Gido

Reaction score
The car is a 2010 V6 4.0 **without** dual zone climate control. The driver side is blowing warm air, while the passenger side is blowing ice cold. I've mostly debugged the issue but have a bit more to do. Now it's time to figure out what to do about the issue. Be careful if you are using what I have put here. This applies to the "w/o dual zone", or single zone, system ONLY.

The cars are manufactured such that there are minimal differences between the various models (minimizes production line differences, tooling, and assembly time). The dual zone system uses two independent actuators for the driver and passenger side, while the single zone systems use only one actuator. In addition to that/those actuators, all models will have two additional actuators; one for the inside/recirculate function and the other for the defrost, dash, feet selection. Here's a video of where the actuators are
(sorry, won't paste as a link). You can find diagrams of the components here https://www.americanimportrepair.com/blog/what-happens-when-an-a-c-actuator-goes-bad (scroll down for the single zone system part list). The evaporator assembly for the single zone system is part # DR3Z-19850-C.

If you have a single zone system, the inside of the evaporator assembly still has 2 separate doors, one for the driver side, and one for the passenger side. The difference is, for the single zone system the door hinge points are connected together (likely with a keyed sleeve, versus a smooth sleeve) INSIDE THE EVAPORATOR ASSEMBLY, meaning the two doors move together as actuated by the single actuator on the passenger side. You can look up under the steering wheel towards the center console (on the side of the evaporator assembly) and see the faded white (my son called it pearl color) round piece sticking out of the evaporator assembly, and a few alignment posts and unused screw holes. That's where the driver side actuator would go for a dual zone system (but the white piece would have teeth inside to engage the actuator, as opposed to smooth such as for the single zone system). If you put your fingers on that white piece and change the temp setting (with the car running), you may feel that piece rotate... or you may not. I did feel the piece rotate. There are likely several different failure modes that result in similar symptoms (more on that below).

This is as far as I've debugged. I ordered an endoscope (camera on the end of a cord) to shove in the left center vent to see if I can witness the door moving as I adjust the temp. I know it moves some since the air goes from 135 deg F air to 85 deg F air on the driver side of the car when I go from full hot to full cold (passenger side goes from 135 deg F down to 58 deg F). It could be that something fell down there and is stopping the door from completely closing, or it could be that the door is slightly damaged but not completely broken. I know the door shaft/hinge and the connecting piece to the passenger blend door (or it could be one solid piece with two doors) are good because the shaft on the driver side turns when the temp is changed. But something has failed for sure... just not exactly sure what that failure mode is yet. Here's a good site to check out with illustrations and videos of what I'm talking about (though not on a Mustang), https://www.americanimportrepair.com/blog/what-happens-when-an-a-c-actuator-goes-bad. They show a broken door, and they talk about a bad actuator. My actuator is NOT bad, but my door may be broken (though not like the one in the video because, again, I can feel the shaft turn on the driver side and it is SOLID, meaning I cannot turn it by hand). If you don't feel the piece rotate at all, or if it is moveable by hand, it might be that the keyed sleeve inside the evaporator assembly broke, or that the blend door hinge/shaft broke (see the bit on the American Import Auto site listed above).

Lastly, regardless of what my specific failure mode is, the end all be all answer is to replace the evaporator assembly. I haven't researched what that involves, but from what I've seen, the ENTIRE dash has to come out. Looks like you can replace just the evaporator core or the heater core by itself, so you likely don't need to break into either of those systems (which means a lot less special equipment, expertise, time, and dollars). For now, I've ordered a heater core bypass valve from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CWD39QNV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1) to keep the heater core from even getting hot. It's not going to "fix" the problem, but it will make it a lot less noticeable, especially on recirculate setting.

I'll come back and post more once I'm able to scope the blend doors. If anyone else has experience with this issue, I'd love to hear what you did. If you replaced the evaporator assembly, I'd love to hear how difficult it was. I'd also LOVE to know how to get the center rectangular vents out as that would make it much easier to scope.

crjackson

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I JUST started having this issue on my 2014 GT Premium w/Dual Zone controls. Mine will of course be a little different, but this is an educational read for me regardless.

I downloaded the video to my iPad for reference.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:

Gido

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. I JUST started having this issue on my 2014 GT Premium w/Dual Zone controls. Mine will of course be a little different, but this is an educational read for me regardless.

I downloaded the video to my iPad for reference.

Thanks for sharing.
You could always pull the driver side actuator off and try and articulate the blend door by hand (twist the little white knob where the actuator engages the blend door shaft/hinge). Try one direction all the way, and see if it blows hot or cold, then try the other way. If you get the functionality back while moving the door by hand, it's likely the actuator. You could also remove the actuator but plug the electrical connector back in and then change the settings on the AC from hot to cold (or vice versa) and see if it rotates. In either case, before removing the actuator, set the system to either full cold or full hot (either will accomplish the goal). Then, once you remove the actuator, somehow mark the white plastic knob so that you can put everything back exactly where it was, making the alignment easier. Also, with the actuator plugged in, make sure the actuator is back in its original position by setting the AC to the start condition, either full cold or full hot, whichever one you chose to start with. Throughout the whole procedure, don't change the AC settings without having the actuator plugged in to the electrical connector--it'll just make things easier when reassembling by keeping everything aligned. I haven't had to align a new actuator yet, not sure of those procedures.

I also have the clicking sound when the car is first turned on, but that is the floor/face mode door, not the temp blend door. It's been there since we bought the car, but it still works, just clicks, so never debugged it... until this recent problem. Now that it's been diagnosed, and since the actuator is only $12, I'm going to replace it. I hope to install it in the next week, so I'll have to figure out the alignment procedure soon anyhow. I can post back with any insight once I do that. I haven't actually searched for that procedure yet anyhow. It might be all over the internet already. Interesting thing about that actuator is that it is marked with a manufacturing date of Sep 2012, but the car manufacture date is Sep 2009. That actuator has obviously already been replaced, likely under warranty. Those things are crap. Hopefully yours is that easy and that cheap.

crjackson

Reaction score
Mine doesn’t click, and it will go from full hot, to ambient temps. So it’s moving, but not fully. Once the other vents finally get the interior cooled down, then the driver side vents blow cool, but never cold like the Px side. I wonder if the door is getting stuck.

Gido

Reaction score
Ah, more like my problem than I realized. I'll let you know what I find when I scope. Also, if your car doesn't have a heater core bypass valve, installing a manual one might help.

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back