For the Oil Pump???

07 Boss

Reaction score
So I can’t seem to get an angle on one of the pick up tube bolts. My question if I can unbolt the pump and rotate it with the pick up tube on there to reach it properly or do I have to drop the oil pan?

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re going to be able to rotate the tube. It would bend the mounting bracket (not a big deal), but I don’t think pump is going rotate in the necessary direction to make that bolt accessible.

I’ve used a flex head ratchet wrench before, it’s a real pain in the butt.

07 Boss

Reaction score
I don’t think you’re going to be able to rotate the tube. It would bend the mounting bracket (not a big deal), but I don’t think pump is going rotate in the necessary direction to make that bolt accessible.

I’ve used a flex head ratchet wrench before, it’s a real pain in the butt.

Without dropping the pan? I just can’t seem to finagle myself in there.

FredB66

Reaction score
8mm as I recall, right? Yes, you'll need an 8mm flex head ratchet wrench. I bought one just for that bolt. Tricky, but doable.

lwarrior1016

Reaction score
I seem to remember being able to hold the bolt up with one finger and get it started with another finger on the same hand. It’s nerve racking.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
My oil pump pickup is bolted to a main cap stud. I don’t think it can be removed without dropping the pan. Perhaps they are not all the same.

07 Boss

Reaction score
My oil pump pickup is bolted to a main cap stud. I don’t think it can be removed without dropping the pan. Perhaps they are not all the same.

Yeah I didn’t know how it was set up. That was why I was asking. Running outta time. I can’t get hung up again. If I do it, I’m gonna drop the pan. But that means a new gasket and oil I gotta get and who knows if I find something else? lol. I know I can get everything back together in 3-4 hours and there shouldn’t be any issues. I can always do the pump later when I have garage access (with a/c) and my lift as opposed to in the driveway with jack stands and chalks under the wheels cause it’s actually on a slight incline. I was planning on doing a complete refresh on her this fall as I’m planning on getting rid of her. Lot of things wrong that need to be fixed before that happens.

07 Boss

Reaction score

Yeah I didn’t know how it was set up. That was why I was asking. Running outta time. I can’t get hung up again. If I do it, I’m gonna drop the pan. But that means a new gasket and oil I gotta get and who knows if I find something else? lol. I know I can get everything back together in 3-4 hours and there shouldn’t be any issues. I can always do the pump later when I have garage access (with a/c) and my lift as opposed to in the driveway with jack stands and chalks under the wheels cause it’s actually on a slight incline. I was planning on doing a complete refresh on her this fall as I’m planning on getting rid of her. Lot of things wrong that need to be fixed

JC SSP

Reaction score
I alway thought you had to drop the oil pan but some people say you don’t? I have an 05’ did they change the oil pump mounting on later models?

Last edited:

07 Boss

Reaction score
I alway thought you had to drop the oil pan but some people say you don’t? I have an 05’ did they change the oil pump mounting on later models?

I'm pretty sure it can be done without dropping the pan I just think that if I don't I may have issues trying to put the pick up tube back in there without it dropped. I don't have any time for delays at this point. I have 4 cars and only the wife's is running right now. I know I should put it in while I'm in there but i think I will just have to do it at a later time.

Midlife Crises

Reaction score
did they change the oil pump mounting on later models?
The oil pumps all bolt on in the same fashion. The pickup tube bolts to the pump the same way as far as I know. There are two different diameter pickup tubes and they must be matched to the appropriate pump. The pickup tubes also have a support bracket that is bolted to one of the rear main caps. You have to drop the pan to reach the nut.

JC SSP

Reaction score
Ok with the rear main attachment point, then its mandatory to drop the pan. THX

Latest posts

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back