1L2E and 3L2E Block differences?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I'm looking for technical knowledge of 4.6 modular blocks.

Here's what I know:

The 3L2E casting is used for 05-10 3v (Mustang) motors.

The 1L2E casting was used for 2003-2004 Mach 1, Maruader, and Aviator motors and as a replacement block for warranty repair Cobras.

I dug up a good couple of hour read on the subject somewhere else (modular Fords). But in the end there were still some uncertainties.

I'm asking all this because I picked up a 1L2E-6015-BB block today. I was told it came from a 2004 Mach and it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

All the research I can find shows this block should be plenty strong for a street car but I'd like to know as much about it as possible including any faults. There must of been a reason production was stopped in favor of the 3L casting.

Thanks

05yellowgt

Reaction score
The WAP blocks got a bad wrap over the years of being weak, when in fact any Modular block should be able to handle 1000rwhp with the proper prep with exception of the Cammer 5.0 big bore block as it wasn't designed with the additional strength needed for boost. It should be considered an n/a only block. The motor mounts are different between the 1L and 3L blocks. There are some other small differences that I can't remember off the top of my head.

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
the main webbing was the largest change. the 1l has larger main cast webbing in the valley compared the the 3l.

also the obvious motor mount position and oil feed size is a bit larger. both can use the 3v heads or 4v heads. both are capable of 1k rwhp pretty easy. most of the other differences was in the internals(crank, pistons, rods)

most people compare the differences between the teksid and the wap blocks.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
I have a 1L2E and a 3L2E block I can compare if anyone wants to see the differences.

The 1L2E I have is out of a Mach 1, and the Mach's all definitely have aluminum blocks. In fact, other than the 03-04 Cobras, ALL 4V 4.6L's were aluminum blocks from '93-04. The 3L2E block I have is a brand new "Aluminator" block (M-6010-A46NA), which is a production '05-up Mustang GT block.

In my own visual comparison between the two blocks, the 3L2E has more "beef" in several areas, and the upper main webbing/design is different. Otherwise they're pretty much the same. All the machining appears the same, the motor mount attaching points are the same. Main caps are the same.

Last edited:

Chino

03 Mach 1 & 08 GT
Reaction score
You positive? I was always told they were standard GT 4.6s with Cobra 4V heads

Nope, we got the aluminum blocks with cobra crank, shitty rods and slightly higher compression hyper-crap pistons.

Edit: I also own an 03 mach

JeremyH

3V Fuel Guru
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You positive? I was always told they were standard GT 4.6s with Cobra 4V heads

100%

The lighter block and 4v heads with the shaker setup have been helping mach one's rape peoples faces since 03 lol.

Most underated, well put togther mustang ford did imho.

Rod/piston swap and some boost and they are fucking nasty and light compared to our cars.

My buddies shop has an azure blue twin turbo mach one making 700rwhp and runs low 9's.

Last edited:

Kuro!

Banned
Reaction score
100%

The lighter block and 4v heads with the shaker setup have been helping mach one's rape peoples faces since 03 lol.

Most underated, well put togther mustang ford did imho.

Rod/piston swap and some boost and they are fucking nasty and light compared to our cars.

My buddies shop has an azure blue twin turbo mach one making 700rwhp and runs low 9's.

Learn something new every day haha I had no idea, its not a teksid block is it? or an aluminium block from the romeo factory?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
I have a 1L2E and a 3L2E block I can compare if anyone wants to see the differences.

The 1L2E is out of a Mach 1, and the Mach's are all most definitely aluminum blocks. In fact, other than the 03-04 Cobras, ALL 4V 4.6L's were aluminum blocks from '93-04. The 3L2E block is a brand new "Aluminator" block, which is a production '05-up Mustang GT block.

In my own visual comparison between the two blocks, the 3L2E has more "beef" in several areas, and the upper main webbing/design is different. Otherwise they're pretty much the same. All the machining appears the same, the motor mount attaching points are the same. Main caps are the same.

This is what I thought too. However, I could only look at a picture.

Learn something new every day haha I had no idea, its not a teksid block is it? or an aluminium block from the romeo factory?

It is a Romeo block.

Thanks for all the info guys. I got the block for $205 and just couldn't pass up the opportunity. I'm planning on an 11:1 build with e85 as the main fuel but that could change.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
I'm looking for technical knowledge of 4.6 modular blocks.

Here's what I know:

The 3L2E casting is used for 05-10 3v (Mustang) motors.

The 1L2E casting was used for 2003-2004 Mach 1, Maruader, and Aviator motors and as a replacement block for warranty repair Cobras.

I dug up a good couple of hour read on the subject somewhere else (modular Fords). But in the end there were still some uncertainties.

I'm asking all this because I picked up a 1L2E-6015-BB block today. I was told it came from a 2004 Mach and it was a deal I couldn't pass up.

All the research I can find shows this block should be plenty strong for a street car but I'd like to know as much about it as possible including any faults. There must of been a reason production was stopped in favor of the 3L casting.

Thanks
That WAP block you have is it RF-1L2E-6015-BB? I am curious because I pick up that casting number today to build my '06 and am wondering if people are mixing it up with the NVH variation of the WAP block when they state how much power it can handle. From pictures the NVH main caps look beefier, the oil pan rail is beefier and the ribbing in the valley is different from the WAP. Also how do you know it came from a Mach 1? All the info I have found states this casting number came out of a Lincoln Aviator. Also visually compairing my '06 block to my 1L2E the motor mounts are the same as well as the A/C bolt holes.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
That WAP block you have is it RF-1L2E-6015-BB? I am curious because I pick up that casting number today to build my '06 and am wondering if people are mixing it up with the NVH variation of the WAP block when they state how much power it can handle. From pictures the NVH main caps look beefier, the oil pan rail is beefier and the ribbing in the valley is different from the WAP. Also how do you know it came from a Mach 1? All the info I have found states this casting number came out of a Lincoln Aviator. Also visually compairing my '06 block to my 1L2E the motor mounts are the same as well as the A/C bolt holes.

The seller told me it came from a 2004 Mach 1. The main caps look identical to a 3L, the part number even starts with 3L. The sleeves are relieved for a 4v. It was built on Mar 14 2004. The motor mount bosses look the same as my 3v.

I ordered pistons and rods today. I'm putting +1cc Mahle pistons in it. Going to build it for E85 as the primary fuel and go back to na. Mahles guide says compression should be 12.3 but online calculators come up with about 11.2. I think Mahle used a smaller combustion chamber to come up with their numbers.

I think 400rwhp will be doable. I'll put 4.56 gears in and call it a day. Believe it or not the car is too damn fast for street use right now. It drives like stock but I'm finding myself doing things I shouldn't be doing... Acting more like a teenager than a mid 40's man with teenagers.

Redrocket06

forum member
Reaction score
The cast date on mine is MAR 112 2004, so ours were built real close together. I haven't pulled the stock short block out of my car yet so I dont have anything to compair the main to. On your 1L2E block is the main caps about 3/4" thick and the edges rounded instead of squared off? they just seem........dinky to me for some reason.

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Looks just like my 3L2E caps. The pic is of the 1L.

1L2EMainCaps.jpg

Here's the build info. I had the date wrong.

BlockBuildDate.jpg

Last edited:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back