2011+ 5.0 FRPP 2.3l questions

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
I might be trading in my car for a 2012 auto this Friday. Does anyone know off the top of their heads what parts would need to be to be added or removed from the the manual kit im piecing together to make it an auto kit??

-Nick

chuck@evoperform

Boss surgeon
Official Vendor
Reaction score
Really just need a check valve for the brake booster. Other than that the 6MT kit will work. Just need to finagle the tranny cooler lines a little.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
Can anyone knowledgeable about tuning fill me in on what different intakes I can use on this kit? Here is what I know I can use:

- JLT 127mm Big air kit for the 10'-12' GT500- $469.00 +Shipping
- JLT 123mm Twin Screw CAI kit for the 11'-12' 5.0 GT- $350.00 Plus Shipping
- Factory CAI from the 10'-12' GT500(unknown MAF housing diameter) Find them for about $175 Plus Shipping.

My question is: Will all three of these intakes cause any tuning issues or would some tuners prefer to tune my car with one of these more than the other?

Im on a budget and I know the stock GT500 CAI flows pretty good up to 15lbs which is more than enough for what I will be running(9-10lbs). Only downside is it looks fugly IMHO.

-Nick

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Get the JLT Big Air.

It looks great and works wonderfully!

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That should be your first decision honestly.

Decide, and ask them if they have a preferred setup.

Other than that, finding what's "easiest" to tune for shouldn't be on your plan sheet. Don't worry about that, if your tuner doesn't like tuning for the Big Air intake, they'll tell you.

Follow similar builds to see what has worked.

I love my setup. 2.9L Whipple w/ 3.75" pulley. Lund tune. FRPP throttle body, JLT big air, 49lbs injectors.

More than you'd ever need for just a street application. Trust me!

4 months later, I'm still not used to the power and craving more yet! Still trying to tame it!

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
That should be your first decision honestly.

Decide, and ask them if they have a preferred setup.

Other than that, finding what's "easiest" to tune for shouldn't be on your plan sheet. Don't worry about that, if your tuner doesn't like tuning for the Big Air intake, they'll tell you.

Follow similar builds to see what has worked.

I love my setup. 2.9L Whipple w/ 3.75" pulley. Lund tune. FRPP throttle body, JLT big air, 49lbs injectors.

More than you'd ever need for just a street application. Trust me!

4 months later, I'm still not used to the power and craving more yet! Still trying to tame it!

Thanks for the advice S197GT.

I agree that the first thing I should have decided on was who was going to tune it also. I have been extremely busy sourcing the rest of the parts lately and the tuning aspect was put on the back burner accidently.

The only parts I have remaining for the kit are:

- FEED Bracket assemblys with idlers
- Wiring extensions/harnesses
- Fuel rail (Metco Motorsports)
- CAI (JLT's 11-12 GT Twin Screw CAI)
- H/E Reservoir (True forged or VMP 3X capacity)
- Fuel injector retaining clips
- PCV lines/fittings
- Tune (BBR)

Some questions I have for the above parts:

- (FRPP injector retaining clips) Is there something special about the fuel injector retaing clips or will the ones from my factory injectors/fuel rail work the Metco fuel rails that I will be using instead of the FRPP high flow fuel rails??

-(FRPP wiring extensions/harnesses) They cost about $350 dollars. $350 bucks for some wiring is rediculous. Would there be any ill effects if I were to extend the harnesses myself by splicing 14ga wire and a clean soldering job with shrink tubing??

- (Passenger PCV lines and fittings) I plan on re-using the factory Ford quick connect fittings from my current passenger side PCV lines along with some 5/8" PCV/Fuel line and a 5/8" T-fitting. From the install manual it looks like the hose that runs from the bottom rear of the lower/upper manifold to the passenger PCV lines has either a coupler or a check valve. It would make more sense for it to be a check valve since one wouldn't want positive pressure entering the crankcase. S197GT can you confirm this? Any issues with doing this besides it wont look nearly as clean as the FRPP plastic hoses??

Sorry for the long post but if some of these questions could be answered, it could end up saving me a lot of dough.

