Longer Wheel Studs

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Today I ordered longer ARP wheel studs for the front hubs & rear axles to accompany my new McGards open end lug nuts. Couple of questions for those of you that have already done this job:

When reinstalling the front hub assemblies, did you replace the dust caps as recommended by Ford, or just the retaining nuts?

Can the rear studs be replaced without removing the axles? Ford's Service Manual clearly shows them being replaced with the axles still in the housing using a c-clamp device to remove them and using a nut with washers to install the new studs. Can the new longer studs be installed using this same procedure?

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The rear can be done, tigerhonaker has pics on here of brenspeed installing them.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
the mcgards should be fine with stock studs as well. im just going to clean them up very good and use the stocke studs

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Today I ordered longer ARP wheel studs for the front hubs & rear axles to accompany my new McGards open end lug nuts. Couple of questions for those of you that have already done this job:

When reinstalling the front hub assemblies, did you replace the dust caps as recommended by Ford, or just the retaining nuts?

Can the rear studs be replaced without removing the axles? Ford's Service Manual clearly shows them being replaced with the axles still in the housing using a c-clamp device to remove them and using a nut with washers to install the new studs. Can the new longer studs be installed using this same procedure?

When I did mine for the front i reused the nut and dust cap. that was 2 years ago and there are no ill effects.

It MAY be different on a 9" rear end housing but I was able to knock out a stud, rotate the axle, knock out another, ect ect. To install i did them the reverse.

I just threaded a stock lug nut onto one of the studs and hit it with a hammer. 1-2 hits per stud and they were out. To reinstall I got some threaded tool online, cant remember where, a stack of washers, and just kept turning it till it pulled the stud into the axle. It was a piece of cake.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
what is the arp part number for these?

100-7722 - Front (Package qty. 5 - requires 2 packages)
100-7723 - Rear (Package qty. 5 - requires 2 packages)

The rear can be done, tigerhonaker has pics on here of brenspeed installing them.

I looked through some of his threads but couldn't seem to find anything. Perhaps someone could post a link

When I did mine for the front i reused the nut and dust cap. that was 2 years ago and there are no ill effects.

Outstanding!!

That's what I needed to know. Unfortunately I wussed out and already ordered the retaining nuts (F3LY-3B477-A - $13.19 ea.) for the front hubs from my local dealer as they were non-stock and I wanted to have them on hand for today. That right there should have told me most people reuse the old nuts. I plan on reusing the grease caps.

It MAY be different on a 9" rear end housing but I was able to knock out a stud, rotate the axle, knock out another, ect ect. To install i did them the reverse.

I just threaded a stock lug nut onto one of the studs and hit it with a hammer. 1-2 hits per stud and they were out. To reinstall I got some threaded tool online, cant remember where, a stack of washers, and just kept turning it till it pulled the stud into the axle. It was a piece of cake.

I spoke with Jim III at JDM after I made this post and he confirmed the studs can be changed without pulling the axles on the 8.8" axle. Ford's instructions even state to use a lug nut and a stack of washers to pull the stud into place. I just wasn't sure if there was enough room behind the axle to install the new longer studs or if the axles had to be removed. I have Strange Engineering's C-Clip Eliminators and really don't want to remove the axles as they currently don't leak - hopefully the C-Clip Eliminators won't be in the way. I should have replaced the studs while I had the axle completely disassembled. Hindsight is 20/20. Do you remember where you purchased the tool from?

Thanks to all for responding

Interesting note about these studs. When I spoke with ARP yesterday, they made sure I was aware these studs were cadmium coated and not to use any type of anti-seize or lubricant whatsoever. The cadmium is the lubricant and is heat activated when the lug nuts are torqued.

Last edited:

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
holy crap i found it

http://www.mustangwheelspacers.com/studinstallationtool.aspx

I used that to draw the stud into the axle but turning it with a large wrench. I still have the tool too, i just found it. DONT get their removal tool though. The removal tool just bent in half when i used it. Removing them with the hammer/lug nut method was truly the best.

908ssp

forum member
Reaction score
I put the front Ford Racing studs/ARP without removing the hubs. I had the rear axles out already for my brake conversion. I just used some spare 1/2-20 nuts spacers to draw the studs in and an impact wrench. Just keep an eye on the studs so as not to break them if you have an impact like mine.

