Choice of heads for a Coyote swap with 2014 ECM

Kernle32DLL

Reaction score
Hi,

I am knees deep in working on Coyote swapping my 08 V6. I got all the important stuff figured out, and am currently stripping the car. I am dead set on going with a 2011 - 2014 ECM (preferably 2014), so keep that in mind. Also, I have no fixed budget, and I am doing the swap for my personal fun - a lot of decisions are financially stupid, but fun.

My original plan was to build a "OEM+" 3-2-1 Coyote. So a fresh built gen 3 block, maybe some sleeving and slight overbore to 5.2L. Then ported gen 2 heads with oversized valves, and finally mostly stock gen 1 timing components, with some upgraded components here and there, like improved tensioners. I have to go with a stock camshaft tho, due to regulatory limits (emissions) in my country. Rounding off the build are some nice later model components, like a 2018 intake manifold, a 2020 GT500 oil sump and pump, etc. Stuff like that. Makes a pretty solid Coyote build in my opinion.

Now something caught my attention. The Ford Performance M-6550-M52A camshafts. While they are long gone, the idea is that these are basically gen 2 coyote camshafts spec wise, with mounting points for gen 1 coyote timing, fitting a GT350 head (so no flat plane magic). This is noteworthy, since you can install Coyote gen 1 and 2 camshafts with modified MMR rocker arms in GT350 heads, but these M-6550-M52A camshafts basically mean running gen 2 camshafts with gen 1 timing - which is sweet. The question is now, if I should switch my plan here, and use a combination of 2021 GT500 heads (drop in replacement for GT350 heads) with M-6550-M52A equivalent camshafts. It would add some novelty to the build, but introduce some challenges, too - like ensuring piston/valve clearance, etc. - I could switch the block to a GT500 block too, but I don't think its that useful.

You might be wondering why I even consider this, and not just go with a good pair of custom camshafts with my original build plan. The reason is that I am heavily limited by emissions in my country. I have no definitive numbers, but think California. And camshafts are a major factor in emissions - hence my worries to deviate from stock camshafts. I would presume that the mentioned camshafts are pretty much emissions legal, with them basically being gen 2 coyote camshafts in a special packaging to fit in GT350/500 heads.

So - opinions?

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Are you planning on adding any FI? That would drive my decision on cams more than anything else. Otherwise, stock cams are going to be the best bet. Custom cams are a waste of money, imho. It's not like you can go something with a lot of overlap (emissions) and aren't speccing something out specifically for a supercharger less overlap, more duration. I would just stick with something something simple that lets you use stock components.

Flapjack

Lunatic engine swapper
Reaction score
Also, the 5.2 overbore will net you next to nothing, while removing block material you may need in the future. It's a waste of money... again, my humble opinion.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back