Powdercoating Steeda Spyders

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
When my 2005 Mustang GT was totaled, I was able to keep my Steeda Spyders. I like these wheels, however it seems that on my 2013 GT they don't have the same effect. The wheels have what looks like brake dust burnt into the spokes and slight chips or scratches in the clear coat on the polished section. I'm sure maybe some elbow grease could help a lot of that but the brake dust part looks more permanent, as the spoke look matte black in spots. To remedy this, I'm thinking of powercoating them to restore the stock look of them or take the opportunity to change the looks of them.

I've been considering different options and I don't know what the cost associated with them would be and if some of the options are even feasible.

These are my options:

1) Powdercoated Piano Black- spokes and lip. I figured this would be the cheapest option. I'm not sure how a deep dish style wheel would look In Straight black
I have a set of Steeda Spyder Wheels for a 2013 Mustang GT. The wheel is a deep dish style wheel, black with a polished (machined and clear coated) lip. It's a staggered setup; fronts are 20x9.5 and the rears are 20x11.

I've been considering different options and I don't know what the cost associated with them would be and if some of the options are even feasible.

These are my options:

1) Powdercoated Piano Black (or starlight) - spokes and lip. I figured this would be the cheapest option. I don't know how a deep dish wheel like Spyders would look in straight black. But all black seems to look great on 2011-2014 Mustangs for some reason to me.

2) Same as the one above except leaving the lip polished and recleared. I don't know if masking is possible during the powdercoating process. Up in the air with this idea as I like to have something different with all this trouble.

3) Powdercoated Bronze -spokes and lip. I thought this would look good on my DIB GT. It's bold and different

Opinions?

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Bronze color sample:
majeqyzy.jpg

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
Those are my wheels^^^ Except black. But I'm considering going white.

I love bronze wheels, but not Spyders. Retro muscle wheel with a euro color is weird.

I think they would look good in all black.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I've been siding with all black (option 1) but worried it would look cheap looking. Think it will?

Department Of Boost

Alpha Geek
Reaction score
I've been siding with all black (option 1) but worried it would look cheap looking. Think it will?

Not at all. I think it will look a lot cleaner than the black spoke/polished lip look. Not that I think they look "cheap", they just look common.

One thing that is hard to do is have wheels no one else does on a Mustang (without getting silly of course).

I had a set of these around. Thought they looked pretty cheezy. I pulled all the fake plastic "fasteners" then had them coated satin black. A friend has them on his car now. They look great!

foose-nitrous-wheels.jpg

I can't find any pics of the after though.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well option 2, would basically be a wheel restoration. Maybe I made a mistake getting Spyders. Lol. But I'm 1k+ in on wheels now. But I think it common because it tend to look the best and every major company makes all black now. Today I sent a quote request to powdercoating company somewhat local here on these three options. Wheels go on as soon the BMR suspension goes on.

And typical build thread of my car shall commence. Lol

ZPounds09GT

forum member
Reaction score
I'm sure if you have already considered this but why not just polish the wheels up and see if the finish get's restored? I mean, yeah the nicks and scratches would still be there but the restored finish would help hide the imperfections and you would have a significantly less amount of money into them.

I had the same issue with my two front wheels and brake dust that refused to come off along with some spots where the clear seemed faded and I just used Ultimate Compound on them by hand and they came out way better than I thought they would.

Last edited:

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well I personally like to see some change without spending the money on a new set of wheels and since everyone is jumping on forgestars, niche, and velgens... Selling steedas would be too much hassle with not much money recovered.

I'm hoping the cost is low like 100 a wheel for all black.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
They said 85-100 a wheel estimate. But they like to see a picture of them for piano black and 10% up charge for dark bronze (in house color).

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
Well the dark bronze would look especially good on DIB, Kona, Black, Dark Reds, and maybe White. But only dark bronze. Too light it would be a gold color. Searched for DIB 13-14 with bronze wheels and no luck.

Jinx

Photography Blogger
Reaction score
I'm trying to imagine that color on Steeda Spyders. Here's a picture of a chrome version of a Spyder (black ones and machined faced make it hard to visualize in one solid color)
ysu5edup.jpg

bullitt boy

Reaction score
those bronze forgestars would look great on my 2014 gotta have it green.

swedensky

forum member
Reaction score
It's only plastidip but you can get an idea of bronze/copper on DIB...and I left the pic Uncropped so that you could look the owner up on IG for more pics.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back