IMG_1572.jpg

IMG_1573.jpg

PLee

forum member
Reaction score
Has anyone used the Moroso studs? They are a LOT cheaper than the ARP's, but they are black...

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
honestly, when it comes to bolts, stds, ect there is NOTHING better than ARP. Ive never had a problem with aRP anything.

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
For those of you that have already swapped your studs, bear with me as I'm sure I'm making more out of this than necessary.

As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I was concerned about having to remove the rear axles to swap the studs. Several of you reassured me that the studs could be swapped without removing the axles. So my next concern was, will my Strange Engineering C-Clip Eliminators be in the way? I can confirm the old studs will come out with the axles in place, and the C-Clip Eliminators are not an issue during the removal process. However you do have to rotate the axle until the stud is in just the correct position to allow for clearance of the stud as it is removed. Also as the stud is removed it must be rotated so the flat shoulder on the stud is toward the C-Clip Eliminator housing, providing the extra clearance required. Hopefully the new ARP studs (which I haven't received yet) will go in the same way. You'll also notice the brake rotor and caliper are still in place - did not remove them.
100_1832.jpg

100_1833.jpg

100_1831.jpg

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
Front Stud Installation

Finally had time to install the longer ARP 100-7722 front studs today. Here's information some may find interesting...

OEM studs protrude through the rotor approx. 1.500" and have approx. 1.250" thread protrusion through the rotor. True thread engagement is approx. 1.000"
100_1840.jpg

To replace the front studs I removed the caliper and rotor
100_1834.jpg

After removing the front hub I removed one of the OEM studs to compare it to the longer ARP stud. ARP stud has approx. 1.000" more thread length than the OEM stud.
100_1836.jpg

Replaced all the studs and reinstalled the hubs, torquing the new retaining nut (F3LY-3B477-A) to 221 ft. lbs. Probably should mention the factory installed nut required a 35 mm socket. The replacement retaining nut required a 36 mm socket. A 1 7/8" socket worked great for installing the grease cap
100_1837.jpg

Reinstalled the rotor & caliper - you'll notice I'm running GT 500 brakes
100_1839.jpg

ARP stud length protruding through the rotor.
100_1838.jpg

100-7722 ARP Stud compared to McGard 63000 Open End Lug Nut
100_1842.jpg

McGard lug nut w/offset washer installed in Race Star wheel. McGard lug nuts with offset washers are approx. .250" shorter than the actual hub thickness of the Race Star wheel. After doing some basic calculations the ARP studs with McGard lug nuts have approx. 1.900" of true thread engagement. That almost twice the thread engagement over the OEM studs.
100_1843.jpg

Race Star wheel installed with lug nuts torqued to 100 ft. lbs. with no lube as per ARP's suggestions (cadmium plated studs do not require lube - cadmium is heat activated and provides required lubrication when the lug nut is torqued).
100_1845.jpg

McGard 63000 open end lug nuts are long enough to use the black plastic plugs supplied with the lug nuts
100_1846.jpg

Total installation time - 2 hours start to finish

Last edited:

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
the front hub absolutely needs to come off to change the front studs? you cant rotate to where the open portion of the backing plate is? i havent looked back there in quite some time so im not sure, thats why i ask

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
i also removed the hubs to change mine. i dont think you can do it with them on the car. If it were that simple i dont think ford would offer new hubs with the 3" studs already installed

tmcolegr

It's All About the Build
Reaction score
the front hub absolutely needs to come off to change the front studs? you cant rotate to where the open portion of the backing plate is? i havent looked back there in quite some time so im not sure, thats why i ask

I'm not going to say that if you removed the caliper and rotor, then rotated the hub to the opening where the caliper was, you couldn't remove and install the studs. However, removing and installing the hub assembly is a 5 minute job. I removed mine so I could use an arbor press to remove and install the studs.

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
well i just bit the bullet and purchased the ARP studs.. i also ordered a new hub/bearing assembly from rock auto cause my driver side is starting to get that annoying humming noise so its on its way out.

Last edited:

classix_stang289

forum member
Reaction score
90bucks for the hub on rock auto, only ordered one hub. only needed one cause one is shot

what you posted would have been great if i needed both, but i dont need both....good find though for anyone who is interested

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back