first track day advice?

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
ok so i have been talked into my first track day by my brother and looking for any advice as far as small necessary upgrades and so on. i have till the second week of Oct to get things together so plenty of time.
so far i have committed to new break pads, steal braided lines and new fluid, car needs new summer tires so i figured this would be a good time to go ahead and get a set that would make a good track day, summer tire so any recommendations would be appreciated

suspension set up so on the car right now is steeda sport springs, upper and lower control arms out back BMR control arm relocation brackets are in the mail right now.

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
Since you are supercharged, make sure you can easily monitor your temps. It's not too hard to overheat these cars on stock-ish engines and the dinky stock radiator. Add a supercharger to that and you will run into heat issues pretty easily if pushed hard. You'll probably be fine your first time out, depending on the track, but just keep an eye on your temp gauges when you have a breather moment (straight). An upgraded radiator would be best in the long run, make sure you are running the diffuser cover under the nose. Oh, and your meth kit may be illegal on the track, so check into that.

When you put on the new brake pieces, make sure you remove the dust shields around the rotors front and rear. Even without brake ducting, this will help cool them better.

As far as tires, I'd recommend something fairly cheap, because they are going to take a beating, even as a novice. I started on Sumitomo HTRZ III's and they were great until about my 3rd weekend, when I could easily over drive them on the well prepared track car I started out on (97 Cobra). But they were cheap, and after three weekends had about half their life left, and were easy to sell on Craigslist, so I could move on to real track tires. Not sure what size wheel you're running, but a 'square' or same sized front and rear, tire setup would be best for the track.

Like jayel said, Water, Sunscreen, snacks, an Open mind and ears, are all you need to have the most fun legally allowed in America.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
Since you are supercharged, make sure you can easily monitor your temps. It's not too hard to overheat these cars on stock-ish engines and the dinky stock radiator. Add a supercharger to that and you will run into heat issues pretty easily if pushed hard. You'll probably be fine your first time out, depending on the track, but just keep an eye on your temp gauges when you have a breather moment (straight). An upgraded radiator would be best in the long run, make sure you are running the diffuser cover under the nose. Oh, and your meth kit may be illegal on the track, so check into that.

When you put on the new brake pieces, make sure you remove the dust shields around the rotors front and rear. Even without brake ducting, this will help cool them better.

As far as tires, I'd recommend something fairly cheap, because they are going to take a beating, even as a novice. I started on Sumitomo HTRZ III's and they were great until about my 3rd weekend, when I could easily over drive them on the well prepared track car I started out on (97 Cobra). But they were cheap, and after three weekends had about half their life left, and were easy to sell on Craigslist, so I could move on to real track tires. Not sure what size wheel you're running, but a 'square' or same sized front and rear, tire setup would be best for the track.

Like jayel said, Water, Sunscreen, snacks, an Open mind and ears, are all you need to have the most fun legally allowed in America.

i have sumitomo hrtz II on the car right now with 275 40 18 on all 4 corners, i was thinking of getting something a little better than what i have now actually looking at goodyear eagle F1 supercar or maybe Dunlop Direzza sport z1 star spec's. really looking for something a little softer than the Sumitomos

o and the track will be Putnam Park in Indiana

LS1EATINPONY

The Banker
Reaction score
this is my advice

tumblr_ll9oqqsshw1qjelo4o1_500.jpg

jymontoya

forum member
Reaction score
i have sumitomo hrtz II on the car right now with 275 40 18 on all 4 corners, i was thinking of getting something a little better than what i have now actually looking at goodyear eagle F1 supercar or maybe Dunlop Direzza sport z1 star spec's. really looking for something a little softer than the Sumitomos

The Sumitomo HRTZ 3's are WORLDS better than the 2's. Do not think for a second that there wouldn't be a huge upgrade there. @ $169 on TireRack, it's hard to find such a great value that is entry level trackable.

