v6 to v8 swap clarifications

Reaction score
The story:
My ABS unit failed on me going into a 90 degree bend at 120mph at the track monday. The good news is I set two records: One was track record in my class and the other is for most violent crash. The bad news is I'm out a car. I'm OK aside from some soreness, but the car is pancaked. Fortunately, there was no fire and the driveline survived. I was thankful for once that our cars are as heavy as they are.

I'm trying to find an '07 body to match mine in v6 trim with the same options to make things less troublesome, but prices have jumped up considerably since I last looked.. I found a BASE 07 (auto trans) with what looks like absolutely no options for just under 10k and it looks tempting since I have an entire parts car.

After spending hours searching/PMing with Texasblownv6, here are my questions: My car is a manual, btw

1. Aside from swapping the pedals over, everything under the dash should be the same? I realize the shaker stereo and mycolor system will not be there, but that is none of my concern for now as long as it runs. I'm pretty sure the clutch switch connector will not be there, but its necessity can be pulled out in the tune according to SoundguyDave.

2. Will the pcm trigger a "dummy light" for oil pressure in the base gauge cluster instead of the faux gauges in the IUP dash cars? Or am I just best off swapping the cluster, panels, and airbag over? I've seen threads on cluster swaps in the past, but haven't got back to those yet. Like I said, just trying to get things running asap.

3. I only found one post mentioning the need for a k-member swap and it didn't sound "for sure." Since the motor mounts to the frame rails, are they really different between v6's and 8's? I'm afraid mine is probably tweaked. The trans tunnel and floorpan "rails" are 3 inches closer to the opposite side.

4. Since the donor PCM is for a ABS car, the only thing I have to worry about is the "abs light" in the dash and codes? Can it be "tuned out"?

Also, here's the summary of what I've found so far and wouldn't mind corrections or add ons to anything I've missed to guide my decision in whether or not to purchase the base car:

- PATS key system will have to be reprogrammed.
- Use same year body so electrical connections mate up.
- Fuel line from hard line in firewall to rails need to be changed, otherwise fuel system is the same.
- Trans cross-member is the same, just flipped around with a different rubber mount. (my original one snapped in the crash)
- driveshaft and rear end will need to be swapped.
- A/C and power steering hoses are different.

Anything else?? The car I found is going to be purchased tomorrow based on my findings. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Carl

P.S. Please don't start saying, "just buy a v8", I looked into that. Not likely happening due to financial reasons.

trill gear head

forum member
Reaction score
I'm trying to find an '07 body to match mine in v6 trim with the same options to make things less troublesome, but prices have jumped up considerably since I last looked.. I found a BASE 07 (auto trans) with what looks like absolutely no options for just under 10k and it looks tempting since I have an entire parts car.

Find a 07 5spd base if you can. MT are always cheaper.

After spending hours searching/PMing with Texasblownv6, here are my questions: My car is a manual, btw

1. Aside from swapping the pedals over, everything under the dash should be the same? I realize the shaker stereo and mycolor system will not be there, but that is none of my concern for now as long as it runs. I'm pretty sure the clutch switch connector will not be there, but its necessity can be pulled out in the tune according to SoundguyDave.

The dash's on the v6's are not the same as the GT's. They have a lower rpm. In mine, the red part of the RPM's starts at like 5,800. As for the auto questions, IDK.

2. Will the pcm trigger a "dummy light" for oil pressure in the base gauge cluster instead of the faux gauges in the IUP dash cars? Or am I just best off swapping the cluster, panels, and airbag over? I've seen threads on cluster swaps in the past, but haven't got back to those yet. Like I said, just trying to get things running asap.

IDK if you will get a dummy light. I still have the v6 gauge cluster and I don't have any lights on. You should just swap over the gauge cluster from your GT.

3. I only found one post mentioning the need for a k-member swap and it didn't sound "for sure." Since the motor mounts to the frame rails, are they really different between v6's and 8's? I'm afraid mine is probably tweaked. The trans tunnel and floorpan "rails" are 3 inches closer to the opposite side.

No need for K-member swap. I'm still using the one that came with my v6. I would suggest you swapping over any of the suspension that can be salvaged. Yes, the engine mounts are the same.

4. Since the donor PCM is for a ABS car, the only thing I have to worry about is the "abs light" in the dash and codes? Can it be "tuned out"?

