Melling Billet Oil pump

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Does the Melling oil pump use the same plug for the relief valve as the 4.6L 3V or 5.4L 4V?

Last edited:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In your opinion then, if the person felt fine in disassembling a stock pump and using billet gears, would you still recommend the melling pump over a stock with billet gears?

I know you asked Tommy Ron but my opinion is yes. The reason IMO is because of the better casing. Remember back when all the discussions of harmonics maybe having effects on some of the pump failures. IMO the beefier case comes into play there. I also think the bigger case and the gears being part of the fabricated unit create a stronger and steadier oil flow but this is all just my opinion.

tommygodfrey

JPC Sales & Tech
Reaction score
Does it provide the pressure and volume that the phasers require?

Yes it does. We've had these pumps to almost 8000rpms. I would rather not have stocker. If you building a nice expensive motor the least amount of stock parts the better.

Craig@TSS

Reaction score
Harmonics does have its affects on any set pump gears installed, but the epic failure of the stock gears is due to Ford's selection of materials. Their overall design of the oil pump is good it just needed someone to come along and make the proper changes.

RPM is no limit of our gears, our shop car which has a set of our off the shelf HO gears leaves at 5000rpm is shifted at 9000rpm and goes through the 1/4 mile traps 9200rpm at 170mph.

Craig

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
Harmonics does have its affects on any set pump gears installed, but the epic failure of the stock gears is due to Ford's selection of materials. Their overall design of the oil pump is good it just needed someone to come along and make the proper changes.

RPM is no limit of our gears, our shop car which has a set of our off the shelf HO gears leaves at 5000rpm is shifted at 9000rpm and goes through the 1/4 mile traps 9200rpm at 170mph.

Craig

And that's why I buy gears from TSS.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Got my Melling oil pump installed after JPC hooked me up with it and fired the car up last night and everything is great so far! Thanks JPC!!

Shawn

eng943

forum member
Reaction score
How difficult a job is installing new oil pump, or secondarily, how expensive is it to install on an existing motor in the car.

I only ask because I have a stock pump and currently have the blower off.

SC boss

watch this!
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you have to pull the whole front apart, timing cover, chains etc. to get to the pump. I was already at this point so it was simple for me and that is why I went ahead and did it. If you do it yourself you are only out the expense of the pump and your time. You will have to replace the Harmonic Dampner/crank pulley bolt if you do not already have the ARP one.

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Has Melling made any statements that they'll replace any engine that craters due to a failure of their pump? I know TSS came close to saying that in a thread but refused to come flat out and say it.

US-1

Banned
Reaction score
So when do you start selling oil pumps? :roflmao:

Be sure and do a group buy. Everybody loves a group buy.

Nobody actually buys anything but they all love it. :evil:

Reaction score

Craig

We have been using these gears for quite some time and have been having good luck with them.

Has Melling made any statements that they'll replace any engine that craters due to a failure of their pump? I know TSS came close to saying that in a thread but refused to come flat out and say it.

I think you'll have a hard time getting any part manufacturer to get that far behind their product.

Especially for what everyone wants to pay for stuff....

Craig@TSS

Reaction score
Unfortunately I may have worded a statement wrong but I never meant to convey the message that we would ever stand behind an engine in whole that we did not build. Triangle Speed will stand behind any product WE manufacture, and replace it or refund it in the case of its failure. So far to date this policy we have hasn't been employed and we plan to keep it that way, by offering that best products produced.

I do understand however what happens when an oil pump itself fails but I cannot be held accountable for a complete engine failure for an engine I did not build. Kinda falls in that old saying "what came first the chicken or the egg?" or what part is to blame?

We may be crazy but we do offer warranty on our performance engines but only those that we have complete control over:
1. supply all parts for
2. machine and assemble
3. remove and install engine assembly
4. break in and tune

Takes all the other "he said, she said" variables out of the equation and allows us to offer a warranty.

Craig

Craig@TSS

Reaction score
Sounds great, we look forward to doing business. By that time we are going to be offering our oil pump with a new housing and a few new bells and whistles as a package deal.

Craig

bigray327

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sounds great, we look forward to doing business. By that time we are going to be offering our oil pump with a new housing and a few new bells and whistles as a package deal.
Hey, now we're talkin. I'll be doing heads in the summer, maybe... will that be ready by then? And where's my pony?! :roflmao:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back