FRPP hot rod cams and nitrous..?

RSKtakR

Reaction score
i have been reading through the forums here about these cams, they sound great and ive read anywhere from 25-35 whp gains depending on mods i guess.. however.. i havent noticed anyone running these cams w/ a blower or spray.? pros/cons? i THOUGHT that a good LSA for nitrous was 112 or so and the hot rods are 110. are these cams and spray a bad or worthless combo? i have a 2006 gt auto, mods are :
-C&L Racer CAI
-Steeda CMCV deletes
-Steeda UDP's
-JBA longtubes w/ O/R h-pipe
-TCI 3k stall
-FMS 3:73's
-Zex 100 shot (wet) and window switch
-HT0's
-Corsa's
i will probably have a local shop do the swap for me and dyno-tune the car after the install. this car isnt my daily driver, it sits in the garage alot, no plans of going FI either. i LOVE and really want the lope, i DONT want to have to have the springs replaced, however i want to put some cams in that are going to work w/ the spray and not just blow it out the exhaust. thanks for the help in advance!

Last edited:

06iornhorse

forum member
Reaction score
Well I will be finding out but was told by my tuner that the combo will work great. Got my tracking number today for my kit from HSW.

Marc s

NASA AIX
Reaction score
There are pros and cons to the Hot Rod's with Nitrous or any other forced induction. The advantage to them is, they heavily favor the exhaust side in regards to duration. Split lift/duration that is greater on the exhaust side is always a plus. The down side is exactly what you already noted, the LSA of 110 degrees. However, this does not mean they will not perform well. If a car made 10 lbs of boost with a blower cam, the 110 LSA would probably sacrifice 1-1.5 lbs of boost. Certainly a cam with a wider LSA would help add power by maintaining boost/cylinder pressure in the chamber. I guess you have to ask yourself if you looking for every last HP available. If you are running a stock bottom end, you are limited by it's strength vs the Hot Rod's ability to make HP with forced induction.

Wes

forum member
Reaction score
I've tuned this combo, works out well. As said, the cam is not a nitrous specific cam but overall you can have your cake and eat it too with the great sounding lope and nitrous.

Good luck,
Wes

RSKtakR

Reaction score
the hot rod cams have arrived and will be getting installed 3/16.. any other updates w/ these cams and nitrous in anyones else's car?

abarker8541

forum member
Reaction score
rsktakr are you installing them? if so. i can help you if need be.

RSKtakR

Reaction score
i was going to attempt it.. but i dont have an air compressor and i didnt care to spend the $$ on the 2 tools i will only use 1 time.. however i do have most other tools required, and a garage. where are you located?

abarker8541

forum member
Reaction score
im in gladstone. i have seen your car out in belton/raymore area. im pretty sure you can rent the tools from auto zone in belton. might look into it.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You dont need to compress the cyclinders with an air compressor for a nsr cam install, and you dont need the spring compressor tool or remove the followers, just need a timing wedge of your choice..

RSKtakR

Reaction score
i will call them in a bit and find out.. have you done a cam swap allready? i would MUCH rather do it myself.. if i had help from someone that has done the swap allready.

and lightblade, i know i dont need a compressor to fill the cylinders w/ presure.. i have read that you need a compressor to get the followers pressed back down and have to do do them in some certain sequence, and have to have the crank pulley in some certain position and then rotate it before you switch sides... ?

RSKtakR

Reaction score
ok, i called around and those tools arent available to rent. imagine that!! lol

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL naysayers our timing wedge worked perfect, no timing issues :)

No you dont need an air compressor period. You may be thinking of the cam spring compressor which just holds the spring in place so you can remove the follower. Just follow the ford instructions for that. The 12 o'clock crank position/cam lobe orientation is the spot where cam has the least amount of pressure on the springs which is the ideal spot to remove the cam at. It is explained in the ford tech man for replacing a cam.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok, i called around and those tools arent available to rent. imagine that!! lol

Nope they are ford proprietary tools. Buy or borrow them or work something out with someone on the forum who has them already.

abarker8541

forum member
Reaction score
havent done the swap yet, but i figured 4 hands is better than two, and with detailed instructions from all the forums i think we can figure it out.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Having done it just recently it is actually quite simple. I would def reccomend having at least 2 people. Go for it guys let us know how it goes.

IHVOCD

forum member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine has the Hot Rod cams with a Zex 75 shot and it run's good. He's running 5 speed,4.30's, delete plates, pullies and a JLT intake and it ran 12:11 at 117 mph. And that was on 20" wheels.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back