Comp Mutha Thumpr and Pypes long tubes installed and dyno tested...

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Well, it's been a busy couple of days. I installed the cams last night and the headers this afternoon. Then I headed over to the dyno for some updated numbers. All I can say is WOW, what a difference!

The cam install was quite easy. It pays to do a ton of research before hand. Being familiar with the procedure and keeping everyone's tips in mind made for an enjoyable install.

I can't say I enjoyed installing the headers, but it wasn't horrible. What I can say is that I am THOROUGHLY impressed with the Pypes headers. Although I have never installed or even handled another brand of headers for these cars, these look excellent. There were ZERO fitment issues. Everything fit perfect with plenty of clearance.

I'd like to throw a shout-out and a thank you to Ryan (kungfuhampster) for the extra pair of hands the past few days. Also, I'd like to thank John and Chris at BBR. They have been awesome in getting tunes to me quickly and working with me on issues I've had. They even rushed an "emmisions" tune to me so I could get my car inspected. BBR is a top notch place and I only wish I lived closer to them so they could do a full tune on my car.

I do need to get the tune sorted out some. WOT seems to be great, but idle and part throttle need some adjustment. I'm going to talk to BBR some more on Monday and see what we can do. Also considering a custom dyno tune.

So, what did it make? The last trip to the dyno netted me 303/319 SAE corrected (red line on dyno graph). Mods then (two weeks ago) were JLT, CMDPs, off-road x-pipe, and Pypes Violators. The Mutha Thumprs and Pypes long tubes netted me a gain of 47hp and 15ft/lbs for a total of 350/334 SAE corrected (blue line on dyno graph). I was shocked to be honest. As you can see by the dyno graph, the low end tune needs some work, but I'll get that sorted out no problem I'm sure. Oh, and I still have under drive pulleys to install. Should be worth a couple more at the wheels.

The car feels like an animal on the top end (comparatively speaking of course). Traction is now an issue in 2nd gear. So far the stock 3.55s don't seem too bad. I'm sure gears would make it feel like a whole different animal as well, but I'm going to hold out as long as possible on those. 3.73s or 3.90s would be as far as I'd go anyway. Well, I'm anxious to hear what you guys have to say. Hope you enjoy all the pictures. I have a few more if anyone is interested in a more detailed look.

Here's a short sound clip of the idle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRm2-1o6jQ8&feature=channel

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 148
  • header1.jpg
    header1.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 72
  • header2.jpg
    header2.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 61
  • header3.jpg
    header3.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 67
  • header4.jpg
    header4.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 89
  • header5.jpg
    header5.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 71
  • header6.jpg
    header6.jpg
    287.8 KB · Views: 64
  • header7.jpg
    header7.jpg
    321.6 KB · Views: 69
  • header8.jpg
    header8.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 94
  • header9.jpg
    header9.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 85

Blxcklist

Hi Im Justin
Reaction score
Congrats. Those are impressive numbers. I'd love to hear some sound clips

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Awesome results, and I'm glad to hear about the Pypes header quality. :)

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
Very nice results and the car sounds great.:thumb:

Good to hear about the pypes, just ordered a set myself. They are getting great reviews by everyone that actually has them.

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Like I said, I was super impressed with them. You can't ask for much more than nice welds, no clearance issues, and no leaks. Winner winner chicken dinner.

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score
Like I said, I was super impressed with them. You can't ask for much more than nice welds, no clearance issues, and no leaks. Winner winner chicken dinner.

Sweet, they sure sound worth buying to save the extra 300-500 you'd spend on the Kooks, I'll probably get a pair of these one day when I build a 3v. :beerchug2:

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Sweet, they sure sound worth buying to save the extra 300-500 you'd spend on the Kooks, I'll probably get a pair of these one day when I build a 3v. :beerchug2:

I got a steal on mine...$480 shipped from Summitracing for the header and x-pipe set. They've since fixed the price. LOL

Jeffs FRC

forum member
Reaction score
I got a steal on mine...$480 shipped from Summitracing for the header and x-pipe set. They've since fixed the price. LOL
Damn I just payed $680 shipped with a set of O2 extensions. I wasn't sure if the pypes came with extensions so I just ordered them also...

Brn N Rubr

forum member
Reaction score
Damn I just payed $680 shipped with a set of O2 extensions. I wasn't sure if the pypes came with extensions so I just ordered them also...

Still a fair price. And yes, it comes with a single extension. You only need one for the driver side front. Have fun with the install!

470 GT/CS

forum member
Reaction score

No fair LOL, that's a sick price, you got the best of both worlds since they have very good quality.

S

Sini5ter08

Sounds great. I have the same cams but different long tubes. Good luck with getting your tune right with those cams. No one has been able to get mine right.

2NY

icedesign
Reaction score
thats the same setup im goin with! i love them cams too! you should really get some 4.10's put in though..they are recommended with those cams they will help on the low end to make up for the torque you lost with those cams

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back