Stuck between 4r70W or a TR6060, got 2 cents….?

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
I currently have a Performace Automatic built 5r55s in my car, and its very good and holds up well, 20+ passes on it and about 6K+ miles on it I have had no issues but I know I want to push the power level up in my car and don’t want to do it through a 5r55s. Right now I have 442 rwhp and run 11.6s in the quarter with the stock converter, soon my want the car up around 600+ HP and running 10s in the quarter…but fun and easy to drive on the street.

So I have been looking at both a built 4r70w and TR6060, Im leaning more to the 4r70w.

From what I can tell there is much much more to do and buy with a 4r70w swap then a tr6060 swap. But finding a good list of exactly what is needed for either one has been hard, I have mostly just been piecing forums threads together to get an idea of everything involved.

The 4r70w I know needs an electronic controller (no sorry I don’t want to do a full manual valve body) I have been looking at the optishift and it seems to be the best out there, has anyone installed one of the these? Either way with this unit I would still need to I would still need to go to a manual ECU.

The 4r70w would be great for runs at the track with a 3000 stall in it but the 6060 would be more fun on the road, I know all you guys know that there is an undeniable difference in the feel of how well a manual transfers the power to the wheels then an auto.

If you have 2 cents you want to throw in im all about hearing what you guys think.

One major questions I have for the guys who have done a swap to either of these is, what swap is cheaper and easier to do?

-Tango Mike!

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
dont have any personal experience but from what ive read in other threads the 6060 seems like a much easier/ cheaper swap but i guess it depends what you have done to the 4r. I was planning on going 4r with my car but picked up a deal on a th400 from someone on here.

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
If your more worried about consistency at the track go auto. Manual will still run well at the track provided you can shift and be much more fun on the street. Last car I swapped to an auto became no fun to drive after the new wore off. I sold it. You have been driving an auto and been happy with it so get opinions on how this auto differs from the stock unit from guys who have made the swap and go from there! My .02 lol

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
for the track - auto all the way

for a street car, for me, 6spdM all the way

dysan

Dis-Member
Reaction score
Don't know why you don't want the manual valve body...I just swapped from the 3650 to a lentech 4r70w manual valve body and trans brake and love it. I actually prefer it on the street compared to my 3650. Lockup converter and over drive and the overdrive is nearly the same ratio as 5th was in my 3650.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
I dont want a Full manual valve body only because, for resale, it would be hard to explain to someone that its a automatic that you have to shift. not that im looking to sell but im always looking at stuff to get, and if a good deal comes around or someone is willing to be just buy it by chance at the right price then I think full valve could confuse and kill a sale.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
I dont want a Full manual valve body only because, for resale, it would be hard to explain to someone that its a automatic that you have to shift. not that im looking to sell but im always looking at stuff to get, and if a good deal comes around or someone is willing to be just buy it by chance at the right price then I think full valve could confuse and kill a sale.

id think anyone in the market for a built transmission is going to understand the concept of being full manual valve body. Just depends then if thats what they want..

Brezick

Yinzer
Reaction score
4R...I am keeping mine auto. I have a nice fox body 5 speed to play around on the street with.

tjm73

of Omicron Persei 8
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
A properly set up 4R70W will rock your universe. Properly set up automatics beat manuals IMO. From the factory...... not so much.

Airborne2000

forum member
Reaction score
^ yeah man, I know you do. Matt06, sorry i should clairify, selling the entire car not just the trans, if someone doesnt know much about this stuff or Im trying to trade it in for something then it may be very confusing to the buyer/dealer.

TexasKyle

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
In my mind, when I started modding my car(s) I gave up on the idea of being able to trade it in like a "normal" car. If I were to ever sell either one, it would have to be to someone that knows what they are looking for/talking about.

Any chance you know someone with a manual VB 4R? I never would have thought it was as fun to drive as it is, until I actually bought a car with one in it. My other, and first, Mustang is an Auto and I started missing the gear banging fun of a manual. The 4R satisfied that for me. 4R with a transbrake = huge fun on launches.

Short of it is, don't write off the manual valve bodied 4R until you have driven one. You might change your mind.

zuritausmc

I love Red Bull
Reaction score
In my mind, when I started modding my car(s) I gave up on the idea of being able to trade it in like a "normal" car. If I were to ever sell either one, it would have to be to someone that knows what they are looking for/talking about.

Any chance you know someone with a manual VB 4R? I never would have thought it was as fun to drive as it is, until I actually bought a car with one in it. My other, and first, Mustang is an Auto and I started missing the gear banging fun of a manual. The 4R satisfied that for me. 4R with a transbrake = huge fun on launches.

Short of it is, don't write off the manual valve bodied 4R until you have driven one. You might change your mind.

I feel the same way you do. In my opinion, if you were selling the car with the blower and everything the buyer will most likely be able to understand the concept if they understand everything else thats been done to the car. My 4r is def pretty sweet and ditto on the transbrake lol

KITT

Sell it!
Reaction score
I had a MVB in a C-4 in my 93 Fox. I liked it better than a standard valve body. It feels like changing gears just without the clutch. Properly set up auto/conv will beat the stick cars all day at the track.

MSgt46270

Reaction score
You should also give Adam with ST Motor Sports call (site vendor). He installed a 4R70W into my car 11/19/10 and so far no issues with it. With all the problems I had with my 5R55, I worry that this will break one day. Adam told me I don't make enough HP to break it, but if I get stupid with it I will/can.

Mine is set up as a auto with the option for track racing (manual). One I get the belt (fan belt) replaced today I'll make a video if I get time.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back