anyone experience with 315 tires

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Since I badly need more grip I decided to go for bigger tires in the rear than the 255/40R19 I have right now.

After searching the net and looking through a lot of forums I wanted to go for a Toyo R888 315/30R20.
According to the Toyo website they are actually 317 but that wouldn't be an issue.

Today they were delivered and when I measured them they turned out to be 330 instead of 317! And now I'm afraid that they won't fit :(

The rims aren't made yet so we can still adjust the offset. Normally we would have went with a 65 offset.

When I measured the car there was 333mm room before hitting the side.

Now has anyone run these tires or something like this?

And I'm sorry for the decimal stuff but I live in europe :p

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
Yep I ran 315's on the front and rear with stock fenders. Those are wide, even for 315's, but 315 also refers to section width, and it may be different depending on the company.

With the correct offset on an 11" wheel- the 315 can tuck inside the fenders-

_DSC2999-XL.jpg

10128266533_d45c54073b_b.jpg

10128084134_627533d44c_b.jpg

These were the wheels I ran-
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info.php?cPath=141_142_268&products_id=624

And I ran variety of tires- Hoosier A6's, Kumho V710's, and BFG Rivals, all in 315 or 295.

And I made this video on mods you need to fit 315's on the front- I apologize for the bad camera and light :/

Also- the use of a Watt's link in the rear can help a lot with rub on the rear.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Yep I ran 315's on the front and rear with stock fenders. Those are wide, even for 315's, but 315 also refers to section width, and it may be different depending on the company.

With the correct offset on an 11" wheel- the 315 can tuck inside the fenders-
QUOTE]

Tnx but I don't plan on putting them up front.

I know that 315 normally isn't an issue but them being really 330 is I suppose :(

So you think it can be done?

Problem is that when I buy the 20" rims I'm stuck with the 315 because there are no 305 Toyo R888 in 20", only in 19". So if I would go for the 305 tires I'll have to order 19" rims to.

But if I decide later on to go for a widebodykit it just is impossible to go to those 315 (330) because I will also need new rims.

:sigh1:

Pentalab

forum member
Reaction score
Csamsh, how much camber do you use on the fronts ? Can you go as little as -1 deg ?

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people running the 315/30/20 R888s on the back of their Mustangs with no problems. I would suggest you contact Paul at Howey Industries for wheel fitment help and he can assist you in picking the right offset.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
There are a lot of people running the 315/30/20 R888s on the back of their Mustangs with no problems. I would suggest you contact Paul at Howey Industries for wheel fitment help and he can assist you in picking the right offset.

and do they all turn out to be 330 or is this just my luck :wtf1:

Do you think that Paul is willing to help and assist me even if he won't be selling things? Me being in Europe doesn't make it easy to find things out and I could sure use some help on getting it right!!

csamsh

forum member
Reaction score
I think you'll be fine. Just nail the offset and use a Watt's if you get rub inboard.

You can also cut the spot welds on the tie down bracket to free up some inboard clearance in the rear as well

GallopingFord

I'm Cam - Mr. Indecisive
Reaction score

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Just came back from the shop who's going to install the new engine and they said it will be very hard to make it fit...

Maybe it will work but the chance is greater that it won't, according to them.

So I don't think i'll take the risk with ordering those 20" rims because if turns out that is really doesn't fit i'll have paid for 2 tires and rims that are specially ordered for me and with no possibility to return them :(

Thinking about playing safe and order a 305/30R19 that seems to be 314 wide :)

Can't install a watts because with that I won't be able to pass the annual inspection of the car here in Belgium. Damn country ...

tigerhonaker

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Just came back from the shop who's going to install the new engine and they said it will be very hard to make it fit...

Maybe it will work but the chance is greater that it won't, according to them.

So I don't think i'll take the risk with ordering those 20" rims because if turns out that is really doesn't fit i'll have paid for 2 tires and rims that are specially ordered for me and with no possibility to return them :(

Thinking about playing safe and order a 305/30R19 that seems to be 314 wide :)

Can't install a watts because with that I won't be able to pass the annual inspection of the car here in Belgium. Damn country ...

Philip,

Smart move on changing and going with the 305/35-19" tires and wheels.

Sometimes bigger is not always better buddy.

Terry

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Before you decide to abandon the 315 R888s, I still think you should check with an expert in wheel/tire fitments for the Mustangs. I am running 305/30/20 Michelin PSS (which is much wider than other brands 305s and 315s) and they fit fine. The 315/30/20 R888s were my second choice and I spoke to several people on the forums who run them, along with Paul@Howey, who confirmed that they would have worked, too.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score
Before you decide to abandon the 315 R888s, I still think you should check with an expert in wheel/tire fitments for the Mustangs. I am running 305/30/20 Michelin PSS (which is much wider than other brands 305s and 315s) and they fit fine. The 315/30/20 R888s were my second choice and I spoke to several people on the forums who run them, along with Paul@Howey, who confirmed that they would have worked, too.

Ok, I'll contact him and see if there is a way.

Well Terry, It seems that if i go for the 305's they will be 314.5. So in fact I'm still going for 315 :biggrin:

It's true that bigger isn't always better but sometimes it doesn't hurt.

philip_mustang

forum member
Reaction score

Got a reply from paul and he said:

330MM tires will never fit without modification to both the suspension and fenders. The amount of medication will depend on the offset and width of the wheel you are building.

And since I don't plan on changing the suspension and bending the fenders I must go with those 305's ...

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The tires wont really be 330's when mounted. What is the distance between the outsides of the tire beads where they will touch the wheels? Its probably wider than the actual wheel width will be. So the sidewalls will pull in when mounted.

I had 313/35-20 BFG Rivals on 20x10s with 45mm offset and they just barely rubbed. 50mm offset wheels would have cleared with plenty of room on the back side.

The Toyos are not over-sized. I bet the actual mounted width is the same as the Rivals or most other 315s. Nittos are always on the small side.

As several others have said, they will fit.

Champale

forum member
Reaction score
Racer47 is 100% right.

Philip - I don't know if it is a language barrier going on here or what but your tires are the normal 315mm Toyo R888 that a whole lot of people run on the backs of their Mustangs. The fact that an un-mounted, un-aired tire might measure slightly bigger than the stated width is not surprising at all. The 315 does not refer to the ACTUAL width, only the tread width, and manufacturers are free to make the tread as wide or narrow as they deem fit and still call it a 315. My 305 Michelins measure far wider than most 315 and fit fine.

I would recommend that you tell Paul that you plan on using the 315mm R888 and see what size/offset he recommends. A 20x11 with a 53 or 55mm offset is probably what he will recommend and I doubt that any modifications will need to be made at all.

There are people running big fat 325mm Michelins and even bigger with few, if any, problems.

Racer47

Doesn't have much to say
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
By my measurements a 315 tire on an 11" wide wheel should have a 60 mm offset to set the tire just inside the rear fender.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back