
it i would swap to an auto in a heart beat if it wasnt so damn expenssive

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you swap eec harness also you will not need to to any wireing.Make sure you get the short jumper harness that plugs to clutch switch(has a relay in it).The EEC harness and the PCM together from the manuel car will make it a breeze to do.

Good point, I forgot you will need to swap wiring harnesses also.

gmantheman

forum member
Reaction score
This may be blasphemy, but the only reason why I would not mind switching from man to auto is so my wife could drive the car, but then maybe she would appriciate the car like I do.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Bumping an old thread...

I am considering an auto conversion on my '07 and found a set-up from a '06, and just want to confirm everything will work except the PCM. Is this correct? Anything else I need to consider?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Engine harness is different as well, relating to the trans connectors. You can use your auto harness, mostly, making the speed sensor connector change, and handling reverse wiring.
Otherwise you'll need a '07+ manual engine harness as well (some of the pins in the pcm connector are different from 06/07).

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, my car is currently manual and the donor auto parts are coming from an '06. So will the the '06 auto harness work on my '07?

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
I am getting close to finding all the parts to complete the swap to auto, but will more than likely need to pick up the PCM and engine harness from a junk yard as the rest of the donor parts are from an '06.

There seems to be several different auto PCM p/n's available. Is there an easy way to determine which one I would need or does it make a difference??

Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 4.6L, AT, ID 7R3A-ADC
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 4.6L, AT, ID 7R3A-AKC
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 4.6L, AT, ID 7R3A-ASC
Elec Cont Unit (ECU), 4.6L, AT, ID 7R3A-ATB

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
For future refernce, found this info for '07 auto PCMs

7ZF1G80A21 (SFT1) 4.6L 3v V8 SOHC EFI Automatic TransmissionWith 49 State/Non Green State
7ZF1U80B05 (NSC2) 4.6L 3v V8 SOHC EFI Automatic Transmission With California/Green State

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Bumping for a question...

I just got the car back after a month in ths shop for a manual to auto swap (long story on why it took so long) and noticed while driving it home the cruise does not work. Is this normal or is there an easy fix to get it operational??

I am going to touch bases with the shop on Monday as well.

doogie

forum member
Reaction score
Never mind as I am bonehead sometimes as it hit me this morning that I did the CC on/off button line lock mod and found my console switch set to the "line lock" position. Just verified CC is working normal.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back