Autometer Cobalt Series 2-1/16" Digital Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio: is it worth it?

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Autometer Cobalt Series 2-1/16" Digital Wideband Air/Fuel Ratio: is this gauge worth the $389. I have read all about the narrow bands are useless...but was curious if it is worth the investment to buy the wideband..outside of the obvious that knowing your A/F will save your engine and money, but i am more interested if it is worth the price....please advise....
TJ

Hawgman

THE fucking bad guy
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TJ, you do realize that you are asking a board full of forced induction cars whether or not a wideband is worth it, right? Pretty sure you are not going to get any negative replies.

If you are going to stay well within conservative ranges with your car, honestly it isn't going to be worth much other than a cool looking gauge. If you are going to be hammering on it all the time, it is good to have for peace of mind. If you are going to be pushing limits..it's an invaluable tool.

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
TJ, you do realize that you are asking a board full of forced induction cars whether or not a wideband is worth it, right? Pretty sure you are not going to get any negative replies.

If you are going to stay well within conservative ranges with your car, honestly it isn't going to be worth much other than a cool looking gauge. If you are going to be hammering on it all the time, it is good to have for peace of mind. If you are going to be pushing limits..it's an invaluable tool.

LOL, I know Doc, and now that I am somewhat part of that Forced induction family, I figured I would throw it out there...so basically if I just drive my daily driver as is...dont race and have made sure that my tunes are well within the parameters as far as AF goes then it is a pretty gauge that cost $$$...BUT if I intend on slapping on a 3.2 or smaller pulley etc etc and plan on racing the shiznit out of her...then crucial...?? I just hear of others getting them with there SC upgrades and wondered for MY usage is it worth it...never intend on racing...probably will never see the southside of 100mph much..and as far as getting into her....except traffic light to traffic light occasional burst...not likely......thanks

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
gwet a wideband like you stated the narrow bands are useless. jsut a light show

Slofoot

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The wideband would be very nice to have for datalogging A/F and as Hawg said they look really cool. I do believe you should have at a minimum a fuel pressure and boost gauge on any FI car. It gives me a warm and fuzzy to glance at the FP gauge and see it max when the boost comes in. Just let's me know everything is doing it's job. Boost+fuel pressure= A/F

cheftjpeck

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The wideband would be very nice to have for datalogging A/F and as Hawg said they look really cool. I do believe you should have at a minimum a fuel pressure and boost gauge on any FI car. It gives me a warm and fuzzy to glance at the FP gauge and see it max when the boost comes in. Just let's me know everything is doing it's job. Boost+fuel pressure= A/F

yeah, I have the SOS twin pillar pod with electric fuel pressure and mech boost vac...I was just rading how so many others plopped down the change for the af gauge (wideband) as well. I would never ever consider getting the narrowband...but was more curious if i should invest in the gauge at all with my setup and usage. I think DOC, pretty much answered my question pretty darn good..as he always seems to do...

S197 GT

PINK Casting Director
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I think Hawg summed it up perfectly.

I have a NEXUS Wideband that I installed, and I think it was worth every penny. My car is also daily driven. It's great for peace of mind.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back