Is your ECU/PCM damaged? If it isn't and you hook up the ABS so that it works, their is no reason that you should get any codes. But if you did, you should be able to have it tune out.

Also, here's the summary of what I've found so far and wouldn't mind corrections or add ons to anything I've missed to guide my decision in whether or not to purchase the base car:

- PATS key system will have to be reprogrammed. Or you can have the PATS turned off in your tune. I've had BBR and Brenspeed turn mine off the first time around.
- Use same year body so electrical connections mate up. Yes, use same year ECU and wiring harness.
- Fuel line from hard line in firewall to rails need to be changed, otherwise fuel system is the same. NO, I only need 1 fuel line. The fuel feed line that goes from the fuel rails and connects to the hard line by the wheel well.
- Trans cross-member is the same, just flipped around with a different rubber mount. (my original one snapped in the crash). I'm pretty sure you need a cross member. You should be able to find one in a junk yard.
- driveshaft and rear end will need to be swapped. Yes
- A/C and power steering hoses are different. Yes

Anything else?? The car I found is going to be purchased tomorrow based on my findings. Any input is greatly appreciated.

You will need to make sure the EGR hoses aren't broken because you will need those.

Thanks

Carl

P.S. Please don't start saying, "just buy a v8", I looked into that. Not likely happening due to financial reasons.

Because you will have a parts car, you should be able to get this swap done quickly and without incident. Assuming you use the right wiring harness and ecu their is no wiring required. At least I didn't incur any.

The reason that I suggested earlier to start off with a v6 is because it will lower your labor a good amount. You won't have to deal with installing the pedals, bleeding the master cylinder etc...

I hope all of this helps you. If you have any questions shoot me a pm and I'll help you any way I can.

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
Good to see you put this in a thread!

Grab that '07 v6 asap!!!!

You can leave the instrument cluster in the v6 as-is, but you'll probably want to put your one in place instead anyway; just remove it and plug it in.

Alex (trill-gh) did a good job answering your questions. He helped me with my swap questions, too.

The oil gauge/light is driven by the ecu/pcm, so there's nothing special you have to do; since the '07's dont have the oil temp sensor in the pan anymore, you're ok there.

Same engine mounts and spacing is used on the v6 and v8 engines; the v6's use larger mounting brackets to get to the mounts, but the same mounts can be used.

Use your fuel line from the GT. They connector is near the driver side wheel, and the line from there to the fuel filter is the same on the v6 and gt, just the short piece to the fuel rail is different. You have that.
And you have all the lines to a/c, power steering, heater hoses, fuel hose, etc.

Your swap will probably be one of the easiest anyone here's ever done, since you have all the parts you need.

As in my pm, same k-member, no need to do anything with that, unless you want to replace it with one for weight reduction, which IMO, is easier to do when the engine is out.

Grab that '07 v6 and you'll be well on your way!

ReMustang05

forum member
Reaction score
One thing you'll have is the brake light/abs light on all the time on your gauge cluster, if you're using your original one. Since your original car had abs and the new one doesnt, the light will be on, and assuming you have the interior upgrade gauges with the message center, you will be swapping the buttons to. When you start the car there will be a beep and a message on the message center about something like brake erorr, you just need to press reset and its off but you have to do this everytime you start the car...

Reaction score
Find a 07 5spd base if you can. MT are always cheaper
Yeah, I've been trying, but there are only so many to choose from. The closest cheapest manual trans car is orange...Negative.

Is your ECU/PCM damaged?
Not that I know of.

- Fuel line from hard line in firewall to rails need to be changed, otherwise fuel system is the same. NO, I only need 1 fuel line. The fuel feed line that goes from the fuel rails and connects to the hard line by the wheel well.
haha, yeah, we were kinda saying the same thing. I guess I worded it kinda weird. I thought the hard line ended closer up top in the firewall.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Carl

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I have a quick question, from what i have read the most ideal situation would be if i was to get a donor car that was as close to the car i currently have so the swap would be fairly easy and without complications or any lights coming on?

TexasBlownV8

Formerly TexasBlownV6
Reaction score
The year models are critical for PCM and engine wiring harness. The rest isn't such a big deal.
But having a donor car, you can grab all, or at least most, of the parts you need from it...and miss out on the scavenger hunt fun of finding the parts you need!

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I was looking at copart like us-1 said and it seems like you can get a good deal. Thanks for the clarifacatin texas!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back