Comp Cams 127400 Sound??

Windy_3V

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve heard a lot of great things about the 127400 Comp Cams but I’ve been having a really hard time trying to find any sound clips for these cams. I’m definitely more of a performance over sound kinda guy but part of me really wants a nice lope if I’m gonna drop over $900 on a set of cams (plus springs, phaser limiters etc.) and I’ve heard these don’t really have that crazy of a sound. Not sure if it’s even possible to post videos on threads but if there’s any way anybody can get me a little sound clip with these cams I would really appreciate it.

P.S. Not necessarily new to the forums but I just made an account and this is my first post :)

07 Boss

Reaction score
Well for starters your quest for sound will depend on your cam specs. I believe all of the SPR cams have the same LSA so you will get more "lope" with longer duration grinds. So why are you looking at the smallest of the SPR cams? Why would you not want to get the 127600? Those will have more lope than the 127400. You will get both performance and "lope" if you go with a more aggressive grind.

Windy_3V

Reaction score
I have the car setup as more of a street/strip car and the reason why I wanted the 127400 is because you don’t lose as much torque as the higher lift cams. Cams like the 127500 or 127600 have more horsepower gains up high but you sacrifice some of the low end torque. The 127400 has a pretty tight LSA compared to others. I don’t remember the exact value off the top of my head.

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
I ran both the 400 cams and 500 cams on my car, na and supercharged and ultimately went with the 400’s. 400’s had better street manners and better under the curve power. Up top the 500’s made a few more horsepower. ( less than 10) and how much time do you spend above 6500 rpm where the 500’s vs made a few more horsepower? Never lost any low end horsepower or torque with the 400’s compared to stock and used limiters, did not lock them out

Dino Dino Bambino

I have a red car
Reaction score
Oooh this is great info, thanks! Really making me consider getting my heads ported now. How much did the p&p cost you?
Since the SPR cams have a higher valve lift than the VSR & NSR cams, they really need to be combined with ported heads to take advantage of the higher lift airflow. The 127400 cams are very strong in the midrange and are great all round for the 4.6L 3V. Their only downside is that they require phaser limiters resulting in a mild torque loss below 2500rpm, but you wouldn't even notice it especially if you install headers at the same time.
Ported heads & 127400 cams combined should yield close to a 50rwhp gain. Since the engine's going to produce peak HP at ~6250rpm and be rev limited at ~6750rpm, there's no advantage in swapping a Ford Performance intake manifold in place of the stock intake manifold with delete plates.
@Badd GT your dyno numbers are very impressive but do you have any corrected numbers?

Badd GT

forum member
Reaction score
I stumbled across the heads one day on eBay, iirc they were $800 bare. Place called coupe performance in Georgia did them. Guys name is Scott Milner, he’s still around. You also have Modular Head Shop up in Northern Florida you can check with.

Windy_3V

Reaction score
Since the SPR cams have a higher valve lift than the VSR & NSR cams, they really need to be combined with ported heads to take advantage of the higher lift airflow. The 127400 cams are very strong in the midrange and are great all round for the 4.6L 3V. Their only downside is that they require phaser limiters resulting in a mild torque loss below 2500rpm, but you wouldn't even notice it especially if you install headers at the same time.
Ported heads & 127400 cams combined should yield close to a 50rwhp gain. Since the engine's going to produce peak HP at ~6250rpm and be rev limited at ~6750rpm, there's no advantage in swapping a Ford Performance intake manifold in place of the stock intake manifold with delete plates.
@Badd GT your dyno numbers are very impressive but do you have any corrected numbers?
I have long tube headers on the car already so the cams and heads would be the finishing touch. Also planning on doing the delete plates at the same time as the cams. The Ford Performance manifold doesn’t really do much and if anything it actually hurts power from what I’ve seen due to the fact that the intake runners on the FRPP manifold are actually shorter than the stock manifold.

Windy_3V

Reaction score
I stumbled across the heads one day on eBay, iirc they were $800 bare. Place called coupe performance in Georgia did them. Guys name is Scott Milner, he’s still around. You also have Modular Head Shop up in Northern Florida you can check with.
Awesome find! I’m in South Florida so it would be a nice trip but worth it for a quality shop. I have some around me that seem reputable and I’m planning to give some a call to see if i can get some quotes. I’m trying to squeeze as much as I can out of it N/A for now, shooting for as close to 400rwhp as I can get.

cavero

forum member
Reaction score
I have a video clip in another thread here with the 127400's. There isn't much lope on these

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back