JPC Carbon Fiber Decklid install

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Ok some of you drag racers that want to get rid of 30lbs might be interested in this. I will say right now, in my opinion, this is not a mod for a daily driver. I would do this for a weekend warrior or race car only (my opinion).

As this decklid is carbon fiber, its extremely light, thin, but strong. I decided to mount it using Dzus fasteners. 1st step is to build the Dzus fasteners. I first riveted the springs underneath the mounting pad like this:

Dzusfastener1.jpg

Now, as you can see--the rivet sticks out on the other side, which needs to be flat, so I just grinded down the rivet until smooth:

DzusFasteners2.jpg

Once I had those made, I decided to position them on the car. I did NOT rivet the L brackets for the dzus fasteners to the car. I used sheet metal screws. Why? Because the sheet metal screw was smaller in diameter then the holes in the L bracket. What this allowed me to do was make small changes in the bracket height until I got the deck lid height exactly matching the 1/4 panel. I had to do this by making several test fits until I was happy with the result.

Dzusfasteners4.jpg

Dzusfasteners3.jpg

Once I had the brackets in place and I liked the height, I then had to install the top portion of the dzus fastener. I first started with only an 1/8th inch pilot hole at each location. That way, if I was off a little, I could still have the hole end up in the correct spot by making corrections. The holes ended up being a little larger the 1/2 inch. Actually I only had to adjust one hole. Once I positioned the decklid how I wanted it, the center of the mounting hole was exactly 1 inch from the mounting flange, so it was easy to measure and drill the hole where it needed to be.

Dzusfasteners6.jpg

^^^^So after a few test fits this is how I ended up---but notice there is a little unevenness. That is because the dzus fasteners were really tight. I used a pair of pliers to compress the gold spring in picture #1, and by decreasing the height just a little, the dzus fastener did not compress the decklid so hard and that corrected the deformation it was causing by being too tight.

Here it is installed with the skinny kid race car wing. The decklid itself is nice and even along the window, the seams along the 1/4 panels are good, and it also matches the seam along the wing (where the wing meets the top of the decklid--there is a 3/16 gap that stays even all along the decklid). The alignment with the decklid along the bumper could be better though.

CarbonFiberDecklidseams2.jpg

CarbonFiberDecklidseams.jpg

CarbonFiberdecklidrearview.jpg

All and all a good piece and it looks good for the drag strip---all though any of you show car guys out there would need to stick to a Trufiber or other high end piece. But it should be mentioned this was not an $800 piece, this was $299. And for me, in addition to dropping 30lbs, by being able to remove the decklid all together will make it easier for me to add fuel, change batteries, or do any other work in the back of the car. Oh, and I no longer have to worry about locking the keys accidentally in the trunk haha!

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
looks good, i saw this the other day on jpc's site and also thought the price was decent, im assuming it didnt come with any mounts at all?

OhhFiveGt

forum member
Reaction score
I planned on doing this soon as well it looks great on your car.

My car is a daily but I don't use trunk anyway it's just my battery and a sub back there right now.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Instead of sheet metal screw you should consider this
http://www.tooltopia.com/marson-39303.aspx

That looks like a rivet to me. Is it? I purposely did not use a rivet because it took a few attempts until the height was exactly right. If it riveted it, every time I wanted to make an adjustment I would have to drill out the rivet and try again.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
not to get off topic but the wing looks awesome, from the mounts though it looks like alot of work to open the trunk?

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Its 6 Dzus fasteners and 2 quick release pins to REMOVE the trunk and wing in one piece. It takes about 30 seconds to remove. But--like I mentioned in the first post--I wouldn't do this if it was a daily driver.

If you notice, I also have the exterior charging lugs at the bottom, passenger side. So I only need to take of the decklid if I am adding fuel, or if I need to switch out batteries for some reason. I don't need to touch anything to charge the battery as the charging lugs are accessible from the outside.

matt06

forum member
Reaction score
wow that works well, hadnt thought of it all lifting off together, im not familiar with the dzus fasteners. my cars no at all a dd, just planning to put a ice tank in the trunk so itll need to be somewhat easy to get to

white05gt

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That looks like a rivet to me. Is it? I purposely did not use a rivet because it took a few attempts until the height was exactly right. If it riveted it, every time I wanted to make an adjustment I would have to drill out the rivet and try again.

It's a threadsetter. It is inserted basically the same as a rivet but has threads so you can use a bolt. You can get them in standard or metric threads.

Here is a better video

Last edited:

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
wow that works well, hadnt thought of it all lifting off together, im not familiar with the dzus fasteners. my cars no at all a dd, just planning to put a ice tank in the trunk so itll need to be somewhat easy to get to

They are pretty cool. You take a screw driver or something similar and you turn it 1/2 turn and it releases and pops up. Do that 6 times and I can remove the entire decklid.

It's a threadsetter. It is inserted basically the same as a rivet but has threads so you can use a bolt. You can get them in standard or metric threads.

Ah, I got ya.

luv2cheat

forum member
Reaction score
Is the carbon fiber trunk very rigid? Any pics of the bottom side? It lines up real nice. Looks great!

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Fasteners

Since fasteners are kinda on topic...have any of you guys used quick latch?

The small ones look like they would work for a trunk install. I am going to use the big brother on my hood.

Your car must be a hoot going down the strip!

miniquicklatch.jpg

Ch4r1ie

The Limey Bastard
Reaction score
Since fasteners are kinda on topic...have any of you guys used quick latch?

The small ones look like they would work for a trunk install. I am going to use the big brother on my hood.

Your car must be a hoot going down the strip!

miniquicklatch.jpg

Personally, I wouldn't use those on my hood, as there would be very little indication that they were not secured/closed properly until it was too late.

That's why I like and use AeroCatch's, they are low profile and you can see easily if they have not been closed properly, as the latch will not be flush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

weather man

Persistance Is A Bitch
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
LOL...the box is sitting on my tool bench....when I get home I'll pop them out and take some pic's. I don't have the hood they are going on yet.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back