-Nick

Last edited:

jayman33

Official Vendor
Reaction score
Talk to VMP about the wiring harness, I think they have a kit for about 150 that is already set up, haven't looked into that in detail. I used the stock fuel injector clips. I would go to the ford dealer and get the pcv lines (a dealer that sells FRPP), I don't think they are expensive, I had to get a new Throttle purge valve and it was only 15 bucks. The passenger side as well but I'm sure that will cost a little more. Call Whipple, I'm sure they have extra parts sitting around and again, it shouldn't be too expensive. If I'm not mistaking the Kenne Bell kit just uses fuel hoses? Wouldn't look as nice but I'm sure it would work.

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The passenger side PCV line comes installed on the lower manifold IIRC.

I'm sure you could rig something up.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
The passenger side PCV line comes installed on the lower manifold IIRC.

I'm sure you could rig something up.

I purchased a couple feet of 3/8" fuel hose and 5/8" heater hose and a Dorman air check valve. I also test fit the oem PCV connectors in the 5/8" line and they fit pretty snug. Should go together nicely. Wont look as slick as the pieces from the FRPP kit but I dont think it will look awful either.

Thanks for the PM S197GT.

-Nick

worrgp

Reaction score
If you wana to save some cash I've got the intake that comes stock with the roush kit and goes
over you factory airbox

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
If you wana to save some cash I've got the intake that comes stock with the roush kit and goes
over you factory airbox

I already have a JLT Big Air CAI on the way. Thanks for the offer though.

it can... but you'll have a bunch of lights on on the dash instead of just the TC light on the 04's. it's real annoying to look at all the light lit up on the dash.

What the hell are you talking about? lol.

slvr08gt

forum member
Reaction score
That was a great deal on the Whipple! The Roush upper/lower is pretty pricey though. Thanks for posting the parts/price list.

Good thread, I'll be curious to see what other issues you run into trying to replicate the kit. Good luck!

I ran in to my first bump in the road from piecing this kit together.

I chose to upgrade the fuel rails for this kit since FRPP/Roush wanted $700+ for their supposedly "high flow fuel rails". Metco's high flow fuel rails were about $400 dollars cheaper, so it was a easy choice for me.

Before buying them, I spoke with Rick at Metco Motorsports to ask if their fuel rail kit for the 2011+ 5.0's would fit without issues for the 2.3l whipple lower/upper manifold. He said that he didn't see a reason why not. I felt confident from the information gave me about their product so I pulled the trigger.

I received the Metco Motorsports fuel rails yesterday. I wanted to test fit them on to the lower manifold with the injectors just to make sure everything fit the way it is supposed to. This is how they looked when the injectors are fully seated in the rails and the lower manifold injector ports:

i19ml0.jpg

The rails when seated properly angled outwards and just didnt sit the right way. After confirming both sides were this way. I thought maybe I could modify the brackets that connects the rails to the manifold. That wasn't going to happen with the tools I have available in my garage, the brackets were too thick for the angles of the brackets I had to change.

I thought a little more of a way to secure them. An hour later I made different brackets out of some extra 1/8" aluminum material:

2aep9ja.jpg

I made them so they fit nice and snug in the rails and injecter ports/valleys and so they are also standing perpindicular to the manifold. After I mocked them up with the new brackets I shot them with 3 coats of flat black spray to give the rails some contrast. Final product was:

m9c550.jpg

2w4gxer.jpg

Overall im pretty happy with the outcome. This post is in NO WAY a knock against Metco Motorports. All in all the quality of the rails is second to none and exceeded my expectations. I at my own account chose not to call Metco about the rails not fitting my application. I kind of figured that they would either tell me I could return the rails or modify the brackets like I did.

The only other issue with the rails fitting the 2.3l Whipple is the passenger side 90 degree elbow elbow for the cross over line is pretty snug against the head unit. Its ok in my opinion but I will be adding a 1/2 NPT to -8AN coupler to extend it out another inch away from the head unit itself.

Sorry for the long post. I just want other people that may consider piecing together a twin screw kit to know everything that is involved.

-Nick

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back