If you have 9.5" or wider wheels, the Goodyear F1's in 285/40/18 are on clearance for $149 ea, minus an $80 rebate on the set, and you've got great DRY entry level track tires. If it gets wet though, be careful.

B-Stone RE11's are a great choice, but @ $314 ea, its hard to justify at your level of experience, unless you just have the money to burn.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
I love Putnam. Go there quite a bit during the week. Good fast coarse. Is 10 10th's there this weekend?

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
I love Putnam. Go there quite a bit during the week. Good fast coarse. Is 10 10th's there this weekend?
i have no idea if they are there, i dont even know what group im going with my brother has been going up there all summer and i just agreed to go up with him in Oct.

Nicu7

forum member
Reaction score
Lol have fun! Looks like its probably 1010th's there are some pretty cool guys there. Should be some awesome cars too

Last edited:

kevinatfms

EX-ford tech(6 years)
Reaction score
i would say just get track time for now. replace things that are worn like the pads and fluid and just get out on track and learn.

maybe grab a CG lock if you have OEM seats, your thighs are gonna be killing you after :)

forum member
Reaction score
If you have 9.5" or wider wheels, the Goodyear F1's in 285/40/18 are on clearance for $149 ea, minus an $80 rebate on the set, and you've got great DRY entry level track tires. If it gets wet though, be careful.

B-Stone RE11's are a great choice, but @ $314 ea, its hard to justify at your level of experience, unless you just have the money to burn.
Are these tire rack prices? $149 for Goodyear F1s are really good!

SoundGuyDave

This Space For Rent
Reaction score
First track day, eh? VERY cool! Yes, there are a few things to do to the car before going out, but it's not all that intensive in terms of hardware...

1) General PM: Oil change before the event to make sure the engine is fresh. Check your coolant levels and condition for both the main cooling loop and the intercooler. Trans and diff levels less critical, but worth checking just to make sure. Give the car a solid once-over to make sure everything is tight and solid, then just leave it alone. Oh, and before you go, take EVERYTHING out of the car that doesn't need to be there. Floor mats, radar detector, golf clubs, etc. If it's not nailed down, and you don't need it that weekend, leave it at home.
2) BRAKES. At an absolute minimum, make sure you have a fresh set of stock pads, and FLUSH the fluid completely with new DOT 3. If you think you're going to be hooked on this road course thing, then get a full set of rotors and some track pads (PBR calipers up front: Hawk HT-10 front and HP+ rear, Brembos: HT-10 all around), and flush with a good racing fluid like Motul RBF600 or ATE. Don't worry about braided lines right now. They won't hurt, but use the money instead for more events!
3) Tires. Since you need new rubber anyway, I would take a hard look at Dunlop Direzza Star Specs, in 275/35-18, which will work with the 18x9 wheels. Great dry grip, decent treadlife, predictable, and fantastic in the wet. For pressures, think in terms of 35-38PSI cold to start.

