Front Coil Spring Compressor Recommendations

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Ordered a pair of Tokico D-Spec front struts today. Will need to purchase a coil spring compressor - don't want to borrow or rent one. This makes the 2nd time I have had to use one - time to purchase.

Has anyone used this one?

Last edited:

UltraKla$$ic

PERENNIAL WAXXER
Reaction score
LOL! You actually have too much if you're buying one of these instead of renting! :p

I've used the one that takes a wrench to "turn down" two long clamping screws in order to compress the spring bit the fancier ones have you put your strut inside a clamp with a handle and press the spring down evenly and throughout. Much nicer than the ones rented

rojizostang

i love my cams
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
there are several threads around here regarding this. Most of us that have done this sort of job do it without a spring compressor.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
there are several threads around here regarding this. Most of us that have done this sort of job do it without a spring compressor.

I truly appreciate your input and I am very aware of that method - but I personally do not approve of that method. I prefer to use the spring compressor.

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Not sure why you dont approve of it. I have done both ways. And it is alot safer and easier without the compressor. I will never use a spring compressor again.

07VistaChicago

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, used the no compressor method and agree, a safe method if you have lowering springs already, if they are stock springs they may have too much height and will still contain stored energy at the bottom of the a-arm travel.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
I use this spring compressor you posted. Works well, little more work to get them compressed but still workes out well

Liftedbronco

Shredder
Reaction score
first of all lmfao at no cash.
theyre cheap and a good thing to have. get the ones that clamp on the outside of the coils. even if you dont NEED them for every job, ive used them alot. pep boys and places like that have em. jsut dont get the internal style ones. theyre useless from where im sitting.

ALSO, i actually cut mine shorter and find theyre alot more useful now.

TotoGT06

forum member
Reaction score
what's wrong with borrowing one from autozone???
Nothing wrong with it but if you buy them then you can always change the springs whenever you need to without having to run back to autozone. Some say you dont need a compressor but I think you do. The rears dont need it but the fronts have more pressure in them. Just a safety thing IMO.

Llllike momma always, better ssssssafe than ssssorry

one eyed willy

Pizzle fo shizzle
Reaction score
i use the screw down type with a impact.....i big no no but its always worked good for me. ive done it probably 15 times using these......they cost about $20.

only need it when im dealing with stock springs, aftermarket lowering springs and you dont really need one, you can push them enough using your hands to get them to start tightening down.

what springs?

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back