BMR K-Member Installation

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Question for those of you that have done your own installation...

Since "the money pit" is still up on stands, seems like this would be a good time to install a BMR K-Member with 1/2" lowered motor mounts. My question is, how many of you installed your aftermarket K-Members with the vehicle on stands without any help from anyone? Is this possible? I don't want to get half way through the R&I and find out this procedure requires 2 people. I'm planning on using an engine hoist to support the engine and a floor jack to support the OEM K-Member during removal. Looking through BMR's instructions this seems doable.

If I hadn't had my head up my ass I would have done this while the engine was out.

Last edited:

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
i did it on my garage floor with no help...it was a little difficult as the stock piece is a heavy son of a bitch...the engine hoist is a great idea..i didn't use one i used a floor jack with a phone book (not the safest way) on the oil pan to keep the engine up...its very doable i did it in one afternoon..getting the new K member up and in was the easiest part...

DSC02077-1.jpg

DSC02081-1.jpg

DSC02082-1.jpg

DSC02083-1.jpg

DSC02088-1.jpg

DSC02090-1.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
I'm not sure that using an engine hoist is a better idea but I certainly don't like the idea of using a floor jack with a block of wood on the crank pulley

06GTMustang89

Corner Carver
Reaction score
i used it on the oil pain with a hefty phonebook and it was sturdy man trust me...on the back side so the k member could come out and go on...thats how i did it..just trying to help

or you can buy an engine support bar like this...i just didn't have one available in my area so i had to make due..
http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-engine-support-bar-96524.html

Last edited:

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i changed my own k member solo...a couple of times, but that's another story. the absolute hardest part was breaking loose and removing the two bolts that hold the steering rack to the stock k member.

as far has holding up the motor is concerned, i used a concrete block with a screw jack and a 2x4 under the snout of the crank, wedged against the front lip of the oil pan. i removed all the suspension pieces completely, and just lowered down the stock k member by itself making it a lot lighter, and then re-installed the new k member by itself and then added all the suspension pieces.

you can do it by yourself, just take your time and pay attention to details.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Out with the old...
100_1555.jpg

In with the new...
100_1557.jpg

Total time to install was 3.5 hours with no help. Worst part was removing the OEM K-Member and A-Arms - not heavy, just awkward.

You'll notice I was using JDM's lowered Prothane engine mounts as I am Saleen S/C'd. I was concerned about overall engine height with BMR's KM011 K-Member with 1/2" lowered engine mounts. No worries!! Difference was less than 1/8" between the two.

06GTMustang89 I followed your lead - phone book on a floor jack under the sump of the oil pan worked great!!

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back