Advice on a ZEX S197 Install

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Understand most of the basic information just need clarification on a few points:

• Adjusting timing - The Zex instructions warn against using *any* performance tune (even with the 75 shot) which has not been adjusted for nitrous (timing reduced). Is this really an issue or can I run a 75 shot right on top of my Brenspeed 93 octane tune without additional adjustments?
  • Adjusting timing (part deux) - So when going to the 100 or 125 shot do I really need a custom N20 tune ($75 from Brenspeed) or can I simply use the customizing features with the SCT to modify my base 93 tune to remove the requisite degrees of timing? If so, what timing vs rpm ranges did you use?
  • Nozzle location - Again, the ZEX instructions call for placement 6-18" in front of the throttle body. Opinions here? Further is better (to provide N20, fuel mix according to BSpeed's instructions) but to what point?
Thanks!

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
#1---on the 75 shot I ran the same tune, no issues, although I was using the HT0 plugs.

#2---on the 125 you really should get a dyno tune to confirm a/f ratio. When I had mine tuned on the 150 shot, I actually ran a fuel jet .03 larger then called for to get the a/f where I wanted.

Also, once you run the 125, you really need to run the Ht0 plugs combined with the best gas you can get (104) to make sure the plugs survive--especially on the big end on 1/4 mile runs. I also ran a BAP and had it on 40 while making the 1/4 mile pass. On the 75 and the 100, stock gap is fine, but on the 125 I would gap the stock gap of .045 down to .035.

#3, mount the shark nozzle so N20 and fuel jet changes are easy. Also make sure you mount the nozzle far enough down the tube to clear the throttle body and such. I mounted mine about 8 inches away from the throttle body.

Fastmover

Resident Fuktard
Reaction score
I think JPC has a handle on the ZEX thing, him or Del Pino at DPM. Id call one of them

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Please keep the advice coming.

I fired off an email to BSpeed to ask them the same questions about the 75 shot on top if their tune. I'll post up what I get back.

I got an answer on another forum where a guy said he did just that an melted his front four plugs. He wasn't running HT0s so it's just guessing whether that was the cause or just an overall lean condition.

2007 GT/CS

"Oderint Dum Metuant"
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'm putting in the HT0s and dropping back to the 87 tune but still running 93 octane. Here's the answer I got back from Brenspeed today:

I have ran the 75 on our 93 a lot with no issues. To be safer you can load a lower octane tune or pull out timing.

Brenspeed is currently having a very high volume of e-mails. Please expect a delayed response during this time or call 574.594.9559 for faster assistance.

Brent White
http://www.brenspeed.com
Visit Brenspeed.com For Fast Free Shipping & CUSTOM TUNING!
Visit our Brenspeed.com showroom and dyno facility in Indiana for all your mustang needs.
Stocking warehouse for Pypes, C&L, BBK, Spec, Steeda, SCT, Motive Gear, SLP, Mac, JLT, and more!

Please include all e-mail history and transaction numbers in replies. This will speed up our response time.

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Yep, I did the same thing as Brent for a little bit. I say a little bit because it wasn't long till I tried the 100, then the 125. The 125 is pretty stout and until they come out with a better plug for our cars, I would recomend that is as far as you push it.

On the street I never lost a plug or had any problems at all on the 100. On the 125 I would lose a plug once in a while, so if you go to the track, take some spare plugs with you. Remember run the best gas you can get---its cheap insurance and you don't have to worry about timing as much with the 104 octane. I used to run the 91 octane tune on the 125 shot with 104 gas and had a best 1/8th mile of 7.38 @ 92. Good luck with it.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back