Fiberglass hood paint

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I had my cervini fiberglass hood painted last spring and it already has some spidering and cracking in the paint. It is parked outside in Colorado so it sees anywhere from -30 to 90 degrees so I suspect it is from the expansion and contraction of the material. Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent this?

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
I had my cervini fiberglass hood painted last spring and it already has some spidering and cracking in the paint. It is parked outside in Colorado so it sees anywhere from -30 to 90 degrees so I suspect it is from the expansion and contraction of the material. Does anyone have any ideas of how to prevent this?

Not trying to be a smart ass but, with those extreme temperatures, I think your best bet is to park indoors. Fiberglass isn't exactly the best stuff to paint over to begin with.

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
I am not able to park it indoors (military base) and the hood came unpainted...

ChrisDR

Reaction score
Using flex additive like you would for painting urethane? It won't help with the expansion and contraction of the fiberglass but maybe it will make the paint less brittle and thus less likely to crack.

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
when did your hood start spidering? I never even noticed last time I saw it. They're right though, fiberglass just kinda does that. Maybe time for some sexy carbon fiber? haha

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
dave, it started spidering within a couple months and the cracking started once the temps dropped. Anyone know where I can pick up an aluminum aftermarket hood that doesnt look stock or like a gt500?

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
dave, it started spidering within a couple months and the cracking started once the temps dropped. Anyone know where I can pick up an aluminum aftermarket hood that doesnt look stock or like a gt500?

To my knowledge, the only aluminum hoods for the S197's are the Foose stamped hoods, and they're not cheap. Why not get a good urethane hood instead?

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
To my knowledge, the only aluminum hoods for the S197's are the Foose stamped hoods, and they're not cheap. Why not get a good urethane hood instead?

you have any recommended dealers? im just looking for something that isnt fiberglass at this point and that is all that most of the major sites carry

Chiron

forum member
Reaction score
you have any recommended dealers? im just looking for something that isnt fiberglass at this point and that is all that most of the major sites carry

I didn't realize the majority were fiberglass. I'll look around some, maybe someone else can chime in. Carbon fiber is always an option, if you're into that.

RedDragon777

forum member
Reaction score
You are not going to find anything besides high priced CF like the ones Tiger Racing makes or the Foose/Saleen PJ Aluminum hoods. Almost everything is fiberglass, your best bet is to get a hood from a good company like Cervinis.

EDIT: just noticed you have a Cervinis hood. Did you bake it before you painted it or did your painter just take it out of the box and paint it? Also he might not have added the right additive to the paint.

Last edited:

Sinner

forum member
Reaction score
I hate Dallas mustang but a few months ago they had the foose hood on sale for around 450.00.

I have the kaneen cowl hood for 2 years and the paint is still perfect.

arabbit

12 inch member
Reaction score
well...theyre expensive but i LOVE my VIS carbon fiber hood, they are worth it. I dont know any aluminum ones, and the GT500 wont fit unless you do the whole conversion

HellsBells

620/677
Reaction score
well...theyre expensive but i LOVE my VIS carbon fiber hood, they are worth it. I dont know any aluminum ones, and the GT500 wont fit unless you do the whole conversion

VIS and Seibon probably have the highest quality cf hoods on the market, speaking from experience.

Scuba-Matt

Boost freak
Reaction score
It's not the fiberglass as much as its the prep for fiberglass. The hood should have been baked @ 250 degrees for 2-4 hours to finish the cure. A high quaility fiberglass bonding primer then base coat with flex additive and same for the clear coat.
Carbon fiber is the same process. A carbon fiber hood is carbon fiber bound by polyester resin the same product that's used in making a fiberglass hood.

Last edited:

Nitemare

forum member
Reaction score
I have a fiberglass hood also and had a similiar problem. I used something called BULLDOG. U can buy it at any auto paint store. It comes in an aerosol can and is to used on the hood before u paint it. It help make the paint flexible

NotQuik

I can't drive
Reaction score

Take it back to the shop that painted it for you....see what their take on it is. I'm sure if it's common with fiberglass they will tell you as i'm sure it isn't their rodeo...

ksack

forum member
Reaction score
Take it back to the shop that painted it for you....see what their take on it is. I'm sure if it's common with fiberglass they will tell you as i'm sure it isn't their rodeo...

Wish I could. The shop is in California and I'm currently in CO

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back