Turned it up a little. E85 with 3.33 pulley 563/465

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
From the "Can't leave well enough alone" department I have results of a smaller pulley. For some reason indicated boost was the same as a 3.6 pulley but numbers were higher.

The background: 11:1 pistons +.030, 127400 cams with comp springs, shorty headers, factory cats, Paxton Novi with ebay special air to air intercooler, 80 lb injectors, GT500 pumps.

Spark was 23 degrees. Targeted lambda was .8 from 3k on. Maf xfer was adjusted to get it close but I'll have to do some review on rescaling the xfer or what it takes to smooth it out. I'd like to get the af reading as flat as possible. Air fuel was taken with a sniffer. This is my first "all me" tune without tweaking from the TMS in house tuner.

2-3-12DynoE85022.jpg

Steedman07

Classified's Moderator:)
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Nice man...So if boost was the same, E85 with the extra timing or a leaner A/F is the reason its making more power?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Nice man...So if boost was the same, E85 with the extra timing or a leaner A/F is the reason its making more power?

I think the reading was off. There had to be more boost going from 3.6 to 3.33.

I think the leaner af helped. I also played with vct some. These cams did best with 10 degrees of retard. Last year when I had a different motor, whipple, and 127300 cams 18 degrees of retard resulted in the best numbers.

Since the tuner was gone there weren't any tuning sessions scheduled. That meant once the af was close I got to try out different vct and timing in the tune without time constraints.

I'm real happy with where it is right now. The tracks open in a few months and I'll get to work on my (lack of) drag racing skills.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
when does the bigger blower go on????? :lol:

nice Bruce

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
when does the bigger blower go on????? :lol:

nice Bruce

I have to stop here. This motor was built with na in mind. The pistons are Mahle 4032 and the ring gaps were set for an na motor too. From what I understand E85 will let me get away with it.

I've collected almost all the parts needed for another build if required. 3L block, .020 over Diamond 2618 pistons, even a set of stock heads and blower cams along with timing components and I have two left over cranks.

GerRod

forum member
Reaction score
I have to stop here. This motor was built with na in mind. The pistons are Mahle 4032 and the ring gaps were set for an na motor too. From what I understand E85 will let me get away with it.

I've collected almost all the parts needed for another build if required. 3L block, .020 over Diamond 2618 pistons, even a set of stock heads and blower cams along with timing components and I have two left over cranks.

Don't the Ford Racing Aluminator engines run these pistons? I was planning to get the 9.8:1 one. Also, what are you revving to?

BruceH

BBB Big Bore Boss 322
Reaction score
Don't the Ford Racing Aluminator engines run these pistons? I was planning to get the 9.8:1 one. Also, what are you revving to?

It does. The Terminator and GT500's use Mahle 4032 pistons too. They have a rep of breaking the top ringland during detonation. Avoid any detonation and they should be good. I chose them because the piston to bore clearence can be set tighter as they expand less than 2618. This means quieter start up.

With all that said this is as high as I will push the motor. Besides the less forgiving piston material I also have piston to bore clearence for an na motor of .0015 (gasp!) and the bore is .030 over which is the max the 4.6 can go.

In a nutshell my shortblock is just not meant for boost. Maybe it will hold together and maybe I'll be a warning for someone else. Getting it on the track is where any problems will show up.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back