I am Steeda's #1 fan? (aka - TR6060 install attempt 2)

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
ok, I appologize in advance for the vendor rant, but...

I understand I am going something odd - but that does not excuse poor engineering/packaging/tech advice (I will note for the recordthat PowerHouse's kick-butt 4" GT500 driveshaft isn't blameless, but were it not for some really poor choices on Steeda's part, it would be less of an issue).

Here goes...

For those of you playing the home game - installing GT500 trans (TR6060) with PH 1pc driveshaft, and my ever increasingly custom Steeda Tri-ax shifter...

Issues:
1. In the first attachement, I show the following issues:
a. washers used to make up for difference in width between the GT500 shift lever and Steeda's (for $300+ would it have killed you to machine the right part rather than re-use the wrong one?)
b. Steeda suggests/provides 2 washers (on the left) - I needed a third..
c. Note the size of the washers they provide - the importance of that will be demonstrated later...
d. no dust boot? Nice lubed up parts just sitting there waiting to soak up the road?

2. The second attachment shows the bigger of the problems...
The PH DS leave no room for error and Steeda soaked it up with big honk'n washers... Note my nice tidy washer takes up no more room than the linkage itself?

So add this to my prior failure to ignore Steeda's tech support...

There is the issue of the DS just being very LARGE - I'll have to do some math and talk to PH about this - it may be that a single mm more than the stock GT500 is too much on this setup...

p.s. my "nice tidy"TM washer was ground from a smaller ID washer... I guess I have to make 2 more...

Attachments

• shifter_flaws.jpg
    shifter_flaws.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 52
  • too_close.jpg
    too_close.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

thump_rrr

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
That blue piece is the dust boot. They have been using it for 2 1/2 years with no complaints that I'm aware of.

travelers

Reaction score
That blue piece is the dust boot. They have been using it for 2 1/2 years with no complaints that I'm aware of.
But how many people have gone under there and checked on that to see how much road dirt and wear on that part? Probable no one. That is still a poor design. My Pro 5.0 has a nice clear boot to cover that area from water and what else the road will have to offer greas.

travelers

Reaction score
ok, I appologize in advance for the vendor rant, but...

I understand I am going something odd - but that does not excuse poor engineering/packaging/tech advice (I will note for the recordthat PowerHouse's kick-butt 4" GT500 driveshaft isn't blameless, but were it not for some really poor choices on Steeda's part, it would be less of an issue).

Here goes...

For those of you playing the home game - installing GT500 trans (TR6060) with PH 1pc driveshaft, and my ever increasingly custom Steeda Tri-ax shifter...

Issues:
1. In the first attachement, I show the following issues:
a. washers used to make up for difference in width between the GT500 shift lever and Steeda's (for $300+ would it have killed you to machine the right part rather than re-use the wrong one?)
b. Steeda suggests/provides 2 washers (on the left) - I needed a third..
c. Note the size of the washers they provide - the importance of that will be demonstrated later...
d. no dust boot? Nice lubed up parts just sitting there waiting to soak up the road?

2. The second attachment shows the bigger of the problems...
The PH DS leave no room for error and Steeda soaked it up with big honk'n washers... Note my nice tidy washer takes up no more room than the linkage itself?

So add this to my prior failure to ignore Steeda's tech support...

There is the issue of the DS just being very LARGE - I'll have to do some math and talk to PH about this - it may be that a single mm more than the stock GT500 is too much on this setup...

p.s. my "nice tidy"TM washer was ground from a smaller ID washer... I guess I have to make 2 more...
The Pro 5.0 GT shifter has a nice boot to cover that area that you might be able to adapt to cover that open area of the shifter.

I hope once you have completely troubleshoot all the swap problems that you make a list of what is needed to do a quality swap. I know we all appreciate your hard work. Thanks:worship:

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
The Pro 5.0 GT shifter has a nice boot to cover that area that you might be able to adapt to cover that open area of the shifter.

I hope once you have completely troubleshoot all the swap problems that you make a list of what is needed to do a quality swap. I know we all appreciate your hard work. Thanks:worship:
I have lots of pics - once its up and running, I figured I would do the whole run-down...

With the possible exception of drive-shaft clearance vs full travel, I think I have solutions for everything (I have not had a chance to speak with PH or go through the math/measurements to make sure that the DS won't still hit after I do some grinding).

I really thought about just putting the GT500 shifter in there - it looks like it is an improvement over the GT (2 braces instead of one, less clunk on the shift lever and generally a tighter ball machanism), but the linkage to the inside of the car faces forward instead of sideways.

I am still holding out hope for making the test&tune tomorrow - so perhaps I will re-explore that later... I suspect once I grind, boot and adjust the steeda, it will work quite well - I am just not pleased payign a preimum an incomlete afterthought of a solution...

KIMMER

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your problems. I wonder how this swap is on an 07 gt, because from what i've heard its somewhat setup for the 5.4 gear too. I'm not sure if the 6th gear is worth it to me though, I think i'll just get my stock one rebuilt heavy duty. Definitely get some pics and a detailed step by step if you can. The main site is going to have a tech guide section for detailed walk through guides for doing stuff like this, turbos, superchargers, oil changes, etc.

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all your problems. I wonder how this swap is on an 07 gt, because from what i've heard its somewhat setup for the 5.4 gear too.
About the only thing I have run into that might be 05/06 specific is the wiring harness for the transmission... (but that may be the same for the 07).

The connectors are mostly on the opposite side for the 3650 vs the 6060...

I know they have a 5.4 specific wire harness, so I suspect it won't be any different for 05 vs 07... (that is the 07 GT harness likely has the same differences as the 05 GT relative to the GT500 because they just assume the GT500 harness will be used with G500 components)

The key issue is just know what parts you need and where to get them... Still haven't gotten that answer for the entire shifter assembly - I have the most important part, but there are some special clips that I found it easier to fab up than try to figure out the part number...

A service manual with the GT500 should help - I have an 05/06 manual, but not the 07 and I am not even sure how complete the GT500 would be (one would hope - "entirely", but no guarantee of that).

p.s. don't be sorry - this is the fun part! I just made the mistake of thinking I was going to get past all the "fun" prior to racing season...

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
You are likely correct - that part is almost certainly labled "dust boot" and it is better off with it than without it...

But generally a dust boot works best if the grease cant get out... If it can get out, then dirt/water can get in (not to mention you can see sensitive parts if you look carefully through the dust boot)...

I suspect it will last long enough in this configuration that the complaints would take some time to come in - or the part/car would be replaced/changed prior to it mattering...

That said - Ford put a boot on there, I would/will put a boot on there, seems like a silly thing to cut a corner on.... I don't like dirt in my moving parts regardless of whether it is fatal or not...

Color me biased by the other corners cut on the design leaving me to assume the worst...

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back