DRIVER MODS: Pre-event, start studying the track layout, memorizing as much as you can, with a bare minimum of knowing the corner numbers and which way they go. Study youtube videos and pay particular attention to where on the track they're driving. It really doesn't matter if it's from a Miata or a Corvette, in gross terms the line is the same. Start looking for landmarks (not cones!) to identify where they initiated turn-in, where they got to the inside edge of the corner, and where they wound up coming out of the corner. This will define "The Line." If you walk in with a rough idea of what "The Line" is, you will be light-years ahead of the other newbies! THIS ONE is a good example of what a more experienced driver can do with a bone-stock NA Mustang...
DRIVER MOD: At the track. First, leave your ego in he hotel room. Seriously. Your instructor will want to work with you on your line, tweaking it in for your particular chassis setup, and focus on hitting it consistently. EVERYTHING ELSE builds off that! Focus on this as a goal first, and the speed will come as a result, so just back off a touch early on your first day. It's much easier to learn the line correctly when you're driving at 80% of your ability rather than a variable 95%-105%. Once you learn the line, you WILL start going faster, even if you don't change your driving style! PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR INSTRUCTOR! He (or she) knows what they're talking about, and if you want to go fast, do what they tell you to do, even if it seems counter-intuitive at first. The best students start slow, hit their marks consistently, and then start building speed, and building, and building, and building... The "fast guys" at the beginning of the day suddenly start getting passed by the "slow guys" as a result. FOCUS ON SMOOTH CONTROL INPUTS. There is no place on a road course where you need to "snap" the wheel over, "mash" the gas, or "slam" on the brakes. Yes, you will wind up doing those things rapidly, but you will NOT want to do them abruptly. Take steering as an example... Assuming you need to turn the wheel 90* (like you will for T7), you can either snap the thing over abruptly, or turn it over smoothly and evenly over a roughly 1/4-1/3 second period of time. If you yank the wheel over, you can induce understeer (tires don't take a set, and the car doesn't turn) which will cause you to miss apex AND scrub off a bunch of speed, AND chew up the outside edges of the front tires. If you feed it in smoothly, the car just turns... Same thing with the gas pedal and the brake pedal. Smooth on AND off will have the car behaving nicely; abrupt inputs will have the car dancing like a tutu-wearing hippo. This truly is a case of "slow down to go fast." Oh, and the last thing to focus on is "in slow, out fast." It's a lot of fun screaming into the braking zone, hitting the hooks at the last instant, waiting for the car to settle through the corner, and then pounding out with the tires screaming and the rear end stepping out. It's just not fast, though. If you slow down a little more at entry, it will let you get on the gas sooner, and your exit speed will be higher. If you watch (or can get a ride with) the advanced drivers, you'll see that each corner is a "no drama" event, and they're a LOT faster than the hoons putting up a smoke show in every corner.

In the end, though, go out there, listen to your instructor (have I mentioned that one?), and just have fun. That is, after all, what it's all about.

forum member
Reaction score
If you slow down a little more at entry, it will let you get on the gas sooner, and your exit speed will be higher. If you watch (or can get a ride with) the advanced drivers, you'll see that each corner is a "no drama" event, and they're a LOT faster than the hoons putting up a smoke show in every corner.

In the end, though, go out there, listen to your instructor (have I mentioned that one?), and just have fun. That is, after all, what it's all about.
This is all great advice. I'd like to point out though, when you're driving at the limits, this slow in fast out method takes some finesse. If you get on the gas too soon, you're at risk of snap oversteer. It happened to me coming out of a turn when I was running on a 1/8th mile oval track.
Granted, oval tracks and road courses are not equal, and I know my lack of experience contributed to this, but spinning out always a possibility when you're pedaling a rwd car with some level of torque.

08stang

forum member
Reaction score
thanks for the video advice i would have never thought of this, i will most definatly be doing my homework on this, like i said before my brother has talked me into going up for the weekend and needless to say we are competitive when it comes to our cars, he often compares my mustang to a sledgehammer and his wrx to a surgical knife lol i hope i can prove to be a little less of the sledgehammer type

Whiskey11

SCCA Autoscrosser #23 STU
Reaction score

Not that my opinion counts for much, but I LOVE my Star Specs in both daily driving and in autocross. Lots of grip in the rain and dry and an absolute dream at the limit. They are what I would call "vocal" tires and communicate very well when they are getting close to the limit. They develope a growl right before tire screeching so you know when you are close to the limit and when you reach it and when you exceed it. They also come back from the limit very quickly.

Granted, no track experience, just chasing cones on an airplane parking lot so nothing highspeed or continuously hot. For AX my tire pressures warm are low compared to other competitors, but following the scuffing on the sidewall they seem to be about right where I have them. No idea where they would be for a road course but for autocross I am at 31F/32R "warm" so not hot right after a run but not cold either. I have heard great things about them on the track though!

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back