Double Gasketed Oil Filter, Now Getting P0345/P0349 Codes

billy3v

Reaction score
Bought the car a month ago and did my first oil change on it. Didn't realize I left the old oil gasket on it and drove 2.5 miles. Oil all over the engine and my driveway. Needless to say I won't be doing that again. Anyways I go to change the oil and it's got about 3 quarts left. Go to start the car and its dead. Give it a jump after a few tries it fires up. Throws P0345 and P0349 codes. After research I see it's a common alternator issue. Haven't had any problems starting the car since I jumped it. Should I just change the sensor and see if the code goes away? Also it smells like something is buring after driving but temperatures stay fine. I assume its cause all of the spilled oil all over the engine? (I hope)

86GT351

forum member
Reaction score
The smell could be excess oil. It could also coincidentally have an alternator issue. With the oil getting all over the engine, it can cause belt slip which will smell and also cause the alternator to not work properly. Could be related or could be a separate issue.

GriffX

Reaction score
The camshaft adjusters work with oil pressure, I would delete the codes and wait if they come back.

billy3v

Reaction score
I did it came back after a couple of starts. I tested the alternator and seemed good. Ordered a new sensor so we shall see.

JC SSP

Reaction score
I love that Formula 88. I thought it it was a Miami thing… lol

MasterofDisaster

Reaction score
I usually put a large trash bag over the intake area and wash the motor with Simple Green and a couple brushes. Hose it off. You can wash off the intake area, but you need compressed air to dry it fast before the water messes with your electrical circuits.

bambam 06

Reaction score
I usually put a large trash bag over the intake area and wash the motor with Simple Green and a couple brushes. Hose it off. You can wash off the intake area, but you need compressed air to dry it fast before the water messes with your electrical circuits.
Leaf blower will do, that is what i use.

Laga

Reaction score
For some reason the oil filter gasket tends to stick to the 4.6 block for a long time.
My buddy had a 04 Bullit. His son changed the oil and the gasket stuck. He did not catch it soon enough and toasted the block.

bambam 06

Reaction score
For some reason the oil filter gasket tends to stick to the 4.6 block for a long time.
My buddy had a 04 Bullit. His son changed the oil and the gasket stuck. He did not catch it soon enough and toasted the block.
Do not lower the car till oil is in the engine and run it to check for leaks, it will avoid all of the above.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back