08 Water Leak Issue; NJ's recent terrible weather

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago the car had about an inche of water in the passenger side foot well. I cleaned it up, dried it out, it didn't spell of mildew and once everything was completely dry no issues. It has rain multiple times since.

This morning, for the second time, I found about an inch of water in the passenger side foot well, I couldn't do much about it because I had worked a double, and had to go home and sleep for another shift in 7 hours. Once I'm at work, another thunderstorm came down on NJ, and when I proceeded to check for any possible further damage, the car had several inches of water. I had a rag sitting there from this morning, it was soaked, I squeezed multiple cups worth of water out of the car.

At this point in time I'm beyond annoyed. My warranty let up February, it's unbelievable that this just happened now. I've downloaded the TSB from Ford, but because the pictures are pretty much computer drawings, it's touch to get an idea as to where the exact locations they are referring to check.

I'd appreciate any help with this. As in any advice as to where your personal clog was, because Ford has you check 10 different places, I rather start at the most common first. Any in person pictures taken of where the issue could come from would be appreciated as well. Any advice whatsoever will be appreciated because I need to try and fix this by Sunday. I'm just hoping the carpet isn't infested this mildew underneath.

The one thing I will check is the air filter, I've read that mold loves to grow on them. Whoever read the entire post, thank you. Yes, I've done research in this thread, and not much recent information has come up on this topic. I will continue to do more research, and I myself will provide information if I find any, and once everyone is cleaned and cleared to help anyone else with this shitty problem. This should be a recall considering the extent of damage that can be caused to the car.

Update: What I did notice on initial check of the floor, the first go around, is that nowhere on the side, upper, or back part of the carpet is wet. It's almost as if it's coming from underneath, which is odd. I'm going to check near the fuse box area. I've heard of the smart box's going bad. I also want to note that, so far, I do not have any electrical gremlins whatsoever.

Last edited:

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
My particular issue was the grommet was clogged with a bunch of gunk. The grommet under the cowl, near the cabin filter was the culprit. The air filter was soaked and dirty, and inches of water were still retained in that area. I think they could have easily made it bigger, or added more draining points, but whatever.

I am having an issue though. I dried 95% of the carpet underneath. It should have dried by today, and instead, tons of condensation was found underneath. The people that had water leak through the cabin filter, is there any spot to check within the cabin where water can have accumulated in a puddle? I'm afraid that some stand still water from inside, along with the humidity is causing condensation. The windows were also left cracked over the night, so it had ventilation.

I may just rip out the soft portion of carpet underneath.

firefighterhill

forum member
Reaction score
I would use a fan or some moisture absorbing chemicals. When my car leaked due to a faulty window seal I used a carpet cleaner and then a fan to get my floors dry.

Cleaning the dirt and leaves out of the cowl area is a chore EVERYONE who doesn't garage there mustang should do every time they wash there car.

Reaction score
Cheapest way to get water out is go get a shit load of rice and like a 50lb bag and put that in the car, moisture will go right to it. If need be cut the bag and place some on the semi dried up water spots.

We use this at work alot when cars get towed in with windows down here in flroida

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
I would use a fan or some moisture absorbing chemicals. When my car leaked due to a faulty window seal I used a carpet cleaner and then a fan to get my floors dry.

Cleaning the dirt and leaves out of the cowl area is a chore EVERYONE who doesn't garage there mustang should do every time they wash there car.
I don't mind that. However, before this issue, I have NEVER seen anyone post about this being an issue. In March, as the pollen fell, and all other kidns of crap, it clogged that hole, from top to bottom. It's pretty large as it is, but nothing mother nature can't overcome.

I used a hair dryer. I figured warm air was the best. I'm going to let it air dry for another day, until the next thunderstorm that will go on for 5 straight days. That will be the test.

I had to replace the cabin filter as well since it was soaked, a little dirty too.

BlackGT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm still having issues with this. Every morning I come after, after drying underneath the carpet the afternoon before, and water drops are on the floor. Both front and rear passenger side. Any idea what this could be? I fixed the area that was clogging, and nothing above the carpet is wet, just underneath.

The only thing I could conclude is humidity, although I'm not entirely sure how it could cause such dampness.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

firefighterhill

forum member
Reaction score
When you close the door do you see the window go up? Also see how easy it is to get your finger between the window and seal with the door closed, you should just barely be able to fit your pinky between the window and seal. If there is a large gap you may be able to recalibrate the windows.

The only other option is get someone to spray the car with water while you sit inside and try to locate the leak.

ModMe

Reaction score
Could be the window molding seal deteriorating. Mine was shot at 20K miles. Replaced foam strip with camper shell weatherstriping

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back