New Used S550 or???

What car would you want to drive in the PNW rain if you already had a WRX?

• 11-14 GT

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 15+ GT

Votes: 24 64.9%
  • 08+ Evo X

Votes: 3 8.1%

• Total voters

DV8

Reaction score
Hello S197 forums,

I'm a new guy to mustangs and I've spent a few months poking around on here, SVT forums and a few others trying to learn about the S197 GTs and S550s to try and make my decision easier when I'm going to purchase a new ride sometime this next year.

The reason I'm making this thread is simple, I'm requesting experiences and thoughts from folks who have gone from an S197 GT to an S550 GT or from an Evo X to either, or from either to an Evo X.

So here's the meat of my quandry:

1. Currently own an upgraded 350 whp WRX wagon which I will be keeping

2. Currently own a 370 whp Rotrex supercharged civic Si 4 door which I will be selling

3. Long time GF has the responsible car

4. Want something fun and impractical that I've never tried before that's new enough to not need loads of maintenance.

5. Will take the car to occasional track day, maybe 1-2 drags a year

6. Will use in tandem with my WRX to commute ~30 miles a day round trip

7. I'm looking for a Brembo equipped GT model, with Recaros possible

8. I will be doing an intake header and exhaust on whatever with a tune, would enjoy a paxton 2200 I think, but I don't want the liability of my WRX being high strung and my second car as well. Would probably aim for 450 whp, some weight loss and some RE11s.

9. I'm cheap, or trying to be, so I'm hoping to spend:
    • around 30-34k for a LIGHTLY used S550
    • around 20-24k for a LIGHTLY used S197
    • around 24-28k for a used Evo X

Here's the pros and cons I can think of for each car I'm considering:

11-14 Mustang GT Pros

1. Coyote motor
  2. 400 whp stock, ~450 with bolt ons
  3. clutch, rear diff, other basic maintenance looks simple
  4. mean 1/4 mile
  5. stupid cheap prices with VERY low mileage
  6. Very large aftermarket
  7. Very affordable aftermarket
  8. fair gas mileage
  9. Affordable insurance
  10. 14+ might have warranty

11-14 Mustang GT Cons

1. 8 quarts of oil
  2. Will I feel like I'm getting my $ worth the half the year it pours rain here?
  3. Everyone hates the MT82
  4. Fair handling
  5. Solid rear axle
  6. HARD to resell around here
  7. Big ass tires and wheels are $$$ compared to JDM 17 & 18 235s and 245s
  8. Will I regret not getting an S550 GT instead?

15+ Mustang GT Pros

1. Coyote motor
  2. 400+ whp stock, ~450 with bolt ons
  3. Improved handling from everything I've read and experience
  4. Clutch, rear diff, other basic maintenance looks simple
  5. Very large aftermarket
  6. Very affordable aftermarket
  7. fair gas mileage
  8. Affordable insurance
  9. Warranty
15+ Mustang GT Cons

1. 8 quarts of oil
  2. Will I feel like I'm getting my $ worth the half the year it pours rain here?
  3. Random first year problems
  4. Most expensive
  5. HARD to resell around here
  6. Even bigger ass tires and wheels (19"+) are $$$ compared to JDM 17 & 18 235s and 245s
  7. Less money left over to play with the car compared to a cheap 11-14

Evo X Pros

1. Surgical handling
  2. High redline
  3. Less oil and spark plugs than a V8
  4. Familiar engine bay for me
  5. Uses metric sockets (which I already have a ton of)
  6. Large aftermarket
  7. Usable power in the PNW, don't have to wait for a dry sunny day to go hoon it.
  8. Dungeon rape Recaro front seats
Evo X Cons

1. Didn't feel like I was doing much of the driving even though the results were impressive
  2. Dungeon rape Recaro front seats
  3. laughable gas mileage for a 4 cylinder
  4. iffy 4B11
  5. I already have a turbocharged AWD car, although no nearly as precise to drive
  6. Expensive to get to 400whp
  7. VERY expensive to get to 500whp and beyond (built motor, trans, transfer case, clutch, etc)
  8. Body parts and crazy expensive
  9. Costs more than an M6, Z06, GT500, GT-R, or M3 for me to insure... And it's a fucking 4 door econo-rocket.

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
For 450 whp, you probably won't need the Paxton. I was doing around 410 whp on just exhaust (no headers), CAI, and tune. Intake, headers, and cams will easily cover the rest. BTW stock whp on 11-14's were closer to 360-380 on various dynos. 400 whp stock is a very forgiving dyno. If 450 whp is all you want, it would be better to achieve it N/A to spare you the heat soak issues when you do go to drag.

With the 15's, you'll get a slightly better motor since it carried some tech from the Boss 302's.

For wheel size, don't view that as a con if you want Brembo's. Even Ferrari's run 18s+ for 6 piston brakes. Your brakes have to clear if you want to use the good ones. The Mustang's are 3,600-3,800 lbs beasts compared to JDM's that are closer to 3,000 lbs. Due to the extra weight, you will want wide tires anyways. That's how muscle cars are. My track ones were 18x10's running 295s, and my dailies were the factory 19x9's running whatever the size was from the factory. The wider width helped A LOT.

If you find a used one with less than 80,000 miles, less than 5 years, most Ford dealers will warranty a used car (at additional cost, of course). If you can find a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned), that gets you "like new" condition, finance rates, and comes with extra warranty.

For an EVO alternative, maybe look into the Focus RS when it comes in the Spring? Not sure if it would hit your price range though. Supposed to be a beast of a car when it comes to the US.

