Reaction score
Any thoughts on this gentlemen?

Attachments

• tsb11-07-07.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 593

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
It looks like that was put out specifically about the #8 piston issue and the knock sensors not being at factory settings.

btw, after i took my car to the track i stopped having issues with the cold-start that i was having. also i tried pulling DTCs and none have shown up on mine.

What I find disconcerting is the piston damage from minor modifications, quite a bit of knock and the fact that tuners thought that changing those knock settings was a good idea.

RedfireV8

forum member
Reaction score
Wow...really?! That just seems really scetchy to me but I find it interesting they don't mention anything about the #8 piston specifically. Hmmm...

Last edited:

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
basically if i brought mine in for a #8 issue i think what I'd have to do is change my sig, delete any posts where I mention my mods clear trouble codes and restore to factory settings.. on the other hand I think that would be a bit shady since we know that the knock sensor is the issue here.. or so we suspect.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
There is at least one tuner our there that claims that they are not altering the factory knock sensor setting. I found a person on another forum that had #8 go with their 93 street tune.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
Makes me worry that my American Muscle 93 octane tune is going to damage my engine if they screwed around with the knock settings. Makes me want to get a Lund tune ASAP.

G.T

Reaction score
"initiate warranty cancellation process"!! fuck that!

so according to that diagram, if your battery was ever disconnected (say to get the damn thing replaced) and for one reason or another you have P1000 DTC, that's grounds for warranty cancellation without any further investigation required?!

Last edited:

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
american muscle uses Bama tunes, they sent out a notification about that already, there was a brief period where they changed those knock settings and they sent out e-mails to those people with revised tunes. You can call them and thell them when you got the tune and they will tell you if you need a revised one or not. Most tuners have done the same thing as well. Heck, im sure if you called them and you wanted to feel all warm and fuzzy they'd send you a new tune if you asked. I've heard they have good customer service so it's worth a shot before you spend $200 unncessarily on a new tune.

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I read on another forum that someone with a mail order tune from a reputable tuner decided to dyno his car on a for shitz and giggles. The AF ratio was in the 14's. I'm beginning to believe that dyno or data log tuning is the only safe way to go on the 5.0's.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
read the whole thing.

it doesnt matter who tunes it. if you hammer the motor they will know its been re-flashed at some point. and if youve done ANYTHING to alter the car from factory stock, your warranty is history. this TSB is Ford's authorization in writing to allow their technicians to tell you to go fuck yourself.

VTXFrank

Obama SUCKS!
Reaction score
read the whole thing.

it doesnt matter who tunes it. if you hammer the motor they will know its been re-flashed at some point. and if youve done ANYTHING to alter the car from factory stock, your warranty is history. this TSB is Ford's authorization in writing to allow their technicians to tell you to go fuck yourself.

Yep. I knew it was just a matter of time before this happened. That's why I'm not super charging my car until I can also forge the bottom end.

KungFuHamster

forum member
Reaction score
Yep. I knew it was just a matter of time before this happened. That's why I'm not super charging my car until I can also forge the bottom end.
its making me start to think about when the 5.0 first came out..."maxed out from the factory"

however, i truly believe that its directly related to tuning.

theres no way that these cars are running 10s/9s on stock bottom ends that are so "weak".

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
From what I've seen 93 race or street mail order tunes have been invalid with #8 failures.

Ansty

Reaction score
I am facing some problem in downloading attachment is there any solutions of this problem.

19COBRA93

Ford Racing
Reaction score
its making me start to think about when the 5.0 first came out..."maxed out from the factory"

however, i truly believe that its directly related to tuning.

theres no way that these cars are running 10s/9s on stock bottom ends that are so "weak".

My buddy's '11 made 695rwh on the stock bottom end. There's no way they're even remotely maxed out from the factory. Prolonged detonation will wipe out any piston, forged or not. As long as the tune is dialed in and there is no detonation, the 5.0 can handle a LOT of hp reliably. That's something the 3V could only dream of doing.

And yes, if you bring your 5.0 in for lean/detonation related engine problems and it has any modifications (aftermarket CAI, tune, intake, etc) your engine warranty is done. If you've got an aftermarket tune on there, you may as well install the SC of your choice, because it's all the same to Ford.

Last edited:

wazslow

forum member
Reaction score
I am facing some problem in downloading attachment is there any solutions of this problem.

Yup, there sure is. Leave your car stone stock if you are worried about it breaking! :thumb2:

Mishri

forum member
Reaction score
Yep, I'm thinking I really should data log mine as well. (i'm at a higher elevation, 3300' though so i have less compression than sea level folks). when you data log I think I read a post that said you should be in the 12.4 AF ratio range. I'd double check that before I get to worked up about it though. Yeah 14 is bad I'm shocked by that.

People really talk up the Lund tunes, and i'm sure they are really good, but I haven't seen any proof that they are better than a Bama, brenspeed, livernois or BBR tune.

KungFuHamser, they can't just void your warranty for any issue from a modification, but it does appear this piston issue is tune related and therefore yes that would void it for that issue, but not all issues.

BAKnBLK2010

Harley Davidson FLHTCI
Reaction score
My buddy's '11 made 695rwh on the stock bottom end. There's no way they're even remotely maxed out from the factory. Prolonged detonation will wipe out any piston, forged or not. As long as the tune is dialed in and there is no detonation, the 5.0 can handle a LOT of hp reliably. That's something the 3V could only dream of doing.

And yes, if you bring your 5.0 in for lean/detonation related engine problems and it has any modifications (aftermarket CAI, tune, intake, etc) your engine warranty is done.

Should a person be able to hear if the car has detonation? My car has never spark knocked that I know of. So with no audible pinging should I be OK? Thanks.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow Ford's not playing games with this

Rob72

No Japanese Mustang Here
Reaction score
I've heard terrible pinging on a few older cars and trucks. Even with extended periods of this nothing happened to those engines. No one is claiming that there are any symptoms till it's too late with #8.

wow Ford's not playing games with this

Yup. They're not going to pay the dealer 8 hours to find put what they already know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back