JDM Builds Roush 428R Monster!!! 700 RWHP Roush!!

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Okay, So as most of you all know we installed the Roush TVS R2300 supercharger kit on Bill Jayne's 428 R Vista blue Roush mustang back in the spring. Bill ran his car all summer beating the death out of it at the track and on local roads. He maintained 560 RWHP on 93 octane gas the entire time only using 100 octane at the drags. Well Bill turned out countless 11 sec times slips and got that elusive 10 second run just a few weeks ago! He went 10.8 @ 128 mph however the only thing was he ended up hurting the motor on that run spinning a rod bearing leaving him with a pretty nasty sounding engine knock.

So Bill brought the hurt pony down for some rehabilitaion. After we yanked out the stock 281 3v motor we tore it down and diagnosed the bearing problem. We then began the build and Bills car became what is known today as the 428 Monster!

We built a new JDM 298 cubic inch using a brand new factory ford block. New steel forged 3.750" stroker crank, with manley 900 HP capable rods, pistons, and stainless steel rings. We also included high performance bearings and full ARP hardware in the motor. We dressed the top half with our CNC ported 3v cylinder heads and a set of Comp's stage 2 blower cams. We left the factory cam phasers alone not chosing to go with limiters or lock outs.

We bolted the Roush TVS blower back on the way it was with no other changes except for a larger mass air flow housing and 60 lb/hr injectors. We had to make custom brackets for the fuel rails to fit the taller 60lb injectors. The larger maf housing is only 1/4" in diameter larger. I believe it went from 113mm to 120mm which isnt a huge change but was needed for the power. The car ended up making a whoping 627 RWHP on a tune that had 5 degrees less timing than his previous tune! This was also on the same stock roush pulley which only yeilds 15 psi boost. We plan to put it on a 100 octane tune sometime today and shoot for 700 HP at the tires!!! we know the blower and motor are easily capable its just a matter of other components such as the clutch and trans.

We ended up putting the car back together with the Roush P51 clutch which seems to be holding fine for now however we aren't sure how its going to hold with Bills agressive driving and with sticky tires on the track as well. A trans and clutch upgrade may be in his future. Im thinking a TR6060 with lower 1st and 2nd gear ratios and a stock GT500 clutch. Ive seen those handle 700 RWHP all day long. Now that is a 5K upgrade so maybe not right away. OR the route id go is to a 5R55s auto conversion!!! Put it in D and hold on!!

Anyways enough of my rambling, im just very excited about this car and to see it run at JDM day tommorow!! Look for some good times if the clutch holds up!! Here is a copy of the dyno graph and some pictures.

Last edited:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
very nice project Jim!!!

impressive numbers all around!

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Extremely impressive - well done!!:beer:

ChevyKiller

Preferred Internet Drink
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
So is this another car looking to see a 9 tomorrow? Ill see you guys there. :beer:

I'll tell you - I'll be blown away if he he sees a 9. Not for lack of power - the car definitely has it in it - I just think he is going to find out real quick his weak link is now his clutch and trans. I wish the best of luck though for everyone going.

usafimj

Reaction score
How does this TVS s/c compare to whipple, kb, or saleen?

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
It is seeing numbers very similar to the Saleen and Whipple possibly more. This is the most we have made on such little boost and timing on any of those three.

How many TS/TVS/Roots blower cars are out there making more than 625 on pump gas??

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How does this TVS s/c compare to whipple, kb, or saleen?

they dont talk that much lol

nah its a new setup but i guess it would be around the same as a whipple or the 2.6 kb , and a little more than the saleen

usafimj

Reaction score
I know the kit comes with upgraded injectors but do you have to upgrade the fuel pump as well like the GT500 kit

don_w

Dyno Numbers - Who Cares?
Reaction score
Anyways enough of my rambling, im just very excited about this car and to see it run at JDM day tommorow!! Look for some good times if the clutch holds up!!
I 'hope' the clutch holds up for at least a couple good passes... get vids!!

Freaknazty

KEYBOARD NINJA
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I know the kit comes with upgraded injectors but do you have to upgrade the fuel pump as well like the GT500 kit

i dont think its necessary but the last thing you want to skimp on is fuel so if you have the cash yea get the pumps

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score

It comes with shorty style 52# injectors and we did the 60#s The fuel pumps are the GT500 kit, he had this in the car when it was on the stock motor. So no upgrades for fuel other than the injectors!

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I 'hope' the clutch holds up for at least a couple good passes... get vids!!

Me too!!! Im on my way to the store for a new memory card, im not going to race tommorow bc i havent been able to get my car worked on. There wasn't a lift open Don! So i get to play camera guy/video guy/water box boy /tech inspecter /starter/ all around bitch.

JimIII

JimIII@JDM

Official Vendor
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
How much for that blower?

$6995 as a kit with a custom SCT xcal 2 with tune, GT500 fuel system, and pre gapped autolites @ .030". Guarantee'd to make 500 RWHP safely on the stock motor

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back