Last edited:

ford20

forum member
Reaction score
I know that I can't really compare about either as I still have my Boss 302 but from what I have been hearing people who switch to the S550 love it and don't really regret it.

For your cons on the S197 GT the 8 quarts of oil is a bit much at times I will agree but by the same token, I don't really think of that as a HUGE problem.

Having driven my Boss all year in NY even through the winter, I never really had any issues. During the rain, I was still able to enjoy it as long as you aren't stabbing at the throttle. I've never really gotten the big deal about people when they said the Mustang was terrible in the rain as I never really experienced it as long as you aren't going to lay the throttle down around every corner. A good set of tires is the key I think and I loved my MPSS in the rain.

I guess you can count me on on people who love the MT-82. With the 3.73's and the gearing in it I think it is perfect IMO. Then again I have a Boss which has a different clutch than the GT which may be why I have a different experience? Although the MGW Race shifter and a clutch seems to solve a lot of the issues.

As far as handling goes the Brembo package GT has very similar times as the M3 and handles pretty well. Then you have the Boss 302 which is even better handling. My Laguna Seca I barely even notice the fact that it has a SRA. All of the negative characteristics that are associated with it I have barely noticed unless I hit a road that looks like it was carpet bombed. They are very capable cars out of the box. In fact if I am remembering correctly someone did a comparison between a GT and an Evo in terms of handling. You might want to try and find that on Youtube.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2011-2011-ford-mustang-gt-vs-2011-bmw-m3-comparison/

Last edited:

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Oil costs about $5 per quart. So you have a beef with paying an extra $10 every oil change (twice per year) and think it's a big enough negative to list it as a reason to buy an import? Get the fuck out of here. Just go.

Mr. Q

forum member
Reaction score
Where are you from? I live in Seattle and daily my 2012 gt. Tires. It's what's important. I have continental dws-06 tires and they do better than enough.
If you're trying to save money and don't care about the irs, get a 11-14. You can find them for damn near 15k. Good luck getting a new mustang for under 35k.
Also, 8 quarts of oil as a con? Get outta here lmao. Costco sells oil pretty inexpensively ahaha

MechE

forum member
Reaction score
Of the cars on the list, I've only owned a 12GT, so only looking at your negatives for it...
-Tires and oil are expensive but I drive 4x your commute, so maybe it is not as big of a deal as you may be thinking?
-Dancing in the rain is a blast, not a negative. However, you may want to put some control arms on your wish list.
-the MT82 is not THAT bad, I have 88k on mine. It doesn't like the cold until warmed up, but neither did my RSX MT.
-"fair handling" is more than made up for by the yaw control pedal (the skinny one on the right).

cbass

m̶o̶u̶t̶h̶s̶e̶x̶
Reaction score
Have you considered selling the WRX and buying one dumb car?
Like a GTR?

Just saying...

Grabber5.sl0w

forum member
Reaction score
FWIW you can get a brand new S550 GT for your 31k-34k price range.

Oil costs about $5 per quart. So you have a beef with paying an extra $10 every oil change (twice per year) and think it's a big enough negative to list it as a reason to buy an import? Get the fuck out of here. Just go.
I thought the same thing when I saw that lol.

DV8

Reaction score
Some clarification:

The Paxton was a thought for further down the road, I know they generally make 550-650+ depending.

Tires and wheels were a consideration because of the S550 Brembo requiring 19s, and the S197s requiring 18s. All my cars run 17s atm.

Looks like I found that guy that's hateful to the newbs, nice to meet you.

The stuff I buy is generally more than $5 per quart, so I'd be looking at a $70 oil change with filter to be done every 3k miles (when I change oil on any car I own regardless of "suggested maintenance"), which for me is about 3 times a year or more on one car. Couple that with the $100 oil changes (better oil) I'd be paying for every time I took it to a track and that is going to cost me more than I'm accustomed to in oil in one year.

I'd say with track days I should expect 5 changes a year or so, costing me about $410, vs $205 in a 4 quart 4 cylinder. Depending on what you put in and how often you put it in it's about a $17 a month increase, which if we were talking about raising your insurance by that much would probably not be a welcome addition. It's a consideration regardless, as any expense is, and telling me off for noting it seems absurd.

Have you considered selling the WRX and buying one dumb car?
Like a GTR?

Just saying...

I've considered something singular and more radical like an M3, Z06 or a used GT-R, but I don't like all my eggs in one basket and buying a used supercar can be risky. Plus I like having cars that I can beat up a little bit, expect some body damage, some toasted clutches, some issues here and there. I don't feel so bad dealing damage to two cheaper cars, and the repair bills are smaller and spaced out further with two more "pedestrian" cars. Plus my WRX is an offroad car, and is set up as such, it's not some slammed hella-flush show piece.

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
if you shop smart you can get quality oil (full synth) with a filter for ~$5-6/qt, depending on brand and sale

and if you are buying quality oil and doing mostly highway driving, changing the oil every 3000 is wasteful.

skwerl

tree hugger
Reaction score
Actually I'm usually quite pleasant with newbs. You haven't met the newbie hater yet.

And talking down to me because you think spending $70 per oil change makes you 'special' isn't working. Anybody who spends that much on oil is a fool, regardless of what you're planning on doing with the car. Just keep on assuming I don't have a clue of what I'm talking about. :beerdrink:

stkjock

---- Madmin ----
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
S197 Team Member
Reaction score
I just spent $77 on my oil change... :help:

buy I only need to do it once a year...

Boaisy

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Amsoil oil and filter is about $100 shipped, and I changed it at least twice a year. More often depending how many events I attended.

Support us!

Support Us - Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Sponsor Links

Banner image
Back