New Motor... Need Help?

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
I started the car today.. Stockblock, Cobra crank,rods,and manly pistons...also, I put BBR ported heads on it..
The problem I am having is it is running extremely rich..(smokes,and misses).
the wideband reads as low as 6.0 at times??
Would thes mods need a complete retune?
I also put steeda delete plates on.(i thought maybe these were my problem,so I put the stock plates back in,but no change???
Would the ported heads be enough to require a new tune??
I put a larger 76mm turbo on. But on test drives have not even been into boost yet?
Has anybody with a new motor setup had to get a retune??

psfracer

billy badass
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
If you put a larger turbo on, did you mess with the injectors? I am running 60# injectors and I know that had to be addressed in the tune or the car would run really rich.

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
No larger injectors yet... I just assumed It would still run the same with the tune I had. The only real change is the ported heads? The larger turbo will not really affect anything unless I get on it.. I can barely drive this thing around normal now?.. My question is will the heads have that much of effect on the tune?? Should I be looking for another cause..
I pulled the plugs,and they are soaked with fuel.
My car before would idle in the 14-15 range on the wideband,now its like 9.0- 10.0???? at Idle??

silverpoison

S197 Team Member
Reaction score
you need to take this bad boy to get a custom tune. be carefull, don't try to get on boost if the car is not running ok.

94tbird

4R70W FTMFW
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
get it tuned immediately. in fact tow it to get tuned. dont chance driving it if its really running that bad

cekim

Large Member
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
+1 on getting it tuned ASAP by someone...

heads shouldn't cause an issue like that by themselves... if anything the turbo and heads will increase the air packed into the cylinder and lacking additional fuel/pressure it will run lean...

There are a littany of reasons to run that rich which will all need to be checked out and corrected. BTW - you might consider having some fresh oil on hand for the tune session - depending on how long it has run like that you have likely dumped a fair amount of fuel in the oil...

Here's an idea of what might cause A/F that far off (in no particular order):

1. cams 180* out - running on 4 cylinders and it just so happens that the side the WB is on is the "dead" side?
2. MAF dead or does not match the tune?
3. O2 sensors dead, contamintated, not connected, etc...?
4. wrong/faulty injectors (but that seems to be ruled out)?
5. COPs not functioining/connected on one side (again, the side with the WB on it - simply not combusting the fuel)?

Hope you find it. I am pretty sure you are going to find its not the P&P heads causing that, but rather something else wrong...

bry9

forum member
Reaction score
+1 on getting it tuned ASAP by someone...

heads shouldn't cause an issue like that by themselves... if anything the turbo and heads will increase the air packed into the cylinder and lacking additional fuel/pressure it will run lean...

There are a littany of reasons to run that rich which will all need to be checked out and corrected. BTW - you might consider having some fresh oil on hand for the tune session - depending on how long it has run like that you have likely dumped a fair amount of fuel in the oil...

Here's an idea of what might cause A/F that far off (in no particular order):

1. cams 180* out - running on 4 cylinders and it just so happens that the side the WB is on is the "dead" side?
2. MAF dead or does not match the tune?
3. O2 sensors dead, contamintated, not connected, etc...?
4. wrong/faulty injectors (but that seems to be ruled out)?
5. COPs not functioining/connected on one side (again, the side with the WB on it - simply not combusting the fuel)?

Hope you find it. I am pretty sure you are going to find its not the P&P heads causing that, but rather something else wrong...

(UPDATE)
You were close.. I had the 02 sensors harness on backwards. The computer thought the left was right,and right was left....
Runs like a champ now.....:rock:

Adam@ST

Official Vendor
Reaction score
(UPDATE)
You were close.. I had the 02 sensors harness on backwards. The computer thought the left was right,and right was left....
Runs like a champ now.....:rock:
I was actually going to suggest this..LOL.
Congrats on the new build and turbo.NOW get it tuned:rock:

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back