Two UPR K-member installs in one day.

rayS197

Reaction score
Thanks the LAllison, Hatchman and jodadejss06gt for all the help today. We did Gregs car first and then moved onto my car. Definitely a great idea to have some help installing a K-member. Pretty much a straight forward install. Jack up the car, remove both front wheels. Remove the bolts holding the motor mounts. Support the motor with a block of wood and a jack.. We placed the jack towards the rear of the vehicles so we could slide the K -members from the front. Remove the Steering line retainer. Index the steering shaft and remove the 13mm bolt. There is NO need to remove the tie rod ends from the spindles. Once you lower the stock K-member and remove all the bolts the A-arm will come out of the old K-member. While working on removing the stock K member we used a jack stand to support the K member. Loosen all the K-member bolts and lower the stock piece. This makes it easier to access the two bolts holding the steering rack in place and the bolts for the A-arms. Support the steering rack. Grease the ends of the A arm bushing prior to installing them in the UPR K member. We installed one side A-arm from the bottom and the other from the top. Top hole of the K-member. When installing the motor mount bolts/bushing install the passenger side first since the drivers side is slotted.We adjusted the height of the motor repeatedly when installing the motor mount bolts to get the holes to align.The power steering line that was bolted to the stock K member will have to be zip tied to the UPR K member. Im sure I left something out. Here are a few pics.

0195a9c1.jpg

DSCN2621.jpg

DSCN2623.jpg

DSCN2625.jpg

DSCN2624.jpg

IMG_3586.jpg

IMG_3583.jpg

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3585.jpg

Last edited:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Nice! I will be doing long tubes when I install mine.
How long did the install take? Any problems?

rayS197

Reaction score
Mike thats the best thing to do. It opens so much room under the car and especially for LT's. Only problem was the two steering rack bolts. Those bastards are in there!!!Started on Gregs around 9:30 got some lunch, Started on mine. I left his house around 4:15

Last edited:

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Good to know. Looks like a pizza party for me and a couple buddies when it's time for mine.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
After finishing Gregs, Rays took about 45 min from jackstands to K member out. Just having the extra set of hands in there helps a ton.

s8v4o

forum member
Reaction score
Did you have to make sure everything was square? I know on fox body cars people would take diagonal measurements from FR to RL and see if it measures the same as LF to RR. If it was slightly off that meant the K member was slightly cockeyed. Congrats on the install.

jodadejss06gt

TEAM DELETE SHIT
Reaction score
the rear bolts on the K-member are two bolts on each side. I can see the 2/side closer to the motor mounts possibly needing adjustment, but I'm not even sure you can adjust them with the rear sitting where they want to. I wasn't aware of needing an alignment after this install but I haven't really looked into it.

Sharad

Site Sponsor
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks Ray!!!

Nice write-up, great pics, and excellent job wrenchin'.

Once again, thank you all for choosing UPR Products. I appreciate your business, and look forward to seeing these cars hit the track.

Also, thank you JP for the group buy!

Mike K

WANNA BE FAST
Reaction score
Man that looks good. I can't wait to install mine.
Did you notice any more road noise after the install?

Greg Hazlett

Stepping on the Pink Bus
Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I can't answer that one as my car is pretty happy on the jacks, LOL...

rayS197

Reaction score
Man that looks good. I can't wait to install mine.
Did you notice any more road noise after the install?

No sir I didnt but then again Im not one who is very critical on things like this and my hearing isnt the best. LOL!! Even with my skinnies up front I did not notice any difference driving around over this weekend. Coming from stock motor mounts to the ones provided you definitely feel the car and no more motor torque. Mike, did yours come in yet???

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back